Thread: Do You Know the Way to Mystic Seaport?

Default Do You Know the Way to Mystic Seaport?

I plan to attend the WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport in 2023 but I donít know the best way to get there. Since I live in the PNW I would leave from either PDX (Portland) or Sea-Tac (Seattle-Tacoma) airports and fly to some airport on the east coast; Boston, New York, Newark, ???

Once I arrive at the airport, are there shuttles buses, trains or do I rent a car to get to Mystic?

Once in Mystic do I need a car to get around, can I walk or take a cab/Lyft/Uber?

Is it better to get a place close to the seaport or be out aways to have better or cheaper accommodations? Most of the hotels in Mystic are fully booked or are very expensive.

I plan to spend 5 to 7 days at Mystic and plan to see some of the other sights in the area.

Randy
    Randy's Boat Shop

Default Re: Do You Know the Way to Mystic Seaport?

Have no idea about the logistics of the rest, but for accommodations would a Camper van suit? Transport and accommodation in one.

If you fly to Boston, you can take a shuttle or taxi to South Station and then train to Mystic. If you book lodging along Rt 1 (near the train station), you can walk to town center or the Show easily.

You can fly direct to Boston, the nearest major airport with probably the most direct flights. About 100 miles. Amtrak, or rental car to Mystic.

There is Bradley International Airport in Hartford , CT, about 70 miles away. Rental car to Mystic.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thad and Kevin,

Thank you for your suggestions. There is a direct fligth from PDX to Boston so i will look into using Amtrak or a rental car to get to from Boston to Mystic.

Randy
    Randy's Boat Shop

Providence, RI is half the distance to Mystic as Boston. I think that’s where I picked up Lee Baxter when he came to the Show. It maybe that was because of a train snafu. Providence to Mystic is a 45 minute drive.

I would second looking into flights into Providence R.I. It is a smaller and much more convenient airport all the way around, and only 45 min from Mystic.

It's best if you can stay in town, but yes $$$$. The hotels up the street by rt.95 are cheaper and still within walking distance of the seaport. 15 minute walk. If your within a mile or so of the seaport you shouldn't need a car. You'll be able to find everything you need. A great town have fun.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

I looked into flights to Boston and Providence. The flights to Providence were a little cheaper than Boston but were 2 to 3 hours longer than the direct flight to Boston. I booked a direct flight on Alaska Air. The SL1 bus leaves every 15 minutes and is free from the airport. I will have a couple of hours to kill waiting for the Amtrak so I will have time for dinner. After some misadventures trying to get information abut the various hotels I chose the Taber Inn. It is a mile walk to the seaport and seems like a nice place; lots of good reviews.

I am going take in some of the sights in the area like the Submarine Force Museum and the United States Coast Guard Museum in New London. I will welcome other suggestions of places to see and recommendations on restaurants.

Randy
    Randy's Boat Shop

If you like a real old-time diner for breakfast and lunch I can recommend Norm's in Groton...

https://www.facebook.com/NormsDinerGroton/

If you have a taste for Indian cuisine give Mirch Masala a try, also in Groton...

https://www.mirchmasalaus.com/Home.aspx

...and, you can't go home without trying a lobster dinner at Abbotts. It's close to Mystic, very casual, and you can get your own picnic table on the bay.

https://www.abbottslobster.com/

Give us a review of Mystic Pizza while you're there.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Captain Daniel Packer Inne It's a little fancy. But just go to the pub downstairs . Mystic pizza never really did anything for me. Just ok pizza but a fun place to visit.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

You should check to see if Uber etc is working in Mystic otherwise you'll need a car to get to New London.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Randy, be sure to visit us at the Chase Small Craft booth.

Make sure to get over to Israel Beam and see the TSCA folks and small craft there.

The Show is always something to look forward to. Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
    Clint Chase
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

The thread title reminds me of the old joke.

So, to paraphrase it:

Q. How do you get to the Mystic Seaport WoodenBoatShow?

A. Sand & Varnish. Sand & Varnish. Sand & Varnish.

Jeff

Rossie Mill boat storage will be open at least a couple of the days. I usually lead a couple of tours up there. People like it.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Rossie Mill boat storage will be open at least a couple of the days. I usually lead a couple of tours up there. People like it.
    Understatement of the month.

A bunch of us went to the submarine museum last year after the Show. Really neat place.