Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Drone AI warfare is the future

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    31,069

    Default Drone AI warfare is the future

    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

    Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Assasination will be even more popular.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Co
    Posts
    8,786

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    full ban on all drones.

    No drones=no no deaths, do the math

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    full ban on all drones.

    No drones=no no deaths, do the math
    you goof

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    beer city usa
    Posts
    118,877

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    given machines of death the power of ai is the dse
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    62,470

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Military drones are new, so defense against drones hasn't has a lot of thought put into it yet. Give it time. Defense may be easier than you might think; they're slow and vulnerable.

    Drones are one thing; AI is another. Related, but separate.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    btw remember the attack on a Saudi oil facility awhile back? Went right through two or three defense systems.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,584

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    My son Jack wears this thing once a week in port in Norfolk as they wait to go to dry dock in Hampton Roads. There are several aboard and always activated - they also are deployed near coasts and in port.

    Without friends none of this is possible.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    30,238

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    so.... what are we looking at, Ted?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    beer city usa
    Posts
    118,877

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    he could tell ya, but then. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Military drones are new, so defense against drones hasn't has a lot of thought put into it yet. Give it time. Defense may be easier than you might think; they're slow and vulnerable.

    Drones are one thing; AI is another. Related, but separate.
    Slow is as good as fast if you accomplish your goal. Vulnerability of an individual unit is acceptable when others survive. MIRVs make ABM even more futile, same with swarming smart vehicles. No doubt counter weapons will be better, when they’ve identified an attack. Imagine a few dozen uavs launched 10 miles apart converging in totally bird like fashion towards a target 20 miles away.

    Congress will pour billions into this like they did with laser weaponry. Good times for the MIC.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    so.... what are we looking at, Ted?
    I bet it has a heck of a manual. And look at all the fans. I wonder if it’ll make your hair stand up? Can you carry it in the rain?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,584

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    so.... what are we looking at, Ted?
    This is a backpack with high powered drone jamming capabilities called DRAKE.

    I gather there was a mysterious drone swam attack in 2019 that got these backpacks really generally issued. These backpacks stopped the drones from getting close. Once the threat is detected - the responsonders go toward the threat aboard wearing the backpack jammer, they can dial the type of drone and seek to bring it down.

    A mysterious series of attacks on US Navy warships off the coast of California in 2019 have been revealed to be caused by a cluster of drones launched from a Hong Kong cargo ship, a new report says.
    The bizarre incidents, which were reported between March 30 and July 30, 2019 on seven warships and had led to speculation that they were caused by unidentified aerial phenomena or UFOs, came to light Friday after the publication of previously classified US Navy memos and ships’ logs, obtained by The Drive under Freedom to Information legislation.
    The drone attacks caused high-level concern because they took place near a sensitive naval training area near the Channel Islands. Nearly two years after the attacks, Marine General Kenneth McKenzie Jr. called them “the most concerning tactical development since the rise of the improvised explosive device in Iraq.”


    It should be also be noted the Israelis deploy attack drones often to shipping along their coast. For its part, Israel has also targeted Iranian vessels suspected of supplying Syria with oil. “Since late 2019, Israel has used weaponry including water mines to strike Iranian vessels or those carrying Iranian cargo as they navigate toward Syria in the Red Sea and in other areas of the region,” reported The Wall Street Journal.

    Last year - the Iranians launched kamikaze drones that hit a merchant ship killing 2 crew.

    Without friends none of this is possible.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    40,134

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    This sounds like so many science fiction stories and they are all threatening to human life. Our technology is far outstripping our ability to survive warfare.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    This is a backpack with high powered drone jamming capabilities called DRAKE.

    I gather there was a mysterious drone swam attack in 2019 that got these backpacks really generally issued. These backpacks stopped the drones from getting close. Once the threat is detected - the responsonders go toward the threat aboard wearing the backpack jammer, they can dial the type of drone and seek to bring it down.

