Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • epoxyboy
    • Sep 2005

Bought a new phone - after seven years

The seven y.o. budget Samsung Galaxy J5 was at the point it needed a thrice daily battery top up, and was getting annoyingly slow and glitchy too - and I have a high tolerance for slow, because I hate throwing away things that still work. It's stable mate, an almost as old Tab S2 tablet was only slightly better.
    I splurged yesterday, replaced them both, Samsung again, but higher-end models this time around.

The nice surprise was how totally painless transferring files, accounts, settings from old to new was. The whole lot went across on both devices in a few minutes. I hadn't been looking forward to that part.
    The only thing I don't like is the physical size of the new phone, it's a little too big to shirt pocket, but wow, the cameras (plural) are orders of magnitude better than what it's replaced, and not having to put it on life support first thing in the morning is a bit of a novelty .

Anyway, this the first post on the new tablet, proof of life . Should've done this a couple of years ago really.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.
  • bluedog225
    Tom
    • Mar 2009

Re: Bought a new phone - after seven years

Yeah. It’s easy to forget how nice it is when stuff just works.

one day, the wife will figure that out.

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by epoxyboy
      The seven y.o. budget Samsung Galaxy J5 was at the point it needed a thrice daily battery top up, and was getting annoyingly slow and glitchy too - and I have a high tolerance for slow, because I hate throwing away things that still work.
      I have an A5 (I think) and I need to charge it twice a day. I replaced the battery, but it didn't change anything. I wonder if the operating system has grown and consumes more power? Anyway, I also see a new machine on the horizon.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• John B
        • Aug 2000

The only thing I'm wary about the new stuff( I finally changed my 2015 tablet and 16 phone this year) is no memory card, makes me nervous.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
          obnoxiously persistent.
          • Jan 2005

If you take photos you might value, set the google photo app to automatically back them up to the cloud - my phone does this whenever it has wifi - and as a result the photos are safe and instantly available on my laptop.
          I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Keith Wilson
            Trying to be reasonable
            • Oct 1999

Yes indeed. I got rid of a Galaxy S5 a couple of months ago, replaced it with an S22. Eight years, or nine? The difference is huge; the new one just works.
            "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
            for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• epoxyboy
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by John B
              The only thing I'm wary about the new stuff( I finally changed my 2015 tablet and 16 phone this year) is no memory card, makes me nervous.
              Both of these, the A53 phone, and S6 tablet, will take an SD card. The phone has 128GB built in, 64GB for the tablet, memory isn't going to be a problem for a while.
              Lots of phones mount now mount an SD card on the other side of the little plastic doodad that holds the SIM. There isn't a separate drawer any more - might be worth a look on yours.

Pete
              The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Comment

• elf
                opinionated crone
                • Sep 2006

The first phone I bought, from Verizon, the guy tried to tell me I needed google whatever. I looked at him and said "why do I need that when iCloud comes with the phone and is secure and free?"

In retrospect I wonder how many iPhone buyers have been sold the google insecure bill of goods by idiots hired to sell both Android and Apple type phones.

99 cents a month for 50G.
                A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
                And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com

Comment

• Stiletto
                  Grant S
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by bluedog225
                  Yeah. It’s easy to forget how nice it is when stuff just works.

one day, the wife will figure that out.
                  Are you going to be replaced?
                  There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• JayInOz
                    • Nov 2009

My phone ran out of credit and the battery went flat back in early March It can stay dead. JayInOz

Comment

• StevenBauer
                      LPBC member
                      • Jan 2000

I replaced an iPhone XR with a iPhone 13pro a while back just because it was free with the new provider. The biggest difference is the camera. Nighttime photos are just amazing. It does 1 or 2 second long exposures without blurring because the built in electronic image stabilization makes up for a shaky hand.

FEE5DEF5-9888-4C65-AA02-AAE9D7697E3E.jpg

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by StevenBauer
                        It does 1 or 2 second long exposures without blurring because the built in electronic image stabilization makes up for a shaky hand.
                        a digital image painted by apple ai

i think the night time mode is less dependent upon image stabilization than it is by high iso performance and the combining of many many many still captures from the iphone's video camera 'engine' to make what is effect an hdr image
                        Last edited by Paul Pless; 11-19-2022, 06:59 PM.
                        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                          pinko commie tree hugger
                          • Oct 2003

the results are crazy cool at times though
                          these are our horses sleeping when i steeped out at 2:00 am to piss in the front yard

3840D01B-1CF0-4B9A-B77F-692817CF4DCF.jpg
                          Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Jimmy W
                            SE USA MS or sometimes GA
                            • Feb 2010

I recently replaced my old cheap LG phone with a newer phone. Since the Pixel 7 was recently released, I got a discounted Pixel 6.

Comment

• Jimmy W
                              SE USA MS or sometimes GA
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Dave Wright
                              Do you like it? I've been watching the Pixel 6 and 6a as possible alternatives to Samsung. I'm thinking they might be discounted even more next year.
                              Yes, it is a huge improvement over the old LG with a very good camera.

Comment

Working...