Thread: Testosterone + beer + motorcycles

Default Testosterone + beer + motorcycles

Big U.S. motorcycle rallies linked to surge in organ transplants

Motorcycle rallies that bring thousands of enthusiasts together to ride and roam on two wheels can increase regional rates of lethal crashes, according to a study linking the events to surges in organ donations and transplants.
    In an analysis of U.S. regions where seven annual motorcycle rallies took place from 2005 to 2021, the daily number of organ donors increased 21% during the events compared to the four weeks before and after, according to the study from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital that was published in JAMA Internal Medicine. The daily number of transplant recipients rose 26% during the rallies.
    Rallies such as Daytona Bike Week in Florida and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota fetch hundreds of thousands of visitors over as much as 10 days, with participants often coming from long distances. The data suggest that one additional person will become a donor and six additional patients will receive transplants in the regions around the events for every two major motorcycle rallies. While the first priority should be saving lives, doctors should also be ready for a sharp increase in life-saving organs, the researchers said.
    “Efforts should be taken to anticipate and translate eligible deaths from these events into organ donations,” they said in the study. More than 100,000 people are on a national transplant waiting list, with 17 people dying each day waiting for organs, according to the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration website.
    Earlier studies have linked motorcycle rallies to trauma cases at local hospitals and excess motor-vehicle fatalities. Among half a million attendees at Daytona Bike Week in 2000, 570 people were involved in 281 motorcycle crashes that led to 72 hospitalizations and 11 deaths, according to a 2003 study in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.
    Multiple factors may lead to the increase in crashes, the researchers said. Traffic infrastructure in rural areas where rallies are held is is suited for smaller populations and less traffic. Motorcyclists involved in crashes tend to be older, male and likely to engage in risky behaviors, like drinking alcohol before riding, according to an analysis in 2021.
    Rally organizers and local officials should be aware of the risks that the events present, according to the authors, who studied records from more than 10,000 organ donors and 35,000 transplant recipients. Organizers should pay attention to traffic management and encourage helmet wearing and safe operation of motorcycles to improve event safety, the authors said.
    “The spikes in organ donations and transplantations that we found in our analysis are disturbing, even if not entirely surprising, because they signal a systemic failure to avoid preventable deaths, which is a tragedy,” said David Cron, a clinical fellow in surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital who led the study. “There is a clear need for better safety protocols around such events.”

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Testosterone + beer + motorcycles

As I get older, I've lost interest in beer and motorcycles, and my testosterone levels are barely detectable. Of course, no one would want my raggedy-ass organs anyway.

Motorcycle riding raises testosterone levels. A good ride is pretty damn exciting. I feel much better for it; my personal world that benefits around it. Anything I can do to lift my natural levels is a step in better emotional health. In turn I am a better man.

Drinking beer while doing anything which requires some skill, good judgment, balance and eye hand coordination is silly. Drinking and intoxication has no business when involving motorsports, machinery and when one is responsible for others.

I do note that smoking weed and taking edibles although not fully covered in this thread is equally dangerous.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-29-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Back when I worked EMS we referred to them as donorcycles

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Griffin View Post
    Back when I worked EMS we referred to them as donorcycles
    Yep. I would imagine the 'donor industry' might want to sponsor more rallys. Looks the good business model.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

My late brother-in-law was an orthopedic surgeon in New England. Every Spring he could rely on a huge increase in his bookings as young studs on crotch rockets, eager to get out there after a winter of inactivity, would crash in droves all over the place.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The ortho clinic I used to refer to had a large Kawasaki poster - 'Kawasaki lets the good times roll' - in their waiting room.

“The spikes in organ donations and transplantations that we found in our analysis are disturbing, even if not entirely surprising, because they signal a systemic failure to avoid preventable deaths, which is a tragedy,” said David Cron, a clinical fellow in surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital who led the study. “There is a clear need for better safety protocols around such events.”

I'd have thought that it would be worth encouraging these guys, each one would save several which would be the direct opposite from "tragic".

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

It's not like the bikers are being coerced or encouraged to take the risks. In fact, with a bit of deliberate social engineering and a PSA campaign we could establish a positive culture of heroic organ donation. As long as the bikers do their thing so as to not take out the vacationing stationwagon full of innocents. How about next to the commute lane an exclusive donor bike lane.

A now retired friend made an excellent living making prosthetic legs and arms. He claimed that the motorcycle industry bought his yacht and house, generally made him rich.