Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does the the right hate Nancy Pelosi?

Default Re: Why does the the right hate Nancy Pelosi?

They hate her because they are told to.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene do indeed tend to get a lot of flak. The fact that neither of them are very bright and both subscribe to the craziest of politics has a lot to do with it. But they're fringe, even within their own party.
    They get flak because they are two of the nastiest people in politics today. They are not just fringe. They lie, make up nonsense, and go after anyone who calls them on it. They show contempt for the rules of behavior. They get what they dish out, and in smaller doses in my opinion.

Interestingly, the US right wing has few women comparable to Hillary Clinton or Nancy Pelosi. No Angela Merkel or Margaret Thatcher, certainly. Nikki Haley is the only current one I can think of right off; she's quite competent, and is not singled out for more than her share.
    They also don't have a Churchill, a Nixon, or even a Reagan, and they sure don't have an Eisenhower. Thinking conservatives are not attracted to the GOP when to serve requires them to swim in a sewer of their own party's filth.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    It might not have happened like that...
    In some peoples' world...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Why does the right hate Nancy Pelosi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    She is way too effective a Democratic Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.
    Seems to me to be a significant part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    she represents everything that's wrong with american politics

she raises obscene amounts of money, mostly from corporate interests groups, and wields that money around to form her 'coalitions'

let me ask you this lee, when have the interests of corporate america, banking, insurance, big pharma and walls street ever coincided with what's best for you, your family, or your community?
    Show me a Congressional leader that this isn't true for on either side of the aisle. Money should be out of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Maybe many are still not accepting of a powerful woman who knows how to do the job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    better than they can?
    A woman leading men is something that Republicans - particularly MAGA republicans seem to take issue with.

Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Taylor Greene do indeed tend to get a lot of flak. The fact that neither of them are very bright and both subscribe to the craziest of politics has a lot to do with it. But they're fringe, even within their own party.
    These two seem to deserve the flack that they get. Boebert, Greene and quite a few others (male and female) don't seem to be offering legislation to benefit their constituents. How long has McConnell been in office and what does his home state have to show for it? Most seem to be there to enrich themselves and wage outrage against the opposition and vote against the interests of the majority of those they represent.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I read Boebert has not introduced one bill of legislation - not one. Her role is entirely gadfly. I'd lump MTG in, as well. *not to mention* a long list of men equally unqualified, nasty and disruptive.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I read Boebert has not introduced one bill of legislation - not one. Her role is entirely gadfly. I'd lump MTG in, as well. *not to mention* a long list of men equally unqualified, nasty and disruptive.
    There you go.

I foresee a Republican-led House ceasing to be a legislative body and becoming on that is almost entirely devoted to investigative committees to investigate the opposition, create sound bites, and impeaching Biden and others.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Yup. And they will - until the voters kick 'em out. So it's the citizens who need to get their heads outta 'that place'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Nancy just announced she is not going to seek re-election in Congress as Dem leader.
    She will remain in Congress, but pass leadership to the younger generation.
    Politics is a nasty business and you have to do nasty things to survive.
    On the whole of it, she did a fantastic job.
    Without her type of leadership, the GOP would run roughshod over the country.
    Her speech was gracious and she could have very well said she was leaving because a Trump supporter
    almost killed her husband and would have killed her, but she didn't. She went out with class.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Twitter sure has vociferous opinions about Pelosi, for and against, from Dems as well as Reps.

There are accusations from the most "progressive" end of the Dems which ... well, they're probably actionable if Pelosi was interested in blowing up her Party. As her detractors throwing around terms like "Vichy Democrats" appear to want to do.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Do you think the 'extremists' on the left feel emboldened, are more active?

I'd read Pelosi was going to 'provide guidance', going forward. She's not 'gone', yet.

Be nice to pick up Georgia, have a bit of a buffer for manchin/sinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

she raises obscene amounts of money, mostly from corporate interests groups, and wields that money around to form her 'coalitions'

let me ask you this lee, when have the interests of corporate america, banking, insurance, big pharma and walls street ever coincided with what's best for you, your family, or your community?
    Ha Ha,,,,the exact same thing could be said about a number of Republicans in office....Start with overturning Citizens United.

Can't tell if Pless believes his own $tuff, or just likes stirring the $tuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Twitter sure has vociferous opinions about Pelosi, for and against, from Dems as well as Reps.

There are accusations from the most "progressive" end of the Dems which ... well, they're probably actionable if Pelosi was interested in blowing up her Party. As her detractors throwing around terms like "Vichy Democrats" appear to want to do.
    That is the thing about keyboard warriors on social media. They would not dare spout such extreme statements in polite company, lest the politeness goes, and they are called out for the pillocks that they are.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There are plenty of reasons to disagree with her, right or left, but the demonization of her on the right is so far out of proportion to anything she's done that it's just bizarre. Just like Hillary Clinton, eh? Someone else who's center-left, powerful, ambitious, somewhat cunning, and has two X chromosomes? Gee, what a coincidence!.
    They were equally vicious toward Obama, maybe even a bit more so.

