Thread: Carnian Pluvial Episode

Default Carnian Pluvial Episode

news to me. It rained for 2 million years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnian_pluvial_episode

The Carnian pluvial episode (CPE), often called the Carnian pluvial event, was an interval of major changes in global climate and the dominant plants and animals, or biota, of Earth that occurred during the Carnian age of the late Triassic period. It occurred over several million years (approximately 234-232 million years ago), across the boundary between the Julian and Tuvalian subages of the Carnian.[6][7] It led to the evolution and diversification of many important groups of life, including the first dinosaurs, lepidosaurs (ancestors of modern-day snakes and lizards), and calcium-containing microfossils, as well as a wider array of conifers and stony corals.[8][7][9] The CPE also led to the extinction of many aquatic invertebrate species, especially among the ammonoids, conodonts, bryozoa, and crinoids.[6]

Default Re: Carnian Pluvial Episode

Extinction isn’t just a goodbye cruel world but a hello new world. Homosaps is like crack in the biosphere. Burned brightly for a few centuries then the smoke cleared,

https://scitechdaily.com/discovery-o...ion-years-ago/

“The eruptions peaked in the Carnian,” says Jacopo Dal Corso. “I was studying the geochemical signature of the eruptions a few years ago and identified some massive effects on the atmosphere worldwide. The eruptions were so huge, they pumped vast amounts of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, and there were spikes of global warming.” The warming was associated with increased rainfall, and this had been detected back in the 1980s by geologists Mike Simms and Alastair Ruffell as a humid episode lasting about 1 million years in all. The climate change caused major biodiversity loss in the ocean and on land, but just after the extinction event new groups took over, forming more modern-like ecosystems. The shifts in climate encouraged growth of plant life, and the expansion of modern conifer forests.

“The new floras probably provided slim pickings for the surviving herbivorous reptiles,” said Professor Mike Benton. “I had noted a floral switch and ecological catastrophe among the herbivores back in 1983 when I completed my PhD. We now know that dinosaurs originated some 20 million years before this event, but they remained quite rare and unimportant until the Carnian Pluvial Episode hit. It was the sudden arid conditions after the humid episode that gave dinosaurs their chance.”

Does humid equal necessarily rain?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Does humid equal necessarily rain?
    it did then but when it’s really humid who can tell? I bet they had some impressive ferns.

Got time for a little Carlin?

https://youtu.be/7W33HRc1A6c

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

always