Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Top This

Default Re: Paul Top This

Iching trigger finger is not good

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Iching trigger finger is not good
    No - you might end up picking up sticks...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

OK - have to tell a story that I think is funny - especially with the insanity of today's gun world.

A friend always kept a loaded 22 near his bed - unless there were any kids around - then it got unloaded & locked away. He group up in way northern Maine, so he'd learned early. Anyway, Phil got remarried in his mid thirties to a woman who'd been divorced from a whack job & was therefore pretty able to deal. About a week after she'd moved in, one night in bed he heard the tell-tale scratching/chewing sound & knew he had a mouse. He turned on the light & could see the mouse creeping along the outside wall. Seems he calmly waited for it to line up with a wall stud (the house was badly in need of paint so studs behind the sheetrock were a different color) & when it did, shot it.

Needless to say, Libby woke up about 3' off the bed yelling at him. Seems even a 22 fired in a small bedroom 3 ft. from your head is pretty loud. He got a serious talking to from her, but his male friends took it in stride: "Yeah, that sounds like Phil - he nailed the mouse didn't he?" Yes he had & no hole through the siding as the bullet buried in the stud.

The next week a friend and I put an ad in the paper (there used to be these things called newspapers that had what they called classified ads) offering "Mouse Safaris" with some description of the thrill of the chase and Phil's phone #. He got a number of calls over the next few weeks - most basically asking WTF but some seemingly wanting to go on one. Never did fess up to having done it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

So I had a little back and forth with my firearm toting friend.

I told him:

I have to let you know I was very upset with you bringing a loaded handgun with us to the auto show. I'm sorry buddy that bothered me and you didn't even bother to tell you friend you were packing. Then I watched you remove an Alice Pack with Gods knows what weapons inside and a bulletproof vest with 4 additional Glock mags mags to go with your buddy to the freaking auto Show ????? Come on you know me, and how I would react. So all I have to ASK IS WHY ?? ALSO I WILL NEVER GO ANYWHERE WITH YOU IF YOU EVER PULL THIS SH!T AGAIN.

His typical ammosexual gun terminology correcting minutia response:

It was 7 additional Glock mag and 3 AR mags and no body died my guns didn’t go on a shooting spree by themselves bullets didn’t start jumping out the magazines and start attacking people have a Midol and relax

I sleep with a loaded gun and knife in the bed every night guns and knives are nothing more than tools

chew on this if and when you have to call 911 to protect you you think about all the things that will happen to you and your loved ones because the minimum response time is 13 minutes and you want to be a cuck simple vs taking ownership of the security and protection of you and your loved ones

I responded :

Yea you forgot the part about respecting and informing your friend. It was completely unnecessary and put me in an awkward position.

I've lived 58 years and never needed a gun, never thought my loved ones safety would require me packing a gun WHEREVER I GO! I never thought about a problem a gun would solve, because it’s never happened, it didn’t happen. We were going to the auto show, beside your guns were already in the car, so how are you going to go get them if we got jumped in an alleyway somewhere? I get your second amendment purest, but no one was going to overthrow the government when we were at the auto show.

Then sent me some gun nut screaming into his phone inside his pickup truck to prove his point

My last response:

Here's the deal I don’t need a tick tock sermon, I need you to respect your friend. I would never come into your home and take your guns and start melting them down without telling you because I’m anti gun. I would respect your position and your home. You chose your need to bring weapons to go to the freaking auto show with your friend without telling him and without regard to your friends feeling. No one jumped us and no tyrannical government needed to be overthrown while we were just looking at cars and grabbing a burger.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

IMO that's fair, Joe.

If he's driving, his rules apply. He can bring whatever "tools" he wants in his own vehicle, but if he wants to drive you somewhere, he needs to answer honestly when you ask if he's carrying. And you get to decide what you'll do when he answers..

If you're driving, your rules apply - and he knows them up front. And knowing them, he gets to decide what he'll do - act like a guest, or get into his own pickup.

Yeah, he may easily need your friendship more than you need his - but it isn't friendship if there isn't mutual respect and honesty.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

58?

dang thats old
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    58?

dang thats old
    Every year I get older the less life in prison is a deterrent

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Every year I get older the less life in prison is a deterrent
    That's tfg's tag line isn't it?

Well ya got some communication going and boundaries made. Cuck and Midol…well Joe it’s always good to know what it takes to be a man.

Frankly Joe... I am surprised that you were surprised. He sleeps with a loaded gun and a knife every night? I have never called anyone 'friend' who did that. My brother did and came to regret it. They shared an interest in sailing and firearms. I am interested in both as well. But my brother is not a nut. Nor does he suffer from unaddressed and untreated PTSD. That fact became a problem. He is no longer friends with that person.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 12-07-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless
    58?

dang thats old
    I used to think so too.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Frankly Joe... I am surprised that you were surprised. He sleeps with a loaded gun and a knife every night? I have never called anyone 'friend' who did that. My brother did and came to regret it. They shared an interest in sailing and firearms. I am interested in both as well. But my brother is not a nut. That fact became a problem. He is no longer friends with that person.
    Tom I laid it out with no BS the choice is his, he can argue gun right and the holy 2nd all he wants but it's his choice if he wants remain friends with me there will be NO FIREARMS IN MY PRESENCE EVER and I will pat him down every time I see him and if he chooses to cary weapons when he's around me we are done.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 12-07-2022 at 07:30 PM.

^
    It really is an issue of respect or the lack of it. Yes?

If you enter my home or my vehicle you respect my views and my rules. Period. You are my friend and are aware of those views and rules. If your convictions simply do not allow you to do that, then do the respectful thing and tell me up front before entering my home or my vehicle. Otherwise begone from my life.

