Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do we feel about restomods?

Default Re: How do we feel about restomods?

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    There are a number of older classic vehicles where I live. They look really cool but I'd like them a lot more if they were modified to not emit oily/gassy stink as they drive by.

Jeff
    That’s an aspect of old cars I don’t enjoy. But most people (not all) who do restomods wouldn’t worry much about the stink…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    There are a number of older classic vehicles where I live. They look really cool but I'd like them a lot more if they were modified to not emit oily/gassy stink as they drive by.

Jeff
    Note that when I stop by to supervise your work it is usually in the Miata...
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

You can go too far..

.e ype yuk.jpg

Given a spare 20K I would replace the power train in the 450SL with an electric GT kit. I would miss the sound but not the fussy fuel injection, trying to find unleaded high octane, and the engine temp swings that came with that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Note that when I stop by to supervise your work it is usually in the Miata...

Yellow sports cars are an exception, of course.

Jeff

Yes, my Miata is Sunburst Yellow. As for the six cylinder, it's a Ford 300 straight six. Not much of a powerhouse, but stone reliable, and good low end torque for actual work, which the truck will be required to do. I'm doing mild mods to it- two barrel carb, dual exhaust, and warmed up cam. I'll put a modern distributor in it, too, for reliability.

Restomod is the only way to go, in my book, if you really want to enjoy the driving of a classic! All my old cars are restomods ...

BUT ... and this a a key BUT- restomod to me, only covers the underpinnings ... as in suspension, steering, braking ...

Always, ALWAYS have the look look total factory on the outside! To me, that is the sweet spot.

And on the old Vette, although she looks 100% stock, she even has a modern LS engine ... my secret is that I KEEP the numbers matching 327 in storage, in case I ever sell her!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

In general I don't care for them if it changes the look of the vehicle, but in a lot of cases where you can't get parts and such but just love 'the car', why not?

I am still hoping to one day find myself a nice Land Rover Disco II. A young friend of mine in Colorado just bought one last summer and has lifted it a few inches, put on bigger tires, etc. He and my son-in-law go far off roading in it, to ski, and they had begun camping out of it on deer hunts (I don't think they have actually killed a deer yet, but they are trying).

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I've met a couple of people who put American inline 6 engines in Jaguars, I suppose as an economy measure (breakdowns are expensive.) I'm sure most of these restomods would retain their value better if kept original. when you get down to it, I suppose a restomod is really just a classy hotrod. How do they differ from a restorod?
    Bless you! I thought I'd devised this memory (I was doing some 'interesting things' then... most memories from that time period are suspect, except marrying my first wife... that nightmare shall reside forever fresh in my brane...) but I remember I was at an auto show (outdoor, in a large field, park in a line, shine 'em up and sit back to wait for the kudos and/or offers) in mid-state Pennsylvania in the early 70's. A denizen there had swapped an inline 6 from a Chevvy pickup into a Jag "E" type and had then plunged that worthy knuckle-busting bugger into the pickup truck. I only noticed because there was a very properly turned-out Brit (Bowler, Brolly and folded raincoat) beating the owner of these two severely about the head and shoulders with said Brolly, all the time alluding to a desire to "quarter him like Babbington" in a "Received" accent. Local security finally interceded before the Brolly Broke.

It's always a tough call. I have always wanted to build a hot Jag. I bought this 120 from a local couple years ago and it came with the bill of sale from when the woman traded in her 49 MGTC for it. The amount of history prevented me from putting an e type motor in it and brooklands screens. I actually promised that I would not restore it for three years. 20181025_153855.jpgEsmarelda 005 (2014_02_23 15_02_43 UTC).jpg

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Nice!
    boat
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Dream car!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Bless you! I thought I'd devised this memory (I was doing some 'interesting things' then... most memories from that time period are suspect, except marrying my first wife... that nightmare shall reside forever fresh in my brane...) but I remember I was at an auto show (outdoor, in a large field, park in a line, shine 'em up and sit back to wait for the kudos and/or offers) in mid-state Pennsylvania in the early 70's. A denizen there had swapped an inline 6 from a Chevvy pickup into a Jag "E" type and had then plunged that worthy knuckle-busting bugger into the pickup truck. I only noticed because there was a very properly turned-out Brit (Bowler, Brolly and folded raincoat) beating the owner of these two severely about the head and shoulders with said Brolly, all the time alluding to a desire to "quarter him like Babbington" in a "Received" accent. Local security finally interceded before the Brolly Broke.
    Just about the perfect response!

There are several cars that I owned in the past that were at the time very dear to me, cars that were at that time pretty good by the standards of the day. They are now just memories, good ones, but if I were able to drive any of them today I'm sure that those memories would be sadly tarnished by the reality of the comparison with what I drive today.
    So, take my Sunbeam Rapier series 4, 16 seconds from 0 60, my diesel pickup does it in 12, top speed 90mph, the pickup will pull around 105, it has aircon, handles better, has much better seating, power steer, is quieter, has a great sound system and a whole lot of other things, plus uses about 60% of the fuel in spite of being a much bigger vehicle.

If I could get that smart looking little two door, and put, say, a 2 litre Toyota engine with a 6 speed manual tranny in it, and add all the other goodies that we expect today, tune up the suspension somewhat to stop the body roll and understeer, and put decent seating in it, I think I'd be a starter.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

it's your car, your money and no one should have a right to tell you what to do with it. Unless it's extremely rare or of significant historical value, tell the haters to STFU.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I sort of wish I could have kept every car I've had over the years, but Jay Leno I'm not...
    Right now, out of the lot of them it might be the '55 100-4 Healy with overdrive and the M engine or the 120 Jag

I saw a modern edition of the Dodge Power Wagon on the road yesterday, huge truck, ' crew cab' , etc. and got to musing about placing the underpinnings of that truck under an 'unmolested' earlier version (say mid-1950's) . That would make for a rugged, fairly reliable vehicle, no ? [ I wonder how much of the modern interior one could squeeze into the old cab ? ]

Rick
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 11-24-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

jay leno's 1942 power-wagon 6x6
    rebuilt by legacy: https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html
    cummins 6bt
    dana 60s - air lockers
    borg warner transmission and differential
    boxed frame
    etc
    etc

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You can't speak of mods without including Daytona Beach!

“Perpetual optimism is a force to live by.”

Colin Powell