Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Movies that have held up and those that don't

Default Re: Movies that have held up and those that don't

The Great Escape with McQueen, Garner, Bronson, Coburn, McCallum, etc. etc.

The original (the remake sucks big time IMHO) Magnificent Seven

Two of the primary "build a team" one by one with fully developed and sympathetic characters and...fantastic soundtrack scores by Elmer Bernstein.

They both hold up very well. Spielberg is rumored to be remaking Bullit, which doesn't need it at all. Bradley Cooper "as" McQueen. It is supposed to be a different case and maybe set in a different time...

"Hope and Glory" is great and maybe not so well known. A semi-serious coming of age during WWII film with great performances.

The footage of the Gloucester Fishing Schooners in "Captains Courageous" cannot be beat for heart swelling, amazing footage of the real schooners. My father worked a little on one of them as a kid, at the docks.

I've tried several times over the years to like "The Unforgiven" but it just doesn't speak to me.

Oh! Not a theatrical release but Netflix, "Godless"! Easily one of the best westerns with fantastic/thorough character development, nice little/realistic twists on tropes and holds up well to annual viewing here. Jeff Daniels' portrayal as the villain is masterful and I never really liked him all that much as an actor 'til this.
    "Lady Mary" from "Downton Abbey" is great in this as a ranch woman, played with depth and feeling and the entire cast is fantastic.

Page four and nobody has mentioned "Jaws"? Definitely worth a re-watch
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    My problem with "JAWS" is that once that got the harpoon into the shark, they'd have tied the other end of the rope to the bow of the boat rather than use barrels.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Two old horror movies: The Thing and THEM are still fun to watch.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Two old horror movies: The Thing and THEM are still fun to watch.
    The '82 The Thing? Awesome, still - we watched it the other night - or the '51 one? ...which just reeks of Cold War paranoia, imo.

Movies that have certainly held up:

The '73 Wicker Man. Just a blast. Christopher Lee's favourite film, and one of his best. My wife, an agnostic from a severe Northern Irish religious background, finds this somewhat horrifying. "Because Pagans". I just laugh throughout. Burn the cop.

Excalibur. No CGI, and easily the best Arthurian translation to the cinema. Of my eight films taken to a mythical desert isle, this is the one I'd save from the waves. Seen it dozens of times, and there's more joy to be found.

And a big shout out to The Mystery Men. It was '99, and - in a world of cinema not yet drowning in blinkin' superhero franchises - this took a very sharp pin and punctured the whole idea. Flawed, yes, but full of great lines and characters. I quote it daily.

Failures?

Top of my list is Close Encounters. Try explaining to your net-savvy kids why the scientists roll a globe down a corridor to determine where the encounter will take place, instead of using Google Earth. And then try explaining why the aliens, who are, apparently, peaceful and lovely, have spent decades abducting people and scaring the c**p out of kids and their parents. It Makes No Sense.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Probably already mentioned, but I watched The Fifth Element again last night. Just gets better with each watching.
    That's a good un. I have a great affection for The Road Warrior, Repo Man, Innocent Blood, La Femme Nikita, and SLC Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    "Support Your Local Sheriff" with Jim Garner and Jack Elam...

As an actor, I loved him!

As a human being, he was a real sh1t!

Read his bio: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000974/bio

"Always fiscally and ideologically conservative, he became politically active in later life when he believed that many of the things he held dear were being eroded by the counterculture movement. He supported George Wallace's presidential campaign in 1968 and in 1972 supported extreme right-wing Republican Rep. John Schmitz (father of Mary Kay Letourneau), as the incumbent President Richard Nixon was viewed as too progressive by many Republicans."

"During the 1960s he was convinced that the anti-Vietnam War and civil rights movements were being run by overseas Communists, and said as much in interviews. He told reporters that he believed the civil rights movement in particular, and the riots in places like Watts (CA) and Newark (NJ), and demonstrations in Birmingham (AL), were the result of perfectly content "negroes" being stirred up by a handful of troublemakers and Communist agitators with an anti-American agenda."

"Members of the cast and crew on the set of his last series, The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967)--in which he played the surprisingly complex role of an ex-army scout trying to undo the damage caused by his being a mostly absentee father--said that he cackled with delight and danced a little jig upon learning of Martin Luther King's assassination."

