Thread: It's the night before Gun Deer Hunting here in Wisconsin.

Default It's the night before Gun Deer Hunting here in Wisconsin.

Many hopes and dreams and a few who know where and when to take that buck.
    The captain of my hunts, Arnie Peterson died on opening day in 2010 and with his death my love of deer hunting died too.
    The memories of time passed and those that have passed.
    The camaraderie, the telling tales of past hunts. Cleaning the barn, and getting a weeks worth of feed ground for the milk cows.
    The arguing/discussing which guns are best. Which calibers. Important stuff.
    It's Deer Hunting time again. That undeclared National Holiday, like the Chevy plant in Janesville shutting down for the duration. Back in the day.
    Good luck, and remember. All good tings come to doos who shoot straight.

Default Re: It's the night before Gun Deer Hunting here in Wisconsin.

Have the deer been armed as well this time? It only seems fair………………….

But it's not the deer shooting back that you have to be concerned about is it?

I took my first deer with a rifle. I've killed a fair number since then, of three species and all with the bow- for the last twenty something years with arrows I made, including knapping the points. I love venison The last time I took my biggest rifle out for a shot I thought I'd best make sure it's still shooting where I remembered, so I made a little mark on a stump, stepped off two hundred yards and took the shot. Height was perfect, hit one inch to the right of dead centre. Put that same scope on a deers chest at that distance and you'd just about have to sneeze with your eyes closed to miss. Just doesn't seen ethical any more JayInOz

Every deer I've taken, I've run down on foot until I could get close enough to use my #2 pencil.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I was channeling the Roo with a rifle in one of the Croc. Dundee films.

"it's da second weeka deercamp
    an' all the guys are here..."

Dunno the verse but I suspect the word beer will be along shortly

"...we drink, play cards an shoot da bull
    but never shoot no deer
    da only time we leave da camp
    is when we go for beer
    oh da second weeka deercamp
    is da greatest time a year"

~da yoopers

Brought a tear to me eye Mr. Baxter Reminded me of the times I used to go fishing in the Namoi river with my Dad- not as often as I would have liked as it was a drive of several hours to get there for me. Dad on the other hand went every two weeks with his old mates Sid and bill. I'd walk miles back and forth along the river until two or three in the morning checking lines. Dad and his mates put most of their lines right in front of camp where there were no snags for the fish to tangle on. I did point out that there were no fish there either- they lived in the snags. But for the most part for them it wasn't about the fishing. They sat and yarned and laughed and drank little bottles of beer they called throw downs, and as they finished each one they would roll the little empty bottle into the pile under the table, to be picked up before heading home. They're all long dead now, but left me with a bunch of good memories. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I took my first deer with a rifle. I've killed a fair number since then, of three species and all with the bow- for the last twenty something years with arrows I made, including knapping the points. I love venison The last time I took my biggest rifle out for a shot I thought I'd best make sure it's still shooting where I remembered, so I made a little mark on a stump, stepped off two hundred yards and took the shot. Height was perfect, hit one inch to the right of dead centre. Put that same scope on a deers chest at that distance and you'd just about have to sneeze with your eyes closed to miss. Just doesn't seen ethical any more JayInOz
    I'd say shooting a deer with a rifle is more ethical than whatever happens to cows down at the meat plant. At least the deer lived wild and free.

Locally we have to push the damn deer aside to get to the car on the driveway. Coming back from town yesterday (5 mile drive) I saw maybe 30 deer. My neighbor is building a new house next door and has had a 4 point buck come onto the slab every day for the last week while he has been framing. No hunting here on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Locally we have to push the damn deer aside to get to the car on the driveway. Coming back from town yesterday (5 mile drive) I saw maybe 30 deer. My neighbor is building a new house next door and has had a 4 point buck come onto the slab every day for the last week while he has been framing. No hunting here on the island.
    It's the same way on Long Island, N.Y, my old home. Deer are everywhere with little or no fear of humans.

