Thread: Monday Morning PSA: Slideshows in meetings

Default Monday Morning PSA: Slideshows in meetings

It seems that a lot of people need to hear this, perhaps some of those people are here on WBF.

When participating in a professional meeting of any kind (zoom, teams, in-person, etc) please assume that your audience is literate.

DO NOT read-aloud the text on your slides.
    We know the information is important to you, that's why you bothered to include it in the presentation. Reading the slides aloud does not add emphasis, it simply wastes time and is the very definition of "This Meeting Should Have Been an Email".
    Just don't do it.

That is all.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Default Re: Monday Morning PSA: Slideshows in meetings

lmfao

i have been working remotely since moving to detroit 13 years ago
    i have never once participated in a 'zoom' meeting

phew
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The hardest thing to do is to not use your slides as your notes. 40+ years and I still do it.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The hardest thing to do is to not use your slides as your notes. 40+ years and I still do it.
    Yup me too.

There's a real art to talking to a slide deck without just repeating the slide deck (that I didn't want to make in the first place!).

Bill

In a video chat or in person, I usually use my slides like chapter titles; jumping off points for the info I'd like to convey.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've only zoomed for paddling trips or family crap.
    Work meetings are always in person and often involve waiting for someone to get off his phone.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    It seems that a lot of people need to hear this, perhaps some of those people are here on WBF.

When participating in a professional meeting of any kind (zoom, teams, in-person, etc) please assume that your audience is literate.

DO NOT read-aloud the text on your slides.

We know the information is important to you, that's why you bothered to include it in the presentation. Reading the slides aloud does not add emphasis, it simply wastes time and is the very definition of "This Meeting Should Have Been an Email".
    Just don't do it.

That is all.
    So. Many. PowerPoint. Decks. Where the entire presentation was just regurgitating what was on each slide, word for word.

SWMBO is a stage director. I keep telling her that she should set up a consulting business coaching people as to how to do presentations right and make it tell a story.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I try to use only pictures in my slides.
    Maybe a heading to keep me on course.

You need to rehearse. Standing up, talking out loud.

Now minutes! How the F does that work?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Building presentations is a large part of my job.

Whenever people ask me why my presentations are so good I answer, “Simple. I f**kin’ hate PowerPoints.”

As soon as you embrace that notion, your slide decks become instantly better.

When I was working, I did not use slides or hand-outs with 'bullet points'. I used a mix of lecture and audience participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    When I was working, I did not use slides or hand-outs with 'bullet points'. I used a mix of lecture and audience participation.
    Sounds good to me Ian but in today's (large) business world PowerPoint slide decks are practically mandatory. I can't figure why as everybody universally detests them but it's expected.

Bill

I was a corporate trainer in a past life. Over ten years I spent a week to two weeks with each member of management in our company during off-site programs, some 3000 people. The ineffectiveness of sharing information through Powerpoints and video became evident by a questionnaire at the end of week-long training programs: "Do you remember X Powerpoint or X video? What information did they contain? What did you learn by readings or talks for which you took your own notes?" Deeper questioning revealed that when shown Powerpoints and videos many trainees simply turned off their brains and reverted to a mode of passivity not unlike watching television.They just didn't retain much, if anything. Learning that had a huge impact on how we conducted training sessions and taught others how to conduct their own meetings.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Architecture school programmed in me a curious dichotomy.

Maxim #1: You're going to become a good public-speaker, or you're going to wash-out. One's ability to stand before a well-informed audience and communicate often harebrained or otherwise esoteric design ideas is tested harshly and often. (Need to talk The Talk.)

Maxim #2: The drawings on the wall should speak for themselves. (The Talk is just talk)

Every image you present should remove a thousand words from your schpiel.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Harvard Presentation Graphics - anyone remember that?

But yes, you shouldn't be reading your slides. They're the headings for what you're talking about so that the audience can follow your presentation and know where they are.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I usually put a few bullet points on a slide as an aide memoire of what I went to say.
    If teaching, I email the slide deck to the class in advance, that way they can print it out and take notes on the slides.
    If doing a deck for someone else, I put the verbiage I want in the "speaker's notes" only visible to the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Why wouldn't you use powerpoint as your notes? It's a really great place to have them!

on remote meetings: https://youtu.be/Bi3t7qqaVUQ
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

I built a presentation about early retirement based on just 1 photo of an old Frisian fisherman named "Saeke Visser" nickname Saeke the Russian ( he was a communist and a very stubborn person).
    It worked.
    saeke.jpg

Those here who use them as guides/launch points have the right idea & the OP is 100% correct that simply reading the slides is a waste of everyone's time.

A a member of a regional planning commission, I get to see all sorts of PP presentations. Maybe 20% are well done, and properly used they can be a great tool - for example presenting 5 alternative road change options where the images show the different configurations & the presenter explains them. Displaying columns & rows of data & talking over them - not so much.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Those here who use them as guides/launch points have the right idea & the OP is 100% correct that simply reading the slides is a waste of everyone's time.

A a member of a regional planning commission, I get to see all sorts of PP presentations. Maybe 20% are well done, and properly used they can be a great tool - for example presenting 5 alternative road change options where the images show the different configurations & the presenter explains them. Displaying columns & rows of data & talking over them - not so much.
    For any presented data, the Keith Wilson approach is required. Use charts or graphs that tell the story clearly.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

If your looking for ideas on effective slide design and creation, BrightCarbon puts a lot of material out there for free.

BrightCarbon

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

if you are ever engaged with me at a bar and there is beer involved, please do not pull out yer fuggin phone and show me a pic of your dog/bote/work/girl/breakfast.
    just don't

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    if you are ever engaged with me at a bar and there is beer involved, please do not pull out yer fuggin phone and show me a pic of your dog/bote/work/girl/breakfast.
    just don't
    A good reason to always order a pint; the glass, or mug, is large enough to hold a phone.

I don't think I've ever been to a meeting where they didn't read every stinkin' word.