"Had a bunker on his Los Angeles estate fully outfitted with firearms and survival supplies in case there was an invasion by the Soviets."

"In his later years he was known to canvass co-workers about their voting habits."

"Film editor Stanley Frazen, who was on the set of Brennan's TV series The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967) when Brennan celebrated the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, said Brennan later had another jubilant moment when Robert F. Kennedy was murdered in June 1968. Frazen recalled the cast and crew were "incredulous" at the jig danced by the elderly Brennan when he was told of King's death."

"He once said the 1965 Watts (CA) riots could have been stopped "with a machine gun"."

"Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    The scene with Robert Shaw talking about being torpedoed delivering the Bomb is my favorite scene in any movie. Amazing, powerful....
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Time Bandits I recall fondly.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    The '82 The Thing? Awesome, still - we watched it the other night - or the '51 one? ...which just reeks of Cold War paranoia, imo.

Movies that have certainly held up:

The '73 Wicker Man. Just a blast. Christopher Lee's favourite film, and one of his best. My wife, an agnostic from a severe Northern Irish religious background, finds this somewhat horrifying. "Because Pagans". I just laugh throughout. Burn the cop.

Excalibur. No CGI, and easily the best Arthurian translation to the cinema. Of my eight films taken to a mythical desert isle, this is the one I'd save from the waves. Seen it dozens of times, and there's more joy to be found.

And a big shout out to The Mystery Men. It was '99, and - in a world of cinema not yet drowning in blinkin' superhero franchises - this took a very sharp pin and punctured the whole idea. Flawed, yes, but full of great lines and characters. I quote it daily.

Failures?

Top of my list is Close Encounters. Try explaining to your net-savvy kids why the scientists roll a globe down a corridor to determine where the encounter will take place, instead of using Google Earth. And then try explaining why the aliens, who are, apparently, peaceful and lovely, have spent decades abducting people and scaring the c**p out of kids and their parents. It Makes No Sense.

Andy
    I was thinking of the '51 version, when special effects were limited. Never thought of it in terms of the cold war.

THEM had, for the time, very good special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    As an actor, I loved him!

As a human being, he was a real sh1t!

Read his bio: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000974/bio

"Always fiscally and ideologically conservative, he became politically active in later life when he believed that many of the things he held dear were being eroded by the counterculture movement. He supported George Wallace's presidential campaign in 1968 and in 1972 supported extreme right-wing Republican Rep. John Schmitz (father of Mary Kay Letourneau), as the incumbent President Richard Nixon was viewed as too progressive by many Republicans."

"During the 1960s he was convinced that the anti-Vietnam War and civil rights movements were being run by overseas Communists, and said as much in interviews. He told reporters that he believed the civil rights movement in particular, and the riots in places like Watts (CA) and Newark (NJ), and demonstrations in Birmingham (AL), were the result of perfectly content "negroes" being stirred up by a handful of troublemakers and Communist agitators with an anti-American agenda."

"Members of the cast and crew on the set of his last series, The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967)--in which he played the surprisingly complex role of an ex-army scout trying to undo the damage caused by his being a mostly absentee father--said that he cackled with delight and danced a little jig upon learning of Martin Luther King's assassination."

"Had a bunker on his Los Angeles estate fully outfitted with firearms and survival supplies in case there was an invasion by the Soviets."

"In his later years he was known to canvass co-workers about their voting habits."

"Film editor Stanley Frazen, who was on the set of Brennan's TV series The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967) when Brennan celebrated the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, said Brennan later had another jubilant moment when Robert F. Kennedy was murdered in June 1968. Frazen recalled the cast and crew were "incredulous" at the jig danced by the elderly Brennan when he was told of King's death."

"He once said the 1965 Watts (CA) riots could have been stopped "with a machine gun"."
    I had no idea of Mr. Brennan’s political leanings, how disappointing.

I saw in his bio that he won 3 Academy awards, which is impressive.

He had some great lines in some of his pictures:
    “You was wrong, Mr. Dunstall!”
    ”Was you ever stung by a dead bee?”

BTW, I took the photo at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City. Many old stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood seem to be buried there.
    CA851ADA-1D59-4B19-8D39-C89BED9E6B75.jpg
    Last edited by Ralphie Boy; 12-03-2022 at 11:58 AM.

