Thread: Thoughts and prayers time again..

Default Thoughts and prayers time again..

Five shot dead in gay club.
    Looks like the clubbers managed to subdue the guy before the cops arrived, so a few brave guys around.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63693310

Default Re: Thoughts and prayers time again..

It is too soon to talk about it.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I have no words for this.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

String the perp up by his cojones, summary justice. Enough of this crap.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

one again we see the power of thoughts and prayers
    cuz i THOUGHT they PRAYED the gay away??

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    String the perp up by his cojones, summary justice. Enough of this crap.
    There will be more psychopaths with guns along in a week or so.

Will there be enough rope for all of them?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ooter-suspect/

The man detained in Saturday’s mass shooting at a Colorado Springs nightclub is a 22-year-old city resident who was charged by law enforcement officials last year in connection with a bomb threat in a neighborhood about 15 miles from the scene of the deadly rampage.
    As of Sept. 28, there have been 348 “red flag” cases in Colorado, the majority filed by police departments, since the law went into effect in 2020. The Colorado Springs Police Department has filed two petitions in that time.
    In this gun-saturated community, more than 7,000 firearms have been stolen since 2017 in Colorado Springs alone, according to police department data, more than 20 times the national rate of firearm thefts, according to Department of Justice statistics. One of those stolen guns was used to shoot a Colorado Springs officer in the head in 2018. He survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    It is too soon to talk about it.
    Some lefty will be along shortly to politicise this terrible tragedy.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

The US is a shooting gallery. You could be taken out by a psychopath with a gun or a 2 yo in a Walmart rummaging through his moms purse and finding a gun someone said she needed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    It is a political matter -- and right wing gun nuts and homophobes have made it such by doing nothing except perhaps offering "thoughts and prayers" in response to these events.

Of course regulations and other effective action will not prevent all such events.

But non-action and stupid comments like yours -- which is, of course, poitical -- do nothing to help.

No talk of the shooter knowing the victims, it sounds like pure hate.

Given that I can't think of a single reason why another person's sexuality has any impact on my life in any way, I can only blame the right-wing rhetoric we hear so much of today.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nolan View Post

Of course regulations and other effective action will not prevent all such events.
    They could. If US voters really wanted the slaughter to stop.

Last edited by Jim Bow; 11-20-2022 at 07:03 PM.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nolan View Post
    It is a political matter -- and right wing gun nuts and homophobes have made it such by doing nothing except perhaps offering "thoughts and prayers" in response to these events.

But non-action and stupid comments like yours -- which is, of course, poitical -- do nothing to help.
    Occasionally my cynicism shows. Of course there is a strong political motivation behind many calls for thoughts and prayers.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

What makes it NOT a political matter?

You remind me of a republican the other day complaining abortion has been made a political matter, which is true, but it's a political matter because laws are being passed limiting/preventing it.

Shootings are a political matter as gun regulation seems, to me, part of the government's job.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

You remind me of a republican ...
    That was the idea.

pity lefties arent committed to winning the political battle

CF55D1F2-3890-4982-B611-8D4F00B6D08B.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

They're banning books, and I suppose they think that will make us all safer.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

It would be awful nice if the folks who want more effective gun regulation would point out the value to such regulation.

I am reminded of the saying "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". To me that's sorta the point.

Really easy to see who the outlaw is if s/he's holding a gun when guns are against the law.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Meantime yesterday in Arkansas.

The Arkansas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church voted overwhelmingly to agree to the disaffiliation of 27 member congregations leaving the United Methodist Church.

The churches around the state choosing to break away cited "reasons of conscience" relating to "the practice of homosexuality or the ordination or marriage of self-avowed practicing homosexuals."

The following congregations on the special session's agenda voted unanimously on disaffiliation: Amity, Asbury (Magnolia), Bellefonte, Bethesda Campground, Bland Chapel, Bruce Memorial, Dalark, Delight, Hebron (Carlisle), Hinton, Holly Springs (Sparkman), Holly Springs (Texarkana), Kibler, Mount Zion (Lonoke), Parker's Chapel, Saint John (Hope), Saint Mark (El Dorado), Saint Paul (El Dorado), Sparkman, theJourney (Cabot), Washington and Westside.

The remaining congregations that voted for disaffiliation included: Heritage (Van Buren) (98%), Mountainside (94%), Alma (91%), Grace (Conway) (87%), Smyrna (87%), Mount Tabor (Cabot) (86%), Saint Paul (Searcy) (86%), Heber Springs First (85%), Stuttgart First (82%), Piney Grove (81%), Cabot (79%), Siloam Springs (78%), Christ (Texarkana) (72%), Fordyce First (715), Searcy First (71%) and Jonesboro First (69%).

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Does the protection of speech in congress extend to civil cases?
    Could hate speech about gender and sexuality be interpreted as a contributing factor in a case like this? Could families of victims chase the haters?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.