Thread: Naval near miss.

Default Naval near miss.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...tion-navy-says
    Oops. Two toots mean turn left, right?

Default Re: Naval near miss.

.......any one for port?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Student drivers?

I'm guessing that one ship's captain is looking at retirement now?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I see no real problem here. If the story led me to some correct inferences, Harpers Ferry was a bit inside, a bit on the port side of the turn while Momsen was on (for her) the starboard side of the channel.

About the only thing to do was for Momsen to swing hard to port, as she did. She should also have given two blasts on her horn. It appears that Harpers Ferry attempted to turn starboard, as if this was a normal meeting. This might have worked depending on the channel boundary. A sound signal and VHF hail were called for and we don't know about that.

The rules indeed state that on meeting both boats should steer such that they pass port side to port side HOWEVER several rules (2 and 8 spring out of memory and I may have the numbers wrong) state that notwithstanding the letter of the rules, do what it takes to avoid collision.

Harpers Ferry appears to have ineffectually attempted to follow the rule while Mamsen followed the ultimate rule, don't hit the the other guy.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 12-01-2022 at 10:30 PM.

An analysis

Some detail I'd not gleaned from the story, especially the Momsen and the pilot boat.

Normally #16 is full of Pan Pan chatter about this or that ship leaving/arriving a given port.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Normally #16 is full of Pan Pan chatter about this or that ship leaving/arriving a given port.
    Navy ships are notoriously silent...

We once had a near miss with a Canadian destroyer, appearing out of the fog trying to cross athwart of us and our 800 feet of towed barges in Chatham Sound.
    We had spotted the "target" on radar and been asking for radio contact for a half hour or so.
    Quiet, not a peep ever, even though we were less than 1/4 mile apart when we finally saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Navy ships are notoriously silent...
    A tugboat driver I know out of Bremerton hates the navy. He's convinced they couldn't navigate their way out of a wet paper bag.

The attack sub that recently ran into the bottom while almost a mile off course with two non-functioning depth sounders would seem to confirm his opinion.

Friend of mine who used to skipper a destroyer, on this:

"I guess the ship drivers during my tenure were more aware of our surroundings."
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)