Thread: Looking for resources on interior joinery/ finishing techniques

Default Looking for resources on interior joinery/ finishing techniques

Hello. Wondering if anyone in this group could point me towards some resources on interior joinery / finishing techniques focusing on yacht interiors. My boat, a Tom Gilmer Roughwater 33 has a Teak interior that was obviously put together with pride when the boat was built. It has been through a few owners in 40 years and is showing the scars of rough repairs and distasteful modifications. I will need to build some new teak and holly soleboards for bilge access, repair and tastefully replace different mouldings and botched epoxy fill jobs, build a new folding main salon table that serves both sides of the boat and folds away on the bulkhead, etc..

Of particular interest are techniques on curved trim piece fabrication. I have some ideas, like narrow strip glue laminations bent around the shape required etc, but would like to have some more food for thought and some more tricks.

A bit of background is that I have picked up a bit of boat oriented woodworking while aboard some of the traditional vessels I work for, though that has not been my primary role, its turned into something that I'm loving to learn. I'm fairly competent with some of the basics, making graving pieces, patterning with door skin and hot glue for taking the shape of planks/structural members. My most recent repair was a 2 foot replacement section of my curved teak caprail with two hook scarfs, rabbeted onto the fiberglass bulwark in place of the original scarf joining two sections of caprail that had suffered some impact damage and rot.

I mostly work with hand tools and hand held power tools, as I find that easiest with very limited work space, mostly just on the dock or on the deck of my boat. I don't have a shop or big money so router tables and jointers are not in my repertoire.

Would love any book recommendations or other resources to help build on my skills.

Thanks

Ryan

Default Re: Looking for resources on interior joinery/ finishing techniques

Practical Yacht Joinery by Fred Bingham

Ferenc Mate wrote a couple of books on fancy interior work. Buy a few used books and enjoy the winter.

There is/was an online site describing Sparkman & Stephen’s’ standard details. I remember and elegant cabin table. Does anyone remember this?

A well equipped shop is important in that kind of work. Make a friend.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Also by Bingham: Boat Joinery & Cabinetmaking Simplified.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks for the recommendations guys, looking forward to reading these books this winter! That looks like a very interesting salon table as well.

as usual quality advice on this site.

Read and reread Jim Ledger's thread here on the forum: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Take woodworking classes at your local rec center if available.

Jeff

Paul ; thank you for the S&S link !

I'd also recommend Tage Frid 's "Jointery :tools and Techniques" . He writes as a craftsman and teacher of many years and describes how to cut all the major joints with hand tools as well as power tools . You mention hand held power tools. Is a router part of your kit ? Frid shows how to cut perfect half lap joints with it handheld .This is a strong and versatile joint that can be cut to intersect at any angle; also cut into th middle of a plank.He shows how to mortise with the tool hand held .

For a router table Frid recomends you start by getting a piece of 1/4 inch plywood ,cut a hole for the router bit and bolts ,bolt it on and Go ! He's very straight ahead . Such a piece of ply could be sized to fit under the biggest mattress on the boat .That could span from combing to combing across the cockpit ,with a couple of legs clamped on at mid span . You can use 3/4 inch ply for more ridgidity ,Just routing out a round to take the routerbase : leaving 1/4 inch thick top there .

Curved Laminations will require access to a tablesaw and allot of clamps , plus a place to make a mess with the glue ..For short interior trim shapeing wide stock may be more practical .Saw to shape with a jigsaw ;perfect with a sander or pattern rout ; then edge form with the router .You can dog leg scarph several pieces together to save stock . There is a great woodenboat article on shapeing solid stock to trim curved surfaces .It's written for useing the Shaper ,but it applies to router tables too ( issue # 119 ; P 66-74 ; Jeffery Fogman ) .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 11-29-2022 at 12:44 PM.