Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automobile troll: You guys are all about BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

Default Automobile troll: You guys are all about BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

But no one ever sings in praise of Cadillac!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Automobile troll: You guys are all about BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

untrue

i sing praises of v12 and v16 cadillac cars of the golden era
    cadillac powered allards
    and briggs cuningham's il monstre
    and the cts v models as well as the new blackwing
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Automobile troll: You guys are all about BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

I like old Cadillacs, but I hate myself for it…

Jeff C
    Dont expect much, and you wont be disappointed

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I recently saw one of these, Cadillac XLR-V. Nice looking automobile.

good looking car jimmy
    attainable too
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

There was a period when Cadillac was a top-tier product - in both engineering and styling.

The Great Depression hit them hard, but they recovered. A conscious decision not to sell to blacks hobbled them. The influx of European luxury brands was a challenge. The oil tumult of the 70' pushed them toward economy cars.

But really, GM pzzz'd their heritage away by taking the easy way out of their situation. Backed away from the challenge. Started selling Chevy's with a Caddy badge. Were slow to recognize the need for a crossover or three in any lineup. They've made some recent efforts to rekindle that spark of brilliance. They've made some headway. My impression is the effort to get back to the golden years will fail, however, due to the lack of the ridiculous levels of commitment to excellence it would require to recover. Recovery will take far more resources than doubling down on their engineering/styling legacy. Now the bean-counters can make a very good case (in the short term) that such a commitment would be so expensive it would not optimize profits. It would take a visionary to see the long-term benefits, and fend off the inevitable backbiting. Visionaries are in notably short supply in today's corporate world, particularly - I suspect - at GM. They'd rather change their focus to an unsophisticated and growing market in China... where the name still carries some cachet... and milk that while they can.
    Last edited by David G; 11-27-2022 at 10:11 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I had a 55 Chevy with a '53 Cadillac engine and std 3 speed (I was too young to know what I had, those are rare)
    It broke axles a lot, and didn't stay with me long, a couple of months maybe...
    Always had a soft spot for '67 Cadillac coupes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I understand some of the newer ones are decent drivers, but what's to praise about 50+ years of bloated poor handling gas hogs?

Please sing it - I'd like to learn.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have some difficulty with the seeming endless TV commercials for the new Cadillac EV - seems all they want to portray is interior controls and glitzy ( read : expensive to replace ) headlights.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

That’s true.

Used to work for a British Subject who drove Cadillacs. He pronounced the brand "Cad-you-lac" like they say "Jag-you-wer".

the dad of my gf in highschool had one. Drove it once. Felt very well insulated from everything outside the car.

My son's got two cars, an NSX and a Cad-you-lac ATX (think I got that suffix right).

Despite his mother always having said, "never love a car, because it'll never love you back".

Yeah, because my brain hears this when I read the thread title

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I met a very attractive young woman in college who's father had given her a Corvette for a high school graduation present. She gave it back and drove her mother's pink Cadillac convertible instead.

It's a convertible, and it's prolly a great car on a long desert highway on the way to the Hotel California, or for eight seniors on the way to the prom, but it ain't no roadster and it ain't no sports car. Just sayin.

A course I know not everyone is into roadsters and other sports cars. You just can't reach some people. That's why we have SUVs. Which is a dumb but obviously successful marketing ploy. They aren't really 'sport' anything, and they aren't even really utility vehicles, as such, more just a car with extra space that's not a station wagon but does the same job, built on a truck chassis, to get mama bear and the cubs up outa the way of granpa's old Buick's two ton bumper in the event of a collision. At the time, just another way for auto makers to turn a design trend into a whole market. Look! Not a car, not a station wagon, not a truck and not a minivan! Relief from same ol same ol is at hand in a brand new ninety-something Ford Explorer, and the rest is pathetic automotive history. At least it helped bury Lee Iacoca's cab forward thingie. Tell me I'm wrong. It'll be easy because I'm just venting.

And actually it's prolly a good thing that real sports cars and roadsters are a distinct minority on the road.

At one time, being “the Cadillac” denoted quality. About a billion years ago, we saw a brilliant one-woman show at the Moore Theater in Seattle. The young performer was a New Yorker named Whoopi Goldberg.
    Part of her monologue was about advertising. One line that got a big laugh was,
    “Mercedes-Benz, the Cadillac of motor cars”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Cadillac (Kettering) spent a lot of research money on making their OHV V-8 quiet. They went to some great lengths to achieve that concentrating especially in piston and combustion chamber design. An unintended consequence is they got notably better fuel mileage than the other ohv v-8 marques in the GM line up.
    Pontiac in particular was a pig, but indeed the Caddy beat all the GM V-8's except the small block Chevy.
    I alway's liked the '67 Coupe de Ville...
    and can tell you that the Cadillac engine is an "interference engine" and you will tag and bend every valve in the thing if you over rev it, which was pretty easy. I only did it once. They are made to be driven sedately.

And the obligatory Cadillac tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Cadillac (Kettering) spent a lot of research money on making their OHV V-8 quiet. They went to some great lengths to achieve that concentrating especially in piston and combustion chamber design. An unintended consequence is they got notably better fuel mileage than the other ohv v-8 marques in the GM line up.
    Pontiac in particular was a pig, but indeed the Caddy beat all the GM V-8's except the small block Chevy.
    I alway's liked the '67 Coupe de Ville...
    and can tell you that the Cadillac engine is an "interference engine" and you will tag and bend every valve in the thing if you over rev it, which was pretty easy. I only did it once. They are made to be driven sedately.
    Wasn't it Kettering who led the development of the electric starter?Whatever happened to the concept car they wheeled out several years ago?

Came across a Cadillac, I believe a CT5, that had been 'massaged' a bit - loud exhaust, fast. I was trying to 'get ahead of traffic' in my wife's X3 - all the encouragement he needed. As he blew by, I saw his license plate - 'YsOfficer'.

Wonder what his insurance is like?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

'59 DeVille, baby, is IT.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I've been waiting for about 10 years for these to depreciate to a more moderate figure, but I think they might be headed in the other direction - this one did not reach reserve at $66 k, despite having 49 k on the odometer:

1949 2 door fastback maxresdefault.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    And the obligatory Cadillac tune.

Hey!
    I thought THIS was the obligatory Springsteen song about Caddys.

https://youtu.be/V4PeT6aeytU

Al Capone had a 1928 Town Sedan

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I thought it was too Kevin!

I'm partial to the three mentioned, as I own each of them. Had a CTS for a few years, and it, too, was a great car ... but I don't have it any longer.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

What, the pink Caddy?

And what others?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

A great Cadillac moment in cinematic history.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Wasn't it Kettering who led the development of the electric starter?Whatever happened to the concept car they wheeled out several years ago?

Needs lower profile tires

1930 Cadillac V16 Speedster Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    1930 Cadillac V16 Speedster Custom
    Minimalism at it's best...