I had this problem with a friend regarding drugs rather than guns. My rule was no drugs in my home or my vehicle. He could not respect my view and my rule. That was the end of the friendship. He ended up serving time in both Federal prison and the State of Virginia penal system.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 12-07-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Well ya got some communication going and boundaries made. Cuck and Midol…well Joe it’s always good to know what it takes to be a man.
    this
    "cuck and Midol" sound like projection to me.
    My German co workers would have said,"klein schwanz",about your friend.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I explained to him that in my opinion there are two primary forces in life, you can choose to live a life of fear and worry, or you can live a life of love and acceptance. With the latter you don’t need to carry a weapon wherever you go. I also said even though I’ve lived in rough places like The Bronx, Philly, Jersey City, North Bergen etc my brain got me out of more jams than a gun ever could. The only saying when all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. He keeps circulate back to the 911 call and police response time. I try to tell him in nearly 60 years the only 911 I know is a Porsche, I’ve never dialed 911 and I don’t ever expect to.

I also tried to tell him I care about him and living in this constant state of paranoia and everyone is out to get him and he has to always protect himself and his loved ones is eating away at his soul. Thats when I get called a Beta Cuck.

have you texted him the jim jeffries videos yet?

What a frightened little man worried about his masculinity
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    have you texted him the jim jeffries videos yet?
    At least 4 X

At least 4 X
    next up: tuller drill reality check w/your yellow pencil

Sounds like time to offload a so called friend Joe. You don't need him, or does he send you customers?
    The burden is on you. Love um Or leave um.

Anyone who calls someone a “cuck” does not deserve friends.

All well in good, except it’s MY CAR, MY RULES !!!! Don’t like it don’t get in MY CAR. Not to mention rude and inconsiderate not to inform the owner of the vehicle.

Also as mentioned it could lead to an EXTREMELY tense traffic stop or possible legal actions in my state.

This whole incident reminds me of a forceful altercation I once had with my ex-father-in-law. He lived in a bucolic upstate town of Millbrook in an beautiful farm house, where we got married. He had an antique gun case with some beautiful shotguns and bolt action hunting rifles. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was the loaded Beretta 9mm handgun he hid in his unlocked nightstand. Again I have no problem with that EXCEPT he occasionally watched my daughter who was a toddler at the time. I confronted him and said unless he secured that weapon in a locked box my daughter will never cross his threshold. He became indignant and preached about his rights yadda yadda yadda. I said LISTEN TO ME from one Dad to another this is not up for debate you either conform or she never sets foot in this house again, simple. There was a long hard starring at each other and he got the point how serious I was.

Oh and every time I dropped my daughter by I double checked, and asked over and over again.
    I agree 100%. I have a hard time with careless gun owners. Guy I worked with in the '90s, kept a loaded revolver between the mattress and box spring, had young kids. I said that is huge tragedy waiting to happen. Oh no, he says, he's told them many times to not touch. So kids always do what you tell them to do? That's one of the definitions of being a kid. Could not convince him. And this was a bachelors or masters degree educated person. But he grew up in a city where home safety was in issue.

Regaring PTSD, I dunno. My experience is most who have experienced violence, avoid violence at all costs if possible. I've always thought that Taxi Driver was less a profile of PTSD than one of social isolation. I could be wrong, pistol might be reaction to perceived threats.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Just gotta ask if he was aware of your rules beforehand? and really could you just not have a conversation that goes more like "hey I would appreciate it if you didn't carry in my car or around me?" instead of "these are my rules!"

Just wondering.

In case you ever wonder PTSD is a real thing. The number that is thrown around is 22 a day. That is 22 Veterans a day that are lost to suicide.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    Just gotta ask if he was aware of your rules beforehand? and really could you just not have a conversation that goes more like "hey I would appreciate it if you didn't carry in my car or around me?" instead of "these are my rules!"

Just wondering.

In case you ever wonder PTSD is a real thing. The number that is thrown around is 22 a day. That is 22 Veterans a day that are lost to suicide.

Chad
    He knows my stance on guns as much as everyone here knows. I believe half of his reason was because he disagrees with my position and wanted to push my buttons, the other half is his obsession with always having a gun with him no mater what because of some deep PTSD and belief that it's always better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

We are taking a break from our friendship at this time.

Y'know, Joe, it's a question of whether this guy was like that with regard to guns, before the military, in fact perhaps being inclined to join them or the police, rather than his attitude because caused by events. Don't get me wrong, PTSD is hugely real, I could explain to those who have not experienced trauma, but I think that more often manifests as extreme fight or extreme flight, rather than calmly staying armed all the time. People who are traumatized try to avoid trauma, most especially the kind to which they were exposed. But maybe a gun is his comfort blanket, and I'm not joking there.

I don't carry a firearm for defense. If I had to use one, due to past experiences and maturity, I would now be more hesitant to use it and not less, avoid the situation, and if I had to fire, would hope I would have enough distance to put one in the shoulder or thigh, stop them before having to take a life. Because I know that taking a life, even if justified, would be very hard for me to take emotionally. And I think that is the biggest problem with a large part of the gun owning crowd, lacking the humanity that hopefully comes with maturity, and this is a huge problem in the increasing violence of all kinds. And is not helped by RWWs weaponizing anger and hatred for their causes. This is big picture emotional health stuff, and our country is completely failing on this. But that would also be my main beef with the NRA, stoking this kind of stuff, not addressing at all the emotional maturity issues of using a gun, because they are in the corrupt pockets of the republican party, a wholely owned subsidiary. Past pro-gun Dems like John Dingell of MI, they wouldn't let in the door these days. Sorry, don't mean to rant.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.