Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herschel

Default Herschel

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Not at all. I'm just saying that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. You can hide behind whatever words you want, he was still calling him an Uncle Tom.

No, I was not calling him an Uncle Tom. I was calling out the Republican Party for running a guy that has essentially zero qualifications other than being black and being well known for his football record.

Lindsey Graham did an interview where I believe he used three different references to his race. (African American, black, and person of color)
    Watch from 3:42 to 4:30 in this video and tell that is not exactly what they are saying about why he is in the senate race.

https://youtu.be/lri1ce1XvfQ
    An African American, black heisman trophy winner that will make children of color want to be republicans.
    Please explain how I have misrepresented Lindsay Grahams remarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 11-17-2022 at 11:09 AM.
    Tom

Default Re: Herschel

I learned from a speech he made that he'd rather be a werewolf than a vampire.
    His resume is incredibly diverse
    Study Peace

L Z Granderson did a piece in yesterday's LA Times that pretty well summarizes Herschel Walker and the Republican Party (Granderson is black, if that matters):

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...aphael-warnock

I've copied a few paragraphs below:

"....I’ve been thinking about “A Soldier’s Play” of late because of the candidacy of Herschel Walker, who is seeking Georgia’s Senate seat. He reminds me of the character C.J. Memphis, a stereotypical Southern Black man who white people know will never be in charge. Walker might be elected a senator, but he will never be in charge. Not of them anyway...

This was inadvertently made clear by Walker’s campaign manager, Scott Paradise, who on Monday had to ask members of his own party to stop “siphoning money away from Georgia” with “deceptive fundraising tactics.”

Apparently over the weekend, Save America, a political action committee connected to former President Trump, sent an email asking donors to help Walker win next month’s runoff election against Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock. The problem was Save America was automatically keeping 90% of those contributions unless donors clicked a second link to allocate otherwise. Since being called out, Save America adjusted the split to 50-50. But it wasn’t just Trump’s organization that had that default. Similar fundraising emails connected to J.D. Vance and Ted Budd went out after those Republicans had already won their Senate seats in Ohio and North Carolina....

...Now, considering Walker first made a name for himself playing college football, I’m sure the Heisman winner is accustomed to large organizations using his name and likeness to make money he’ll never touch. But come on. Even the North Carolina Republican Party sent an email with the same 9-to-1 ratio. It’s as if everyone in the party was in on the boondoggle. Well … almost everyone. Walker doesn’t seem to be in on anything....

Exit polls from the midterms showed that the only racial demographic that supported Walker was white people, so that’s a clue to the answer.

The clips of Walker fumbling over his words, talking in circles and just completely making stuff up are plentiful. Some are embarrassingly funny. Most are sad reminders that Walker isn’t an electrifying new voice in the conservative movement, just a pawn in a game he’s not aware is being played.

Much like C.J. Memphis from “A Soldier’s Play.” The only difference is Memphis didn’t carry around a fake police badge.

For every $10 sent to Trump’s Save America in support of Walker in the Georgia runoff, $9 was being kept away from the candidate unless donors said otherwise. He wasn’t in charge then, and if elected, he still won’t be in charge.

Just the kind of Black leadership a lot of white Georgians are obviously comfortable with."

The National Republican Senatorial Committee asks for donations that it claims will go to the "Team Herschel" campaign ... but unless those donating specifically click on a link to do that ALL their donation goes to the NRSC!

https://secure.winred.com/nrsc/take-...gaAmpdEALw_wcB
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Walker's Quest for Self-Improvement

In a campaign speech on Wednesday, the Republican candidate for US Senate in Georgia, Herschel Walker, told supporters: “I don’t want to be a vampire any more. I want to be a werewolf.”

The remark was the latest controversial or outright bizarre intervention from the former football star who like other candidates endorsed by Donald Trump struggled to overcome his Democratic opponent in the midterm elections.

Choosing to rehash the plot of a film he said he recently watched late at night, whose title he remembered as “Fright Night, Freak Night, or some type of night”, he said in rambling remarks: “I don’t know if you know, but vampires are some cool people, are they not? But let me tell you something that I found out: a werewolf can kill a vampire. Did you know that? I never knew that.

“So, I don’t want to be a vampire any more. I want to be a werewolf.”

http://Herschel Walker says in rambl...| The Guardian

So he doesn't want to be a Senator any more? ;-)
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I guessing he was watching one of the "Twilight" movies and went Team Jacob

Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Driving a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire works even if it turns out that he's not a vampire.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Sen. Raphael Warnock's campaign is running a new 30-second ad — so far it's aired in Atlanta — that is almost entirely Trump speaking at his announcement and urging support for Herschel Walker.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/...runoff-2022-11

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Sen. Raphael Warnock's campaign is running a new 30-second ad — so far it's aired in Atlanta — that is almost entirely Trump speaking at his announcement and urging support for Herschel Walker.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/...runoff-2022-11
    The kiss of death.

warnock should do much better in the runoff without stacey abrams name appearing on the same ballot
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

why ?

