Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model 2 Sub $30K Entry Level EV

Default Tesla Model 2 Sub $30K Entry Level EV

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 5.23.15 PM.jpg

Nice looking car, horrible owner of the company, great car.

Some rumors are coming out this week about Tesla’s upcoming $25,000 electric car, but I think it’s better to temper expectations about the timing because of two words: battery cells.At Tesla Battery Day last year, CEO Elon Musk announced that Tesla will be making a $25,000 electric car.

The CEO commented in the announcement:
    Tesla will make a compelling $25,000 electric vehicle that is also fully autonomous.
    He made it clear that this new price point is achieved through Tesla’s new battery cell and battery manufacturing effort, which could reduce battery costs by over 50%.

The $25,000 Tesla electric car has been likened to a new electric hatchback that Tesla has been planning to produce at Gigafactory Shanghai in China and export globally.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Tesla Model 2 Sub $30K Entry Level EV

<yawn>
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If we ever go back to being a 2-car family, I will be interested.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I thought this was "interesting".

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

GM unveiled a sharp-looking Equinox EV, which the automaker says will start at just $30,000 – it will be added to the Chevrolet EV lineup in fall 2023.

Tesla has a fleet of mobile repair units that can perform many services in owners’ driveways. But, for more complicated repairs, owners must bring their cars (or have them towed) to service centers that can be hundreds of miles away.

General Motors has a network of thousands of dealerships – so many that, the company estimates, 90% of Americans live within a 10-mile drive of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    GM unveiled a sharp-looking Equinox EV, which the automaker says will start at just $30,000 – it will be added to the Chevrolet EV lineup in fall 2023.

Sat in one yesterday it looks way better in this one photo than it does in person. Oh and a seriously crappy interior.

Also I was psyched to see the new Cadillac lyriq which also looked great in photos and horrible in person, way to big, poorly proportioned, and that rear end hatchback bleaaak. I will say the interior is top shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Sat in one yesterday. . .
    at least from gm we know its real

how long ago tesla gave up taking orders for the cybertruck???

Tesla has a fleet of mobile repair units that can perform many services in owners’ driveways. But, for more complicated repairs, owners must bring their cars (or have them towed) to service centers that can be hundreds of miles away.

General Motors has a network of thousands of dealerships – so many that, the company estimates, 90% of Americans live within a 10-mile drive of one.
    I have a passenger rear taillight that is getting condensation so I put in a service request on the mobile app. They are sending a mobile repair out on Dec 1st at noon. The same thing happened with the drivers taillight and the mobile repair unit came by swapped out the taillight in 5 min in my driveway and he was on his way.

dude, you're bragging about multiple weathersealing failures on a 2022year model car that is kept the so cal desert!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    at least from gm we know its real

how long ago tesla gave up taking orders for the cybertruck???
    Have you been to the Tesla exhibit at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA ?
    They have the Cybertruck, roadster, and even have the Tesla Semi on display

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 8.35.20 PM.jpg

https://www.petersen.org/tesla
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-28-2022 at 11:44 PM.

Regardless of the virtues/faults of Teslas... the more of Musk's antics I see, the less inclined I am to do business with him in any way shape or form.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Regardless of the virtues/faults of Teslas... the more of Musk's antics I see, the less inclined I am to do business with him in any way shape or form.
    I find myself more and more in agreement with you.

If I was to buy an EV today I might make another decision.

I have a passenger rear taillight that is getting condensation so I put in a service request on the mobile app. They are sending a mobile repair out on Dec 1st at noon. The same thing happened with the drivers taillight and the mobile repair unit came by swapped out the taillight in 5 min in my driveway and he was on his way.
    That's fine in SoCal, but what about for people in the states where Tesla doesn't have service centers. What about people living in Wetumpka, AL?

That's fine in SoCal, but what about for people in the states where Tesla doesn't have service centers. What about people living in Wetumpka, AL?
    Like I said this is a mobile repair. A service van drives to your home ( when did any car company ever do that ) and fixes a simple problems.

OH and BTW pick a state there's a service center

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/se...nited%20States

For you

Mississippi

Brandon-255 Mar-Lyn Dr. 255 Mar-Lyn DrBrandon, MS 39042 Store : 769 241 6112

Pearl 322 Airport Rd S Pearl, MS 39208Store : 769-572-6291

Roadside Assistance : (877) 798-3752

Georgia

Alpharetta-Roswell1400 Upper Hembree RdRoswell, GA 30076 Store & Service : (470) 415-7902

Atlanta-Decatur1580 Church St.Decatur, GA 30033-5922Store : 404 294 8888
    Service : (404) 294-8888

Kennesaw - Barrett Parkway1875 Greers Chapel Rd NW Kennesaw, GA 30144Store : 770-799-9116
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-29-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Musk reminds me of an anagram

Mississippi

Brandon and Pearl are 8 miles apart.

Greenville, Mississippi (my hometown) to Pearl, 2 hr 12 min (129 miles)

Brandon and Pearl are 8 miles apart.

Greenville, Mississippi (my hometown) to Pearl, 2 hr 12 min (129 miles)
    How far are any of them from you or where most people could afford a Tesla in either states ?
    It's economics and geography, and yes there are PLENTY in SoCal.

I saw a Tesla parked outside of Doe's Eat Place in Greenville. The Signa's that own Doe's are just one of a number of people there that could easily buy a garage full of Teslas. The nearest Supercharger is an hour and a half away, so people better buy a charger also.

