Fluent in Typo
    • May 2015

Re: What were your favorite cars from your younger days

I owned most of the cars I lusted over.

Porsche 911 (had a 72 E)
    Porsche 914 (had a 73 2.0)
    Austin Healey Sprite (had a 59)
    Fiat 124 Spider (had a slew of them)
    Lancia Beta Montecarlo/Scorpion (had a 76)
    Saab 900 Turbo (have an 87)

but there were two cars I always wanted but never will be able to get my grubby hands on:

The Dino 206:
    1969_ferrari_dino_206_gt__ii__by_hardrocker78_df7s6lm-fullview.jpg

And the Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1300 HF

91267252.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
      Liberaltarian
      • Nov 2004

I bought an RX7 GSL in 1984... very hot car:

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• CWSmith
        New Hampshire
        • Nov 2008

I know it sounds nuts, but my first car was a Pinto and I really enjoyed it. It taught at least 4 people to drive stick and I kept it until the driver's seat broke through the bottom of the car. I figured at that point it was time to replace it. I've had a string of Hondas and Subarus since then, but none have been as much fun as that dirt cheap Pinto.
        "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Bobcat
          Formerly a Smallboat Guy
          • May 2007

I had one of these in my late 20's. Fun car, but, as it turned out, too much overlap with motorcycles. It handled excellently and had all sorts of Swedish weird engineering:

c2VydmljZT1pbWFnZXMmc3JjPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3LnNhYWJwbGFuZXQuY29tJTJGd3AtY29udGVudCUyRnVwbG9h.jpg
          What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Comment

• Jim Bow
            Still tender and callow f
            • Jul 2008

We always bought used cars. When I was 14 it was. 1957 Ford Country Squire station wagon. That thing was huge! If memory serves, the engine air cleaner said “Interceptor”, which I claimed meant it was for a police car.
            “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• John Smith
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jim Bow
              We always bought used cars. When I was 14 it was. 1957 Ford Country Squire station wagon. That thing was huge! If memory serves, the engine air cleaner said “Interceptor”, which I claimed meant it was for a police car.
              All our cars were used. I bought one new car in my lifetime, and it took Chrysler two years to get the AC working. A new car is the only thing I can think of that drops in value as soon as you sign your name.
              "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• john welsford
                • Sep 2002

Friends had a Blower Bentley, that was the parents hobby, the sons had a Morgan plus four.
                I was very envious.

John Welsford
                An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• Art Haberland
                  Fluent in Typo
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Bobcat
                  I had one of these in my late 20's. Fun car, but, as it turned out, too much overlap with motorcycles. It handled excellently and had all sorts of Swedish weird engineering:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124031[/ATTACH]
                  the Ford V4 in those is a neat little engine.
                  "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• Hugh MacD
                    • Apr 2015

My brother was into muscle cars, but I preferred something nimble. Went through a series of Triumph Spitfires (still have my old racecar), Morris Minor 1000 (OK...not exactly nimble, but fun), a 444 Volvo (B-16 powered with a mild cam), a brief liaison with a Lotus 7, a 510 that I raced and drove to work and a 200SX that my lady and I rallied. Now I still have a Spitty and just acquired a '76 (worst year ever so it'll take some work) MGB.
                    Doug and Passenger first ever Doernbecher Dash 85.jpg

Doug Marshall and Datsun 510 PIR 78 or so.jpg

20220902_145516[1].jpg

Comment

• Stiletto
                      • Jan 2003

I loved the Lotus Cortinas

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                        • Apr 2000

The '62 Olds 88 that my girlfriend and I went to Drive-In movies in.

Comment

• LeeG
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by Dave Hadfield
                          The '62 Olds 88 that my girlfriend and I went to Drive-In movies in.
                          That had wide seats.

I just remembered. My dad got me a ‘54 Ford for my last yr of highschool in ‘73.

Comment

• leikec
                            • Dec 2009

My grandpa’s ‘64 Buick LeSabre was the first car I fell in love with, and then my next door neighbor’s his and hers ‘66 Corvairs. Then a Fiat 124 convertible that my sister’s best friend’s boyfriend drove—I was jealous of him both because of the car and his girlfriend.

Then I went Porsche crazy. I passed on a late production 356 to buy a Porsche 912 (a ‘66 model), which I still consider one of the great mistakes of my life.

Jeff C
                            Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Comment

• hawkeye54
                              • Mar 2017

My 'first ' car was a 1956 Ford Crown Victoria Skyliner, it had cancer in both front fenders and burned lots of oil. I bought it for $150 hard-earned dollars in 1961. As I was 14, my dad drove it home, and sold it to a used-car dealer, enroute, for $100. " That car would have been too much work for you" . The best car I owned was a brand new 1979 Ford Fiesta Ghia. 4 cylinder / 5 speed. Lots of fun to drive, until I moved to Houston, TX. and stayed in first gear in traffic 'forever' .

Rick
                              Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Comment

• The Q
                                • Jul 2020

some years ago I had a
                                download.jpg
                                which I really enjoyed having.. But they don't make a good tow car..
                                I always wanted a Landrover so..
                                download.jpg
                                Though mines red with the white top.. No not a Defender,
                                A 1984 110.
                                Just an amateur bodging away..

Comment

Working...