Thread: West Wing

Default West Wing

The West Wing is running on TV through the weekend.

It is staggering how the topics they wrestled with then are still the topics we wrestle with now - abortion, gun laws, the Middle East, radical Islam,... We haven't progressed much. In fact, we've lost ground.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: West Wing

One of my all-time fave tv series.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Over on the Ted Lasso thread someone called it the greatest TV show ever. I immediately thought of West Wing when I read it. Fantastic show (as is Ted Lasso).
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Lest we forget: “Hill Street Blues” & “NYPD Blue”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

The episode with the interns filling in for speechwriters who quit was pretty sexist and diminishing. I'm surprised Sorkin wrote it that way.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    The episode with the interns filling in for speechwriters who quit was pretty sexist and diminishing. I'm surprised Sorkin wrote it that way.
    I had a different read. He (Will Baily?) has never had a real girlfriend. I think that came out in an earlier episode. The four female interns were there because the regular speech writers had all quit in protest. These were the professionals who stayed to do the job that they were underqualified for. I thought it was actually a respectful piece that made men look stupid.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I'm a huge Sorkin fan, but he does have a streak of casual-misogynism that runs through A Few Good Men and Sportsnight and West Wing and Newsroom. Viewed in the time of creation it wouldn't have registered at all, it was always an element of some other very common trope. It's remarkable only in that it's inconsistent with what we know of the rest of his ethos.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Search YouTube for ‘Sorkinisms’…. He shamelessly reuses dialog over and over again.

(Regardless, I agree that WW was a fantastic show… I liked it so much, I actually bought the full DVD set.)
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Search YouTube for ‘Sorkinisms’…. He shamelessly reuses dialog over and over again.

(Regardless, I agree that WW was a fantastic show… I liked it so much, I actually bought the full DVD set.)
    How many times did he use "thing" in a single episode? "They're doing that thing... What was the decision on that thing... There's that thing..."