As for me, I wouldn't support another azhole.

As for me, I wouldn't support another azhole.
    Again THAT, I can't disagree with. I seriously sometimes feel I need to take a Silkwood shower for owning a Tesla.
    FYI, Tesla's can use BOTH Tesla's proprietary superchargers but EVERY charger everywhere.

Like I said this is a mobile repair. A service van drives to your home ( when did any car company ever do that ) and fixes a simple problems.
    Perhaps 1955? We lived in Whittier CA. I distinctly recall a Chevrolet dealer sending a guy on a 3 wheeler, probably an HD Servicar, to the neighbor’s. I was 10. Got to sit on the motorcycle seat while the guy worked on the car.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

At Tesla’s Q4 2021 Earning Q&A, Elon Musk said that they are currently not working “on a $25,000 car” as they have “enough on our plate right now.”
    This indicates that the development of Model 2 (i.e., the $25,000 car) is currently on hold with no expected release date.

Its 2022
    And yes Elon is opening up the supercharger network to non Tesla's, yea it been said before but AP, NPR & CNBC is reporting it this week.

Exactly why Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, et al., all failed here in the States beach in the 1960s/1970s.

It was wasn't that they were any less reliable than the carp emanating from Detroit -- the problem was they didn't have the network of dealers and parts depots. So when your Fiat did have a problem, (1) your "local" dealer might be a long way from you, and (2) the part you need might be in Italy, and (3) since you likely don't have a shop with mechanics trained on and familiar with your vehicle (or even, back in the day, metric tools), getting your ride back on the road might well take longer than one might expect.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

dude, you're bragging about multiple weathersealing failures on a 2022year model car that is kept the so cal desert!

My 2004 Honda CR-V developed some condensation in a tail light a few months ago -- 17 years on or so. And oddly, the tail lights just keep on working.

But we live in the Glorious Pacific Northwest&trade;️, where we don't see a lot of precipitation.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Dude, I live in the OC I have my car washed every 4 days just to fit in

OH and BTW pick a state there's a service center

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/se...nited%20States

For you

Mississippi

Georgia

Alpharetta-Roswell1400 Upper Hembree RdRoswell, GA 30076 Store & Service : (470) 415-7902

Atlanta-Decatur1580 Church St.Decatur, GA 30033-5922Store : 404 294 8888
    Service : (404) 294-8888

Kennesaw - Barrett Parkway1875 Greers Chapel Rd NW Kennesaw, GA 30144Store : 770-799-9116

Pearl and Brandon MS are about 4 hours from Wetumpka.

The Georgia locations are all in the greater Hotlanta mess, about 3 hours (assuming traffic in Hotlanta is flowing smoothly... not a safe bet)

So a trip to fix an issue kills an e tire workday for one mechanic and takes a service van out of commission for an entire day.

Assuming he knows and has the exact parts needed in his van.

Bill rate for an auto mechanic these days is c. $80-$100 per hour. Dunno what the hourly cost of the service van might be. But it would seem that would would normally be a 30m flat rate fix (billed at maybe $50 plus parts) is now an 8+ hour, $1,000 fix that ties up an expensive piece of equipment for an entire day.

And, I assume, the business is soaking up the entire cost of the service expedition.

This is not how one makes a business profitable.

Might be cheaper to engineer a more reliable vehicle up front.

I'm always amused when I see car ads touting their ranking in the JD Powers surveys of new car owners, usually touting the number of problems encountered in the first 30/60/90 days of ownership.

[Pro Tip: that number should asymptotically approach zero.]

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I find myself more and more in agreement with you.

If I was to buy an EV today I might make another decision.
    To be fair, the automotive industry has a history of jerks running companies. He is not the first and won't be the last. I prefer to think about the engineers.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Tesla still needs to come up with a better front end design.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

! ! ! ! !

Joe, the fact that you have multiple failures doesn't speak well to design, material selection, and manufacturing.

Dude, I live in the OC I have my car washed every 4 days just to fit in
    Wait. Now you're bragging that you're wasting water in the OC, too?
    Last edited by Canoez; 11-29-2022 at 10:21 AM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Is the Tesla Cybertruck real? I find it hard to believe a brand would offer aesthetically normal cars and one butt ugly expensive truck.

November 3, 2022

Tesla’s product development team really is busy. It appears to finally be getting the long-delayed Cybertruck pickup, Musk now saying it will be in production late in 2023. But the carmaker is also working on the also-delayed Roadster and Semi truck. And it has plenty of other distractions to deal with. Barring some surprise, few observers expect to see the “$25,000 car” go on sale before 2024. And with Tesla’s history of missing production dates, it could push out even later in the decade.

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/202...r-development/

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddm View Post
    tesla still needs to come up with a better front end design.
    yup

IMG_1869.jpg

This is not how one makes a business profitable.
    I think we've all lost sight of the fact that Tesla (and, one assumes, other EV manufacturers) are not making money by selling cars. The profit comes from selling carbon-credits to other automakers. Our current government system of subsidy* establishes a system wherein each zero-emissions EV allows a full-emissions SUV to exist. (No one is saving the planet, yet)

Whether the cars are actually any good after year two or three is only relevant if it affects the ability to sell the next car and the next carbon-credit.

*I'm glad that our government subsidizes the development of EV technology, just as I am about the development of any other technology, but let's not bother with the sugar-coating.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.