I was thinking of the '51 version, when special effects were limited. Never thought of it in terms of the cold war.

THEM had, for the time, very good special effects.
    Yes. Meanwhile, and maybe it's just me, but I can't think of many 50s SF films that didn't have a Cold War paranoia. Including the best one of all: Forbidden Planet. What happened to the Krell when they gained unlimited power? ...They all died.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Jack Burton. 'Nuff said.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I got your cold war right here: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    I got your cold war right here: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    A best of all time Spy movie. Arguably the best Le Carre based film. I watch it a couple times every decade since it was released. Can it be said to hold up when it is set in a time, world, and politics that are forgotten today?

My favorite non-trashy flicks: Lawrence of Arabia, Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare in Love, The Princess Bride, Cool Hand Luke, The Riddle of the Sands, Blade Runner, Double Jeopardy, The Thin Man series, Enchanted April, A River Runs Through It, Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring.

I had no idea of Mr. Brennan’s political leanings, how disappointing.
    I know. I hesitated posting that because it has tarnished my ability to enjoy his films. I enjoy his public face much better.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Godfather is a very good movie. I couldn't find it in good quality for a long time but recently I've read about VPN and its benefits. I decided to give it a shot. I found it here and now I have an access to a large list of different movies.
    Last edited by akers; 12-15-2022 at 04:53 AM.

Sort of the opposite of the thread is what probably was a very low budget B movie when it was made and I think today it is an unknown masterpiece and in a decade or two will be a touchstone for what was the American experience. Joseph Strick's 1973 "Road Movie". The opening credits are a priceless industrial landscape and the plot is set in the world before progressives took over Congress. You can feel the pollution/poor air quality. A buddy male trucking movie with a strong female lead, written by a lady Fulbright Scholar, it isn't what it seems. Nothing like Smokey and the Bandit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSnSrrDTZE&t=589s

Some great choices so far, but have to add some dark horses...

A Boy and His Dog
    , with Don Johnson. Dark humor and timeless truths. Surprised it wasn't first out of Pless' mouth.

Angel Heart with DeNiro.

Memento, with Guy Pearce. More creative and excellent noir.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Memento, with Guy Pearce. More creative and excellent noir.
    Oh, yeah. Memento is quite a film. I need to watch that again. Just... Wow.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

How does the WBF feel about Deliverance?

I think it holds up really well. I probably need to read more James Dickey.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Memento is exactly why I sang the praises of those feeder soaps in the Neighbours thread.

Crouching Tiger is almost old enough to vote, still watchable (to me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    How does the WBF feel about Deliverance?

I think it holds up really well. I probably need to read more James Dickey.

Tom
    I was just thinking 'Deliverance' as I scrolled down...

Deer Hunter been mentioned?
    or Midnight Cowboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Deer Hunter been mentioned?
    or Midnight Cowboy?
    I watched Midnight Cowboy again in 2022. It wasn't dated to me.

I have been thinking about Deer Hunter. I avoid it as disturbing but also remember it as meaningful. American death of War and steel. And, I do not even have PTSD, never been in combat. When I joined the Guard in 1979, my company had a Scout platoon that still wore their old tiger striped fatigues. They weren't around long. Only a handful of Vietnam in country vets stayed in my state guard units till retirement. Mostly I would see them in military towns (the South) where they finished as instructors for the Guard units that came for training.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    At this point, Gone With the Wind is just embarrassing.
    Yep. Unwatchable.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

To kill a Mockingbird, as good as the day to was released

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yep. Unwatchable.
    Maybe, but if you don't go through the movie, you don't get to hear Rhett say, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". That's just so soul-satisfying

I remember a movie I really loved but apparently didn't do well. Don't recall the title, but a bunch of kids kidnapped this rich guy, and no one pay the ransom, so he ended up blackmailing his wife, his business partner, and I believe some others. Believe George Maharas (Route 66) was in it.

I remember a movie I really loved but apparently didn't do well. Don't recall the title, but a bunch of kids kidnapped this rich guy, and no one pay the ransom, so he ended up blackmailing his wife, his business partner, and I believe some others. Believe George Maharas (Route 66) was in it.
    ”The Happening”

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    ”The Happening”
    "Ransom of Red Chief" in reverse.

The Grapes of Wrath
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break