Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masks: An informal unscientific survey.

Default Masks: An informal unscientific survey.

Based on recent visits to Costco, Metropolitan Market and Ace Hardware I’ve noticed masks are predominantly worn by people over 65, Asian men and women over 30, and Black Americans over 30, especially women
    . I’m estimating ages and guessing at race.
    White people under 65 don’t seem to care.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Masks: An informal unscientific survey.

I've noticed around here that different neighborhood markets have different protocol.
    In the moderately high end neighborhoods I see far less masks, and this has been true from the beginning. I guess predominantly republican hood's, or people that think they have lots of money...

Only sporadic mask wearers here.

We do avoid crowded interior places, though, still.

My doc's office still wants patients to wear masks, I have no problems with that at all.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

masks do not exist in arizona

neither does vaccinating

i got my fifth covid booster and flu shot two weeks ago
    at the time less than ten percent of the population of az had even had a single covid booster
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have masks in my car. My doctors require wearing them. I'll wear one in the market if it's busy/crowded.

I have to 1 year olds home, and they can't be vaccinated, so any ounce of prevention seems worthwhile.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

We continue to wear a mask when food shopping, not attend crowded malls or spectator crowds etc] Covid free so far.

Had the whole series. Also had a round of whatever that cold was that lasted a month.

I've pretty much given up wearing a mask at this point.

Went into Michael's and Wal*Mart today, during the middle of a working day, and there were very few people in either store.

I still tend to keep my distance from people.

Have not contracted covid - yet.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I wear a mask if I am in a public space indoors. I trust my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I wear a mask if I am in a public space indoors. I trust my friends
    This. Always a (K)N95. We are in the minority though. Stores around here are 5-10% masked at most. At least around here most are pretty well vaxed & we've had all we can get.

I just talked to a guy who didn't believe in the vaxes & never got any. He just got out of the hospital after a 3 1/2 week stay and feels pretty stupid for believing the anti-vax BS now.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Masks: An informal unscientific survey.

I no longer wear a mask even on public transportation or in crowds. I am vaxed, boosted and now so is a high percentage of the population.

I travel every week, have right through the pandemic, and have not caught it. Though, I suppose I might have had it and been asymptomatic. No way to know that.

I was at an industry event last week, lots of handshakes and hugs. Yesterday, I heard two attendees I interacted with were down with the virus. Took a home test and I am negative.

I still do use a sani wipe to wipe down the airplane tray table and armrests, and do the sane for any seat or table I use in the terminal or at a restaurant.

I still frequently use hand sanitizer during the day when out and about, not so much at home.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

This part of Ohio is MAGA nation. We don’t need no stinking masks!
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Whole Foods in Tacoma...a lotta masks and generally thin fit people walking around .
    Albertsons in Gig Harbor just across the bridge...none of the above,including walking.

From being mandated at one point, masks have now largely disappeared in Dubai. We'll occasionally see people working in high-traffic areas (shops etc) wearing them, and I think you still need to wear one if you're visiting a hospital and some government offices, but that's about all.

Covid's still around but, with a relatively young and largely vaccinated population, catching it is seen as being about as serious as having the flu. Stay at home for a few days until it passes, if others at home get it from you then they do the same.

Yup. Same here - virtually no mask use around town, we still 'request' use in clinic. AFA I know, I've not contracted it since August - but I'm exposed every day. Wear an N95; usual precautions. Our numbers have risen lately, and we're seeing a lot of RSV, and now, influenza. The trifecta.

Still see lots of folks won't get vaxxed, even if they've had it a few times. Those with a relatively mild case feel it's nothing - but the 'next' episode may not be so kind.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

We still wear masks when we are around others inside and out. We have a mix of N95 medical masks and KN95 masks. I am immune compromised and have had the full Moderna vaccination series and get my Phizer bivalent booster in two weeks (6 weeks after the Moderna booster). 9 shots so far, soon to be 10. Yup my oncologist thought it would be a good idea to get both the Moderna and Phizer vacs. No covid so far and I hope to keep it that way since the death rate for people with my condition is 25-30%..

