Thread: Danny MacAskill Postcard from San Francisco

Default Danny MacAskill Postcard from San Francisco

Default Re: Danny MacAskill Postcard from San Francisco

Good stuff. I appreciate they show (some of) the goofs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Good stuff. I appreciate they show (some of) the goofs.
    yep, you have to be good at falling to not get too damaged. Skills on skills. It’s the jumps up stairs that get me. Taking momentum up with a twist.

An amazing amount of work involved in that video. A couple of years ago, Red Bull filmed a similar video in Tacoma. This involved a rally car. We watched them set up and film the car speed across a bridge, do a handbrake pivot, and return. We watched for an hour and a half. They’d set up before we got there, and were taking down when we left. The scene in the final video is about 3 seconds long.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

In his quest to be the best..how many bones were broken? Learning curve question...

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/other...ng-top-1396952

Hundreds of attempts can mean injuries and MacAskill has broken more than 20 bones, although ask him about the physical cost of his career and he downplays it.

ďYeah, Iíve had loads of annoying little injuries but bones heal and unless they heal funny or you break them right in the joint, if itís a nice clean break, youíre back on the bike in six to eight weeks. But back in 2009 I tore a disc in my lower back and that was definitely the most annoying. Because itís long-term, comes and goes, and makes my left leg weak. Itís a bit weak already because Iíve broken the knee cap, torn my meniscus and broken my foot a number of times, but the atrophy from the trapped nerve doesnít do it any good. Itís manageable though,Ē he says and grins.

It probably helps that he doesnít have to sell the farm when he gets hurt, too. I simply cannot risk the costs associated with major injury, anymore, which keeps me grounded more than anything.

Some days I really miss jumping my bike. And, some days I canít make a fist or keep hold of a screwdriver, and I curse ever having learned to jump a bike.

One of the ďkidsĒ I mentor just broke his ankle, and heís going insane. 6-8 weeks is an eternity when youíre in your 20s.

And, yes. If Iíd int have to worry about losing everything to doctor bills, Iíd do,all,of that except the front flips. Never learned those; they were after my time. Iíd love to do another back flip though. Just one more.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It probably helps that he doesn’t have to sell the farm when he gets hurt, too. I simply cannot risk the costs associated with major injury, anymore, which keeps me grounded more than anything.
    also, getting old sucks ass some days
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    also, getting old sucks ass some days
    Yeah. Iím not old, yet, though. Not yet. I can still wheelie for a half mile or more, and I still huck stair sets; the monster truck is awesome for hucking stairs, but I limit myself to small sets, these days. Less than 8 stairs. Anything more hurts my wrists something fierce.

My balance game is still on point, too. Hopping and balancing on curbs is still super fun.

Yeah. I’m not old, yet, though. Not yet. I can still wheelie for a half mile or more, and I still huck stair sets; the monster truck is awesome for hucking stairs, but I limit myself to small sets, these days. Less than 8 stairs. Anything more hurts my wrists something fierce.

My balance game is still on point, too. Hopping and balancing on curbs is still super fun.
    You still have some serious shwing. It is impressive you still got the hair and wild side to even do wheelies, curbs and jumps like you do.

As Pauls says, getting old sucks ass some days . I have noticed the ground is also harder and less forgiving than it used to be.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

The tennis net and the chain impressed me (not that I could do any of the rigid objects). Those probably took a lot of tries, but at least the fall was short.

4D26FAEB-3335-4758-80F3-647C50764681.jpg
    I don’t have any way to share videos, here. Thank goodness. Hahaha. But, yeah, I can still ride a bike like a goon. A bit.

Ain't no WAY I’m balancing on a tennis net. No way. Although, my homie Tate can balance on a chain, and I know a few dude who can ride on handrails. Not grind on pegs, but ride on top of them with their tires. Guys with balance like that are few and far between.

The crew of 5 following him around with a multiple cameras including a drone...

Imagine if we did that for Rob! Hey - that's an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The crew of 5 following him around with a multiple cameras including a drone...

Imagine if we did that for Rob!
    We would have the worst cycling video of all time. I keep trying to get Quad to help me film, but heís busy customizing and photographing toys, and playing music.

A good film crew and post production really makes these videos special, though. I know a couple guys who ride for RedBull, and the company is mad supportive.

Too bad I ainít that good, anymore. Hahaha.

We would have the worst cycling video of all time. I keep trying to get Quad to help me film, but he’s busy customizing and photographing toys, and playing music.

A good film crew and post production really makes these videos special, though. I know a couple guys who ride for RedBull, and the company is mad supportive.

Too bad I ain’t that good, anymore. Hahaha.
    Dude I got a cool a$$ video gag plan! What size is your head so we can get you a stovetop hat.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 11.14.16 AM.jpg

Abe Lincoln on a trick bike - end pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Oh, I can make a prop hat to fit over the helmet. I absolutely NEVER ride a bike or skateboard without a helmet, anymore. Truthfully, I donít ride skateboards much, at all, anymoreÖ

One Wheel Abe is a great gag. A GREAT gag. Four score and seven blocks ago, I started this wheelieÖ

Oh, I can make a prop hat to fit over the helmet. I absolutely NEVER ride a bike or skateboard without a helmet, anymore. Truthfully, I don’t ride skateboards much, at all, anymore…

One Wheel Abe is a great gag. A GREAT gag. Four score and seven blocks ago, I started this wheelie…
    I am so in on this. Think about what you'd like, some cool locations and interesting ways we could do this.

should have my new new 4k video rig on and the video boom jib with a gimbal/car mount should be done soon. I do think i have about 50'x8' feet of green screen paper which could come to some use. Reflectors to light it up. damn - it would be sweet.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-30-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Oh, man. Iím pretty sure some of my buddies would hype that clip up, too. We might could score you a few gigs! Iíll definitely do some serious thinking and scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    The tennis net and the chain impressed me (not that I could do any of the rigid objects). Those probably took a lot of tries, but at least the fall was short.
    I am surprised they got permission to ride in some of the places shown given the scarring that skateboarders and bike tires can do. Anyway it’s wonderfully sentimental and reminds me of slipping through the workaday world on a bike. I was just 18 when I settled into the Richmond district riding my bike everywhere.

I tried, but he has another amazing video I would like to add. Could not figure how to do that - can anyone explain it to me easily? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wine47 View Post
    I tried, but he has another amazing video I would like to add. Could not figure how to do that - can anyone explain it to me easily? Thanks
    Open the video, right click on it, click on "Copy Video URL", come back here, click on Insert Video icon (looks like film clip) . past URL into box that opens, click post reply. This might vary according to your device and operating system.

Another Danny MacAskill video. Thanks to Jimmy W.

https://youtu.be/xQ_IQS3VKjA

He rides a Santa Cruz!

Danny MacAskill in SF: Behind The Riding