Thread: Thanksgiving

Default Thanksgiving

Not, of course, something that we celebrate here in NZ, but for my American friends, it's time to grab that firewood axe and chase the turkey down the road.
    All the very best for Thanksgiving day to all, have a great time, relax and enjoy yourselves.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Thanksgiving

Thanks, John. We have a family of traditionalists... so we are having turkey and ham as the main dishes. Normal, and delightful. But I swear one year I'm gonna throw tradition out the window and insist on jambalaya or bouillabaisse. Though... to be fair to the mob... they have agreed to grilled salmon as the main course a few times. Think of us on Thursday, and raise a mug of grog in our general direction.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Wild ones can. Sorta, kinda. I've gone out turkey hunting, and they can get from the ground to hidden up in a branch in an eyeblink. But they're more likely to use their feet.

After seeing a wild one cooked up, the thing that struck me was what a tiny amount of breast meat they have. Nothing at all like the Frankenturkeys they breed for roasting at T'giving.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The wild ones around here don't sport a whole lot of drumstick either.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Absolutely one of the funniest moments on TV.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Thanks John. It is a favorite holiday for me. We slaughtered 16 turkeys a couple days ago. I’m on the periphery of processing. My main job is watching babies and misc. minor cleaning and lifting. We get wild ones walking near the field where our fenced ones were.” Happy day eat pie “ as the 8 yr old said when she was 3.

Thank you Mr. Welsford It's an "official" holiday here, but I figure I can be thankful for my friends everywhere​.

I am thankful the family can gather again. Missed the last two years because of COVID
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Plenty of turkeys in my suburban neighborhood, but chasing one with an axe would be futile (and would seriously alarm the neighbors). One industrially-raised frozen bionic turkey from the supermarket, thank you.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Thanks John! I would love to shore our feast with you and so many other posters here on WBF.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

They can. At night, they roost. In the trees. I have seen it… not very graceful or powerful, but somehow they make it.

Here in eastern MA, we are overloaded with wild turkeys; dozens of them wander through my yard from time to time.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Thank you for the kind greeting! Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday of the year, but our family has dwindled in size to where there will only be six of us eating together on Thursday, the rest of them spread throughout Texas, Colorado and Massachusetts. We were all together for a week recently, to celebrate my granddaughter's third birthday, so we at least got to see one another then, but it will be March before we all come together again, out in the mountains.

I wish everyone here a pleasant and peaceful Thanksgiving week! Enjoy it as much as you are able.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The wild turkeys around here can fly pretty well.
    They scratch around under our bird feeder but when disturbed they take a running start, take off and fly/glide across our meadow for about 300' before landing.

Domestic turkeys not so much.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Thanks John. I didn’t mean to sidetrack your kind wishes with flying turkey nonsense.

In spite of usually being kind of a non-traditionalist, I agree with Mick and others above; it’s one of my favorite days and I enjoy the very traditional turkey dinner, this year with Her sisters. (The one rabid Republican Trumpster BIL will be away at his family’s house ) .

I think that some of the folks here might not know the reference:

https://youtu.be/HiSkjcl9yW4
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Thanks, John.

I always figured the first thanksgiving included fish, which are plentiful off Plymouth this time of year and which would have been easier to catch than killing a turkey with a musket. So, we always serve striped bass, and some clams, along with the turkey. Sometimes some venison.

Is there an " equivalent" National Holiday in En Zed?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Thanks, John. We have a family of traditionalists... so we are having turkey and ham as the main dishes. Normal, and delightful. But I swear one year I'm gonna throw tradition out the window and insist on jambalaya or bouillabaisse. Though... to be fair to the mob... they have agreed to grilled salmon as the main course a few times. Think of us on Thursday, and raise a mug of grog in our general direction.
    gotche Jambalaya for ya right here

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Is the dink crawfish pie or filet gumbo?

^ Its probably named, Petit Pois.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Plenty of turkeys in my suburban neighborhood, but chasing one with an axe would be futile (and would seriously alarm the neighbors). One industrially-raised frozen bionic turkey from the supermarket, thank you.
    We typically get a monster bird from the health food store. Bred for lots of meat - but free-range, and 'organically' raised. The taste is better, too.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I was at the local grocery this morning at 6:45 AM to purchase an 8 lb. turkey breast. It is now defrosting in the refrigerator. On Thursday it will be smoked.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    gotche Jambalaya for ya right here

Brilliant! Thank you. Should I expect a delivery, or do I need to pick it up? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Is the dink crawfish pie or filet gumbo?
    I don't know how you could call it anything but "To' Boy" <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

Ham? On Thanksgiving? Is that a West coast thing?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Ham? On Thanksgiving? Is that a West coast thing?
    I don't know. I do remember running into it several times when we lived in New Hampshire. Never instead of turkey... always with.

First saw it on the T'giving table, though, at my grandparents house. Since they were originally from Ashe County N. Carolina... I had always figured it was a Southern thing.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Ham with Turkey is often found in Southern households on Thanksgiving.

I have a nice medium sized bird in the fridge but we are moving our feast to Friday when the step-daughter and grandkids can join us. For Thanksgiving day we will have a small ham with Ken's mom at our house and decorate the house for Christmas.

I will have all the normal trappings for the bird on Friday. The key for me is to make sure all the cooking and prep is done before the arrival of the grandkids. PapaSkip is expected to play with the boys....no time to be in the kitchen. I will have the HotWheels track all set up for them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/w7Wux0p1kpI?feature=share

Note in the last few seconds of the video the unhappy look on my husbands face as cars race down our newly painted staircase.
    Last edited by SKIP KILPATRICK; 11-22-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Celebrating it here too. But, finding a turkey this far before Christmas is not easy. legs an breast in the s/mkt bins, yes. Whole bird no. Local ethnic butcher (English) has a source and I am picking it up tomorrow. Bit pricey, but heh how...
    In the spirit, apart from the 'usual suspects' I invited a recent arrival from the states. Be interesting to chat to her about things in the US.
    My wife remembers the family 'discussions' about the 'best' way to do things in the US, usually a fight between mother in laws and wives.
    Last couple of days have been digging out the nice china and silver to do it 'properly'.
    Today, ancient lace table cloth and napkins being washed and ironed. Care needed, as delicate.

I don't eat Mc D's but it does have a simple attraction..
    Last edited by Andrew2; 11-22-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks, John. I am grateful for all the Woodenboat Forum friends I've met and have yet to meet. I'm also grateful for the nurse at the restaurant who helped me to the floor when I passed out. I'm grateful for the crew at the ER who saved my life.

So here's to life, friends, and family.
    “Aren’t you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?”
    “That’s diplomats. We’re not gentlemen.”
    “So you lie to save your hides.”
    That’s politicians. Different game entirely.”