Deer season started here in Vermont last weekend. Surprisingly, I haven't heard the usual gunfire at dawn as in most years.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I never hunted, my dad and older brother did. I still enjoy eating venison and pheasant. When I was very young dad took me to the camps once in a while. My strongest memory is the smell of the canvas in the big walled tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    It's Deer Hunting time again. That undeclared National Holiday, like the Chevy plant in Janesville shutting down for the duration. Back in the day.
    One of my primary manufacturers is in Wisconsin. This is the plant manager's worst week of the year, he has to fight tooth & nail to get even a skeleton-crew of machinists to show up for work.
    His pipe-dream is to pay a local farmer trap a herd of deer which he could just run-through the plant on monday morning so everyone could just shoot from their workstations and then get back to work after lunch.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Too long ago I met a woman from Idaho. She asked do you hunt or fish? Never been asked that before. Cook I said.

i may have missed it

where is jcsoh's reply to this thread telling us how much he hates venison?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I never shot a deer. I got the fever when I was a teenager and went with an equally ingnorant teenage friend once. We never saw a legal buck and never fired a shot.

Growing up in the hills of northern Marin County north of SF Bay, it was the same situation with large herd of deer wandering through the hills and coming down into the suburban neighborhoods that were encroaching them. Our house was on a cul de sac half way up a hill and I remember one warm night just after dusk watching about thirty deer come down into the neighbor's yard across the court, into our front yard, past the house into the backyard and back up into the same little range of oak covered hills. I got a flashlight and followed them for half an hour or so, trailing behind them a short distance, watching their eyes reflect the flashlight. Since it was a populated area there wasn't any hunting and they probably didn't have much predation.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I'd say shooting a deer with a rifle is more ethical than whatever happens to cows down at the meat plant. At least the deer lived wild and free.
    I agree. I'd eat hunted wild deer before I'd eat cow, although at the moment I eat neither.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Just heard a shot, five minutes on the legal side of shooting hours.

Cows around here seem to live a better life than most of the fellers who own them But then if I mentioned what a beautiful day it was here someone would turn it into a lecture on climate change With back and shoulder injuries and a detached bicep, I struggle to draw even my modest hunting weight bows these days, so my next deer will need to be taken with a rifle just to get it done. And most of the deer around here are Fallow- introduced, mostly unwanted and heavily persecuted. Most live their lives being very nervous and nocturnal. JayInOz

Back in the 80s, when I was helping my father build their retirement home in Plainfield, Vermont, I drove up one time on the first day of deer hunting season. There were nothing but pickups lining the rural roads and armed guys wandering around with this crazed look in their eyes, and kids who looked about 12 walking around with Winchester .30-.30s looking determined. A very scary scene, First Day.

Some poor jogger in an electric blue jogging suit got shot the second day. Luckily he survived. " I thought he was a deer".

There was an anecdote back then about a farmer who every year would drag a log into the woods and nail set of antlers to it. At the end of deer season he'd drag it back, burn the log, and sell off the lead from all the bullets in it. Pretty funny.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i may have missed it

where is jcsoh's reply to this thread telling us how much he hates venison?
    Followed closely by him decrying the lack of culinary adventurousness in most

Back in 1993, we moved from Houston, TX to a small town southeast of Rochester, MN. As we drove into the (new to us) downtown area, my wife called my attention to a deer carcass, hanging to cool from a tall tree in front of a small apartment building, right on the town's main street. She also discovered that the local butcher shop shifted their whole operation to deer processing during the season . Quite the education for a young lady who grew up in a big city
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

To flesh out Lee's #8 lyrics with proper Norwegian accent.
    The second week of deer camp - YouTube

Most years I get woke up opening AM by gun reports. Quiet.
    Did a bit of driving around looking for orange suits. Nuthin. but in the mighty Burg of Rubicon, deer processing was going on full tilt.
    Summer Sausage | Marty's and Son Sausage Haus | United States (martysandson.com)
    I even helped skin deer there a few years back just to be neighborly.

Seems Spin just invites them for thanksgiving and they queue up.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...!!!!!/page2523