Thread: Klaatu Barada Nicto

Default Klaatu Barada Nicto

Watched it last night. Still one of the best of its kind.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Klaatu Barada Nicto

not talking about jabba's henchmen in return of the jedi are you?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Klaatu Barada Nicto
    Didn't FredZ have something similar as a sig. line?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Watched it last night. Still one of the best of its kind.
    Way ahead of its time. You could improve the special effects, but it wouldn't improve the movie in any way.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Way ahead of its time. You could improve the special effects, but it wouldn't improve the movie in any way.

not a fan of the jennifer conelly keanu reeves remake?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Gort!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Not really. I'm not sure I've ever watched it through start to end, but what I've seen didn't hold my attention.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

but what I've seen didn't hold my attention.
    Really?

Jennifer Connelly:

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 9.15.12 AM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    It sucked, big time.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The original short story it was based on was even better; 'Farewell to the Master' by Harry Bates, 1940. You can read it here.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

As I have grown, I have found that science fiction has become too much fiction and too little science. I no longer have the innocence that lets me believe.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    As I have grown, I have found that science fiction has become too much fiction and too little science. I no longer have the innocence that lets me believe.
    The Expanse?
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

^ Best by test.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Really? I have found just the opposite. I am amazed at how many fictional things have become reality. Maybe not during the time the sci-if predicted and maybe not an exactly as predicted, but pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The Expanse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Really? I have found just the opposite. I am amazed at how many fictional things have become reality. Maybe not during the time the sci-if predicted and maybe not an exactly as predicted, but pretty close.
    A comment from a real scientist, https://www.sfgate.com/culture/edito...-15919191.php#
    While "The Expanse" gets a lot right, it has some "extreme science fiction" elements as well as one major element that runs completely counter to science, even if we assume the advent of magical technologies.
    Once one resorts to magic, ...
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    The original short story it was based on was even better; 'Farewell to the Master' by Harry Bates, 1940. You can read it here.
    Thanks. It is.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I think science fiction is actually one of the best medium for political discussion.
    Its just not as catchy to say exploration-of-political-scenarios-based-in-the-future-or-on-imaginary-worlds-fiction.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I think science fiction is actually one of the best medium for political discussion.
    Its just not as catchy to say exploration-of-political-scenarios-based-in-the-future-or-on-imaginary-worlds-fiction.
    Absolutely!

Imagine an androgynous world where some few feel the desire to establish their binary sexual identity and the intent of their society to treat them as mentally ill (Star Trek Next Generation).

Imagine two races, one white on the left and black on the right, the other black on the left and white on the right, and they fight constantly over their differences (Star Trek).

Imagine a world where people are expected to commit ritual suicide when they reach a certain age to avoid the infirmity of age and allow the younger generation can move up (Star Trek Next Generation).

And then there is the examination of what it means to be human (Spock and Data).

Sci Fi makes us comfortable with the social issues so we can examine them rationally.

Absolutely!

Imagine an androgynous world where some few feel the desire to establish their binary sexual identity and the intent of their society to treat them as mentally ill (Star Trek Next Generation).

Imagine two races, one white on the left and black on the right, the other black on the left and white on the right, and they fight constantly over their differences (Star Trek).

Imagine a world where people are expected to commit ritual suicide when they reach a certain age to avoid the infirmity of age and allow the younger generation can move up (Star Trek Next Generation).

And then there is the examination of what it means to be human (Spock and Data).

Sci Fi makes us comfortable with the social issues so we can examine them rationally.
    This corresponds well with my own view of science fiction. Good science fiction isn’t about science at all… the science is merely a vehicle to express some sociological, moral, or ethical perspective about human existence. All of Chuck’s examples are certainly good ones… I might add ‘Blade Runner’ (the original) as an exposition on the meaning of life and humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I just finished reading the story linked to above, the original movie, and the remake. (I clearly make poor use of my free time.) The movies appear to represent a reasonable range of stereotypical behaviors. But life is not stereotypical. I guess that is as close to political discussion as I can get.

From your comment I infer that you have had your political views changed by science fiction or you expect others to have changed their views based on science fiction. Perhaps the later is more typical.

I get my political views from my adult kids and adult grandkids. They have much more time to live with my political decisions. But if you have had your political views substantially changed by individuals you have no relationship to - writers of fiction or films of fiction, I think you miss something.
    Life is complex.