Originally Posted by Keith Wilson
    Oddest part of this is that it suggests that thousands of voters in their districts, enough to count as a majority, have so called fringe values or else why would they vote the way they do? How does that even happen?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

[QUOTE=sandtown;6758203]They were equally vicious toward Obama, maybe even a bit more so.[/QUOT

I get the feeling they hate Michelle more than they hate Barack.

Well Nancy did shepherd drug price reform through the House.

It is not totally her fault that so many leading Dems are opposed to Medicare for All.

Obama should have pushed it - and if he had, Nancy and Harry Reid would have gotten it done.

But yes, she and much of the party are uncomfortably too corporatist for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    [ I get the feeling they hate Michelle more than they hate Barack.
    Hillary was right to call it "the politics of personal destruction".

The US Reich knows they cannot compete on the issues - corporate and banking regulation, environment, wages, infrastructure and M4A
    so they distract their base with hateful hysteria.

And attacks like that on Paul Pelosi are the predictable result.

The GOP and Reich Wing media are totally responsible for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    She's an honorable person who is good at politics.
    And she's an individual with more real world political and "the art of the possible" experience then the next five legislators combined, and that's what drives the GOP poobahs crazy.

She was on her father's knee at 7 when he ran for Mayor of Baltimore and his 12 years in office, and before that her father was a Congressman from Maryland when she was born. She's been around politics her entire life and by my math that's 75 years as a student of politics.

She runs rings around those boys, and Sam Rayburn as good as he was and even got a building down in DC named after him, ain't got nothing on her. Top three all-time Speakers of the House.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i . plenty of ugliness directed at right wing females, using whatever tool is available, which is frequently a sexist pejorative.
    Both Sidesism alert

It is a question of degree. We progressives do not organize campaigns of hate against the Right.

And if a right wing figure were to be attacked with a hammer we would not joke about it and GOP leaders did.

Fact is that the overwhelming majority of violent political threats come from the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    She's a woman they can't divorce or mistreat.
    That, and they think she's one of theirs naturally, a traitor to the cause.

Pelosi just said on the floor of the House, "I have enjoyed working for three Presidents". (She was there for FOUR.) I know I certainly enjoyed her "put on" applause for Trump's State Of The Union speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Pelosi just said on the floor of the House, "I have enjoyed working for three Presidents". (She was there for FOUR.)
    Hmmm... I wonder which president she didn't enjoy working with?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder which president she didn't enjoy working with?

Tom
    Good one, Nancy!
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Yep. I was enjoying that, esp contrasting/comparing to the 'men are pigs' thread....

'And that, ladies, is how you draw and quarter your.... er.... interogator....'

The other thing I liked about her SOTU applause was her "I've got your number" smile.

because she's a conservative pol who plays for the wrong team - and their team tells them to despise her.

Interestingly, the US right wing has few women comparable to Hillary Clinton or Nancy Pelosi. No Angela Merkel or Margaret Thatcher, certainly. Nikki Haley is the only current one I can think of right off; she's quite competent, and is not singled out for more than her share.
    liz chaney seems to be smart, competent and ethical.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

"Carpetbagger"? BS! Learning politics at the dinner table as a kid in Baltimore (see #55 above for a good summary) and then moving to California to raise a family with Paul Pelosi does not make her a "carpetbagger".

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    She also empowered Trump for nearly 4 years and only drew the line at overturning The Constitution. Ethical seems to be a relative term these days.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Yet she voted against impeaching Trump the second time And that is why he's BAAAAAAACCK running again.
    For the life of me I can't understand how he was not impeached the second time for inciting the Jan 6th insurrection just for the fact that would make sure he WAS NEVER ALLOWED TO RUN FOR ANY PUBLIC OFFICE AGAIN.

Liz Chaney voted against impeachment, nuff said.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yet she voted against impeaching Trump the second time And that is why he's BAAAAAAACCK running again.
    For the life of me I can't understand how he was not impeached the second time for inciting the Jan 6th insurrection just for the fact that would make sure he WAS NEVER ALLOWED TO RUN FOR ANY PUBLIC OFFICE AGAIN.

Liz Chaney voted against impeachment, nuff said.
    Uh... Trump was impeached a second time. You seem to share the all-too-common confusion regarding impeachment vs. conviction.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Only by comparison with the real whackos like MTG and Boebert. And the entire rest of the party except Kinzinger.

You set a low low low low low low bar for what "ethical" is, Ted.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

But she has almost no power within the Republican party, and will be out of office in January.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Originally Posted by Paul Pless

Paul, because that's what gets you elected in America. MONEY.