Thread: Skin on frame stringer repair

Default Skin on frame stringer repair

Well shoot. My old thread wont open. Probably just as well as Ive put this project off for a bit.

Ive got an old Nautiraid skin on frame folding kayak. Ash frame, hypalon skin.

A couple of the stringers have broken at the ends. Due to age or aggressive handling. Ive managed to get a nice piece of ash. Well, four of them. I ordered 2x2 thinking I was going to get 1.5x1.5. These are true 2x2.

As you can sort of see in the photo, the pieces I need are going to be in the neighborhood of 1/2x1/2.

Ive got two questions. In the dim rescesses of my memory, I think someone said to split the wood, then shape it. Is that as simple as taking my boy scout hatchet and just rending it down the middle to see how it breaks? Then start to shape it.

And in terms of the splice taper, (Ive forgotten the name of the taper). What is the guidance? 1:12? Or 1:6? And then just glue it with thickened epoxy? Or wrap it with some type of thread?

Many thanks.

BD606999-8142-4ACA-8FE5-4446D70E3010.jpg

A sample break. The other breaks are on the smaller stringers.

22E8EA8B-42D9-420E-9BA5-B9AA48C92E57.jpg

6A0E6213-5F4D-4BD7-97A0-24A5E5119845.jpg

Default Re: Skin on frame stringer repair

It doesn't appear that the originals were made from split wood, and considering how much you can waste by doing that, I'd just saw them, getting the grain as straight as possible, and then use long (12:1 sounds good) scarfs with epoxy or other good glue.

Scarf. That’s it.

Can I just sorta freehand it with basic jig? Or is precision needed?

Thanks

Freehand is fine if you're comfortable with a small block plane. Using epoxy to do the bonding, precision isn't really needed, in fact it's worth taking a coarse hacksaw blade to the smoothly planed bonding surfaces & roughing them up a little. If you're using Titebond III though, leave the surfaces smooth & do the best job you can getting them to kiss one another over the entire area to be bonded.

Bonding with epoxy means saturating both surfaces with unthickened epoxy first, then a layer of thickened goes on one surface after end grain stops sucking up the thinner stuff. Clamp snug but don't go overboard & squeeze the joint dry.

Titebond's a one-coat each surface glue, then clamp snug & secure for half a day.

I'd glue the broken piece back on with epoxy, as Clark outlined. as an extra measure, sand/scrape off the varnish and then wrap the fractured length with Kevlar string (users choicer as to gauge of the string). then wet out the string with "thin" ca glue. Disclaimer here..I have no idea how the joint goes together and am probably a bit, out of my element here.
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 11-21-2022 at 12:46 AM.