Thread: Plastic frames for a Halibut Schooner

Default Plastic frames for a Halibut Schooner

I have recently used plastic framing as replacements for original Oak frames and sisters on a 1940 Vancouver Shipyard Halibut schooner. They have served well. Has anyone seen other types of replacement framing used?

Default Re: Plastic frames for a Halibut Schooner

Halibut schooner? So like 6"x6" sawn oak frames originally? And you replaced those with plastic?

Not all of them I hope....

is this classified under abs or lloyds

is it hdpe or alkathene
    High-density polyethylene - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I have recently used plastic framing as replacements for original Oak frames and sisters on a 1940 Vancouver Shipyard Halibut schooner. They have served well. Has anyone seen other types of replacement framing used?
    who surveys and insures your boat

There is precedent.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The thing that worries me about that shortcut is this.
    Steamed wood is flexible enough to bend and twist into place when hot, but then sets in its new configuration.

Does the plastic take set and stiffen up, or are you left with a flexible hull that works and frets the fays, loosening the structure?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I know people have used plastic for frames but for pitys sake isnt there enough plastic in the oceans already, what happens when the boat reaches the end of its life? dumped or landfill?
    I know it might be a way of keeping an old boat going but is it that much cheaper than timber?

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

I have declined jobs on boats that had been partially reframed with plastic.

I have seen first hand the result of the plastic frames stretching and screws pulling out of the plastic... That is one of the worst methods of boat repair that I have seen... next to the ferrocement shell I saw....
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Pretty sure I know both the boat and the repair very well, in fact if this is the boat I think it is I'm one of the people who did the work. In regards to other methods, No, certainly in my opinion that was the best available repair for the time and place, no good way to put new oak frames in without massively opening up the hull. If this is the boat I think it is, the Plastic was HDPE and fasteners pulled the planks back to proper shape.

Nicholas

Plastic has some applications, like exterior rubrails and crab gear chafing. Those pieces are sacrificial and expected to be replaced. As true permanent structure? The plastic expands and contracts differently than the wood around it in reaction to temperature and moisture changes. Over the long run, that means areas of weakness and broken/weakened fasteners. Then there's the wood/HDPE moisture barrier, begging to start rot if the moisture accumulates against the HDPE structure.

While it may have its applications, I wouldn't substitute plastic for wood in structural components of a wood boat.
    1960 LeClerq 36' Commercial Salmon Troller F/V Alcor

The HDPE I'm familiar with from making sleds has a large expansion-contraction coefficient. Wouldn't that open up the seams if you steamed into warm water?

Not a lot of that in the PNW, I know, but still...

Watching my hdpe water tanks deform to the match the support structure over time has convinced me plastic is a poor choice for structural replacements. It just deforms so... plastically....

It's fairly strong, just not stiff at all, and prone to creeping over time.

Seems anywhere hdpe could be used, a laminated stack of wood could also be used for much greater stiffness,