    A mysterious series of attacks on US Navy warships off the coast of California in 2019 have been revealed to be caused by a cluster of drones launched from a Hong Kong cargo ship, a new report says.
    The bizarre incidents, which were reported between March 30 and July 30, 2019 on seven warships and had led to speculation that they were caused by unidentified aerial phenomena or UFOs, came to light Friday after the publication of previously classified US Navy memos and ships’ logs, obtained by The Drive under Freedom to Information legislation.
    The drone attacks caused high-level concern because they took place near a sensitive naval training area near the Channel Islands. Nearly two years after the attacks, Marine General Kenneth McKenzie Jr. called them “the most concerning tactical development since the rise of the improvised explosive device in Iraq.”


    It should be also be noted the Israelis deploy attack drones often to shipping along their coast. For its part, Israel has also targeted Iranian vessels suspected of supplying Syria with oil. “Since late 2019, Israel has used weaponry including water mines to strike Iranian vessels or those carrying Iranian cargo as they navigate toward Syria in the Red Sea and in other areas of the region,” reported The Wall Street Journal.

    Last year - the Iranians launched kamikaze drones that hit a merchant ship killing 2 crew.

    hmm , bet it has a good sized battery pack.
    Made by Northop Grumman, in use since 2016, useful against consumer grade uavs. Disrupts link to drone operator.

    https://news.usni.org/2021/09/07/nav...pellent-system
    Last edited by LeeG; 11-28-2022 at 11:28 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,584

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    hmm , bet it has a good sized battery pack.
    We were speculating with dark humor if he should go to a sperm bank and make a deposit before his exposure becomes damaging.

    In a darwinian Navy way, most who would wear this pack usually have lower ASVAB scores. The marines and army use similar backpacks. The Navy has them in fulltime deployment with hot swappable batteries which separates them from the other services.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-28-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    We were speculating with dark humor if he should go to a sperm bank and make a deposit before his exposure becomes damaging.

    In a darwinian Navy way, most who would wear this pack usually have lower ASVAB scores. The marines and army use similar backpacks. The Navy has them in fulltime deployment with hot swappable batteries which separates them from the other services.
    more.

    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...swarm-incident

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,918

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Dumb of them to tip their hand.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Posts
    4,046

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    at 2:47 AM, Eastern Time, on August 29th…

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    21,200

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Time to review the opening scene of “Terminator”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    35,541

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Military drones have been a thing since the mid-1970's as a minimum.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    29,317

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    So much just comes down to cost/benefit analysis. In a few years drones may turn out to be more vulnerable than battleships but no one is going back to building battleships.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Did Israel have an AI controlled gun to assasinate an Iranian scientist?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    21,200

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    I don't know about Jack's backpack, but the anti drone equipment that shows up after a search seems to be aimed at the communications between pilot and drone. However, there are drones that can be programmed to follow a route to a specific spot without a ground based controller.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    70,613

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    AI has worse to offer than that it seems
    https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...-art/101694260

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    21,200

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    most who would wear this pack usually have lower ASVAB scores
    Where'd you get this bit of trivia? Jack probably wants to know.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    AI has worse to offer than that it seems
    https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...-art/101694260
    I think you may be right given homosaps ability to believe all kinds of stuff and be led around by those beliefs.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    31,069

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Is there such a thing as a directed EMP pulse weapon possible?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

    Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,918

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    I don’t understand why they are not using something like Hevi-shot tungsten no. 4. They seem rather stationary.

    Remove the aircraft designation and let the country gentlemen figure out how to down them.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    68,209

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I don’t understand why they are not using something like Hevi-shot tungsten no. 4. They seem rather stationary.

    Remove the aircraft designation and let the rednecks figure out how to down them.
    45 mph just above tree top level or skirting along the side of buildings puts them where one might not be inclined to shoot or expect them. They aren’t stationary if they’re going someplace w a oneway payload.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,918

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    The vids I’ve seen are stationary and dropping grenades.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    31,069

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    ^ Accurately, too. See the Kontact13 YouTube channel.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

    Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Co
    Posts
    8,786

    Default Re: Drone AI warfare is the future

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    45 mph just above tree top level or skirting along the side of buildings puts them where one might not be inclined to shoot or expect them. They aren’t stationary if they’re going someplace w a oneway payload.
    Typical skeet clays moves at 46 mph,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •