Thread: sitting vs standing and steering in sailboats under 20 feet

Default sitting vs standing and steering in sailboats under 20 feet

Recently there was a thread about sitting comfortably in "very small boats". I often need to stand for back, butt whatever reason and have been wondering about cockpit design to allow seating and standing. I have steered standing up in sunfish, lasers, my shellback but that's usually only when going downwind and just for short periods. I'm working on an 18' design (yawl) but not totally committed - ie keeping other options open - Pathfinder for example. I've made three half models and three floating models and have lofted the lines of one of them. Basically, what I'm trying to do is make an 18'-foot boat that looks like a Bristol pilot cutter - think quest - DonQ. Basically, what I'm trying to do is make an 18' foot boat that looks like a Bristol pilot cutter - tiller steering.

Is there a waterline threshold for standing and steering? I rarely stand in our Catalina 22 but I think that's more because the seats are in the way.
    Is there a type of hull and rig design (and length) that makes standing more plausible. I was thinking the yawl would give space to stand in front of the mizzen and I could make a curved well for different heeling angles.

Thanks
    Bill

Default Re: sitting vs standing and steering in sailboats under 20 feet

Sorry about double post

Default Re: sitting vs standing and steering in sailboats under 20 feet

Is there a waterline threshold for standing and steering? I rarely stand in our Catalina 22 but I think that's more because the seats are in the way.
    Is there a type of hull and rig design (and length) that makes standing more plausible. I was thinking the yawl would give space to stand in front of the mizzen and I could make a curved well for different heeling angles.

Thanks
    Bill[/QUOTE]
    Interesting question Bill.
    Clearly you can stand in somewhat unstable boats, but actively balancing all the while.
    I would think about cutting away the cockpit benches aft, just ahead of the stern Sheets(?).
    This way you have freedom to move crossways and and you are not confined by the footwell.
    Catalina 22 for example gives you no chance to move sideways while standing in footwell.
    Standing thereabouts would give you natural access to the tiller and the mainsheet could fore or aft as you prefer.
    I like to stand.
    Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne Poulsen; 11-24-2022 at 05:42 PM.