Quote Originally Posted by AndanteEd View Post
    From being mandated at one point, masks have now largely disappeared in Dubai. We'll occasionally see people working in high-traffic areas (shops etc) wearing them, and I think you still need to wear one if you're visiting a hospital and some government offices, but that's about all.

Covid's still around but, with a relatively young and largely vaccinated population, catching it is seen as being about as serious as having the flu. Stay at home for a few days until it passes, if others at home get it from you then they do the same.
    As above.
    The first paragraph pretty well describes the situation in my area just north of Detroit.
    The second paragraph reflects my attitude overall.
    I no longer wear a mask except where requested or required.

Vermont requires masks in all hospitals & doctor's offices. Makes sense to me!

Of course the cheap "surgical" style masks with the big gaps on the sides don't do much...

I carry an N95 and only occasionally use it—deadheading in the back mostly.

J&J vaccinated and current on all boosters plus flu.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

My wife and I are 'sick' now - URI's, likely RSV. My voice has dropped an octave or so - 'Barry White'. I can sing parts now never before possible. Not well, understand. I'm no TomF!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Few wearing masks here. Those that do are mostly women, of all ages, a few older men.

In that I work part-time in a hardware store I'd been confident I'd get it sooner or later when it first appeared.

Last w/e began to feel like I was coming down with a cold.

Fever started Monday, kept me home. Off anyway yesterday, home today too.

Picked up an antigen rapid test an hour ago, looks like I have the 'rona...

IMG_3310.jpg

Feels like a cold, but that's what coronavirus does, yes?

Sometimes. Esp if you're vaxxed/boosted. Of course, there's 'a spectrum' - YMMV.

People only wear masks in specific situations ( doctor, hospital etc,.) but the largest part of the population is vaccinated 3 or 4 times.
    The 60+ age category has a vaccination level of 60% for the latest booster ( the 5th vaccination).

Not here; our booster rates are less than half that.

It's been a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    He just got out of the hospital after a 3 1/2 week stay and feels pretty stupid for believing the anti-vax BS now.
    But is he going to tell that to his buddies? And what is his "free choice" gonna cost the rest of us?

-Leif

I usually wear a mask when I am out and around strangers. But I don't worry about such things. If I forget my mask, I still do my chores.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Torna View Post
    But is he going to tell that to his buddies? And what is his "free choice" gonna cost the rest of us?

-Leif
    I can't say for sure, but he sure sounded like he was feeling like an idiot. He's on Medicare, so it cost us a ton. I mentioned that...

I am 52 and wear mine when I go out to the shops. I generally don't wear it at work, but I did yesterday. Tuesday was the first day back for my lead who was out for the last week. I really did not want his covid cooties.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Wear the common paper masks when cleaning out the wood stove pipe, when done a nose blow has some black in it, unscientific, but tells me the most common masks are useless.

how to troll my republican in-laws
    before each of them arrives in the house for thanksgiving
    i shall don this

CEDF8238-8BF2-4B5E-8F90-3700E173AA15.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Many of the people who come into my bookstore wear masks, and Seattle is pretty good for people being vaccinated, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i shall don this
    So you troll IRL too, eh?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall - though I am very thankful that I don't have to deal with Rep family. Ain't got none that are - AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i shall don this

CEDF8238-8BF2-4B5E-8F90-3700E173AA15.jpg

BTW, Regine and I will be in PHX a few days after Xmas (well, we will be there on Xmas, but with family.) Be good to have a drink together.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Asian people in Sydney often wear masks, waaay before Covid.
    Asian cultures are extremely polite. If they have a sniffle they wear a mask so as not to infect others.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

We continue to cover our faces when grocery shopping, avoid crowded malls and masses of people watching, etc. So far, Covid is free.

I’ve stopped wearing one, other than going to the doctor. I’ve got every vaccination that can be gotten. As far as I know, I’ve not had Covid.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…