X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Re: Biden going after semi-automatics?

Originally posted by McMike
    Yup, and 30 years later, nothing . . . some plan . . . was just smoke and mirrors from my point of view. The country is aching for reform . . . Trump was their last chance since Obama failed them. I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the Tea Party/MAGA, should be fun.
    You just lost me.

The whole republican spin was to repeal and replace the ACA. Why was it necessary to repeal it to replace it? Was there a vote to repeal anything before the ACA passed?

If the GOP actually had a new healthcare bill, all that was needed was passing that bill, and their new system would automatically replace the ACA.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Decourcy
      Wood butcher
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by John Smith
      Buy back needs patients. Assuming, for example, I had guns and no desire to sell them back. Question becomes what my heirs would do with them, which may be some years down the road.
      Well, on practice what happens is that opinions and feelings harden. Those are usually carried down the generations. So I’d expect the same guns to be there 50 years down the road in the same families

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
        can eat fifty eggs
        • Sep 2003

Yup, and 30 years later, nothing . . . some plan . . . was just smoke and mirrors from my point of view. The country is aching for reform . . . Trump was their last chance since Obama failed them. I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the Tea Party/MAGA, should be fun.
        it was a real plan, mike, with real provisions that would have really worked. hillary has always had a path forward, a real path, through the people with the votes and the power, for any idea she championed.

remember the super delegates? that is your path.

the smoke and mirrors has been on the populist left, where ideas abound, but nobody does the work to bring them to fruition. the student debt debacle being a tidy illustration. ideology driving proclamations with no logic, no form, no champion. oregon's gun control ballot measure creates a whole new burden of bureaucracy for our state police--much of it redundant with existing federal law!--with a wave of the hand. no work done. smoke and mirrors.

Comment

• JimD
          Senior Mumbler
          • Feb 2002

Any kind of defensive spray in an enclosed area is a really bad idea, you will always get yourself. You can purchase the gel stuff, which is a bit better, but I'd stick with a good ol claw hammer, short, so it's easy to swing in a hall way, and no one, and I mean no one will enjoy getting even a glancing blow from one. At work, we have a rowdy bunch, we don't allow guns in house but each of the office workers has a gel pepper spray at their desk. We've had two cases of workplace violence, more than likely a few we don't know about, and it's nice to have an option other than letting them fight it out.
          I'm not sure I could swing a hammer fast enough and feel more comfortable with a length of hardwood that I can use the wrist in a that sort of snapping, whipping motion, whereas the weight of a hammer would require more of a (slower) arm swing. As you might imagine I am not a very big strong guy. As for the bear spray, for sure one would want to use it very judiciously indoors. I certainly wouldn't empty the can in my living room or bedroom. Edited to add: My wife just has to sprinkle a little cayenne into a hot dish on the stove and I'm coughing and gasping. So I hear ya.
          Last edited by JimD; 11-27-2022, 04:57 PM.
          There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• CK 17
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Decourcy
            FYI Paul, added to the list on the assault rifle ban coming down the pipe in Canada are such guns as the SKS, the Garand, and in fact a number of hunting rifles including some ruger no1’s and wetherby’s etc.

Liberals have interesting definitions as well
            a well thought out gun ban north of the border, more doing nothing south of the border. I’ll be eagerly watching the results of this experiment

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Comment

• Decourcy
              Wood butcher
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by CK 17
              a well thought out gun ban north of the border, more doing nothing south of the border. I’ll be eagerly watching the results of this experiment

Won’t work specifically because it’s not well thought out.

Comment

• David W Pratt
                • May 2005

It stands to reason that if the left is "bold" enough to scream and yell about gun control, they'd scream and yell about something that most Americans care about and arguably will save more lives.
                Wasn't there a recent news story to the effect that something like six figures worth of lives per year are lost to direct effects of alcohol?
                Intervention there might save more lives.

Comment

• JimD
                  Senior Mumbler
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by David W Pratt
                  Wasn't there a recent news story to the effect that something like six figures worth of lives per year are lost to direct effects of alcohol?
                  Intervention there might save more lives.
                  Prohibition coupled with a semi-auto ban covered by a single piece of legislation. I like it. If only they'd done that before the midterms. Dems woulda kept the house for sure. Edited to add: But as long as they're going after both your guns and your booze they may as well throw in smokes and high fructose snacks and beverages.
                  Last edited by JimD; 11-27-2022, 07:18 PM.
                  There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• LeeG
                    • May 2002

I’d rather fight for universal health care. On the gun control side of things focusing on restricting types of guns is kinda too late. Instead focus on making gun ownership like driving a car. Eff the dumbass 2 nd fundamentalists and their quasi religious delusions. You want to use or own a killing device then get tested,licensed and pay insurance. Moreso for pistols than long guns and sure, eventually phase out semi autos and restrict magazine size but the culture of America is steeped in fantasy violence without consequences. Our CMIC being a prime example.

Comment

• David W Pratt
                      • May 2005

I'd love to see universal health care. Health care, not insurance industry help. Since the Affordable Care Act was passed, health care costs have risen, and US life expectancy has declined.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

I'm paying $900/month for the "silver" plan.... With an $8000 max deductible and then co-insurance. . .
                        how much would you consider a fair amount to personally pay in taxes each month for universal health care for yourself plus your fellow citizens?
                        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• sonofswen
                          • Apr 2019

Australia confiscated 650,000 guns. Murders and suicides plummeted.

In the wake of the killing in Uvalde, here’s what America can learn from Australia’s response to tragedy.
                          Tuesday’s shooting in Uvalde, Texas, has already kicked off another national debate about gun control. It is worth considering, as one piece of evidence about what policies do and do not work, the experience of Australia in the late 1990s.
                          Between October 1996 and September 1997, Australia responded to its own gun violence problem with a solution that was both straightforward and severe: It collected roughly 650,000 privately held guns. It was one of the largest mandatory gun buyback programs in recent history.
                          And there’s decent reason to think it worked. That does not mean that something even remotely similar would work in the US — they are, needless to say, different countries — but it is worth at least looking at Australia’s experience.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                            pinko commie tree hugger
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by sonofswen
                            Australia confiscated 650,000 guns. Murders and suicides plummeted.

plummeted?

8B2A01F5-ABA9-4DB1-8EA3-A9B46FE1E693.png

F87823A7-5812-4CEF-A655-B3D79EC39E76.png
                            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• JimD
                              Senior Mumbler
                              • Feb 2002

It won't hurt for you to try in your garage, just one quick squirt, stand there and try to breath normally . . . for as long as you can. It's not stuff to be messed with.
                              I survived Nuke/Bio/Chem warfare training so I think I know enough to be careful with bear spray, even without a gas mask. But thanks for the advice. It's always welcome.

Comment

• CWSmith
                                New Hampshire
                                • Nov 2008

My brother-in-law sat down in his driveway about 6 months ago and blew his brains out.

He had issues, but he might be alive today if suicide had been just a little bit more difficult.
                                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...