I thought she ran about neck and neck in the governors race.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    why ?

I thought she ran about neck and neck in the governors race.
    she energizes the republican base

I imagine not having that 'third party' siphoning votes might have an effect, as well. And the control is no longer in doubt. It'll be interesting if it's close, or a blow-out.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

HISTORY: The Dallas Cowboys traded Walker to Minnesota for millions plus draft picks that resulted in 3 Super Bowls. Walker lasted two seasons in Minn. Until the Russell Wilson deal, Walker was considered the worst in NFL history.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

The Warnock story about running over his first wife seems to have more traction (sorry, bad pun) than I ever would have thought. I won't pretend to have any real insights, but he does seem like a genuinely compassionate and intelligent human being. I am amazed he doesn't win walking away.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    HISTORY: The Dallas Cowboys traded Walker to Minnesota for millions plus draft picks that resulted in 3 Super Bowls. Walker lasted two seasons in Minn. Until the Russell Wilson deal, Walker was considered the worst in NFL history.

A bit of overstatement, Jim.

Walker was voted into the Pro Bowl twice. He is 35th on the all-time list of running backs for yardage. He lasted 12 years in the NFL. This is hardly the resume of a worst player.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    A bit of overstatement, Jim.

Walker was voted into the Pro Bowl twice. He is 35th on the all-time list of running backs for yardage. He lasted 12 years in the NFL. This is hardly the resume of a worst player.

Kevin

He was quite the runner in football. Running for senator ought to require a different set of abilities.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The Warnock story about running over his first wife seems to have more traction (sorry, bad pun) than I ever would have thought. I won't pretend to have any real insights, but he does seem like a genuinely compassionate and intelligent human being. I am amazed he doesn't win walking away.
    No stories about Hershel beating his girl friend and then taking her to get an abortion?
    Oh wait, he's a republican...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    No stories about Hershel beating his girl friend and then taking her to get an abortion?
    Oh wait, he's a republican...
    You are half right. Those stories are circulating, but his supporters either don't believe or don't care.

Remember, the mantra of the right is "The ends justify the means!"
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

He was quite the runner in football. Running for senator ought to require a different set of abilities.
    I am not rooting for Herschel.

But commitment, desire, focus, the ability to work with others are all characteristics of winning athletes that translate into other endeavors.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I am not rooting for Herschel.

But commitment, desire, focus, the ability to work with others are all characteristics of winning athletes that translate into other endeavors.

Kevin
    Like parenting? Oh, wait…
    Tom

. . . commitment, desire, focus, the ability to work with others are all characteristics of winning athletes that translate into other endeavors.
    Yes . . . they translate sometimes, for some people. And being an effective Senator also requires some abilities that are not at all necessary to play football well.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Yes . . . they translate sometimes, for some people. And being an effective Senator also requires some abilities that are not at all necessary to play football well.
    Sure. But the attributes I stated are certainly meaningful, dont you agree?

Kevin

Sure. But the attributes I stated are certainly meaningful, don't you agree?
    Yes, and you don't get as good as he was at football without them. But Mr Walker last played pro football 25 years ago, and it's very common, almost a truism, that even extremely talented athletes are often not very good at other things once they retire. There are exceptions, of course.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

OJ was good at other things...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    OJ was good at other things...
    he was a slashing runner

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    he was a slashing runner
    And a damned good criminal, nothing better than "commitment, desire, focus" with the ability to work with others being optional.

“They’re bringing pronouns into our military, they’re bringing wokeness into our military—I don’t even know what the heck is a pronoun,” he said at a rally Sunday. “I can tell you that I’m sick and tired of this pronoun stuff. What I want our military men and women to do is to be at war fighting.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    “They’re bringing pronouns into our military, they’re bringing wokeness into our military—I don’t even know what the heck is a pronoun,” he said at a rally Sunday. “I can tell you that I’m sick and tired of this pronoun stuff. What I want our military men and women to do is to be at war fighting.”
    "Walker for War"

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Driving a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire works even if it turns out that he's not a vampire.
    Hahaha! Wise words Bflat.

Saw a funny meme that said Senator Warnock: Vampire Slayer

Jeesh, I hope it isn't even close.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

From The Atlantic: Yes, he did it voluntarily. She still makes a very good point.

Herschel Walker Is an American Tragedy
    Black bodies, white agendas
    By Caroline Randall Williams

Commodity. Chattel. Contraband. Capital. What is a Black body in the South? What is a Black southern man, carted out to work a white-owned field?

It’s impossible today to talk about Black men and white agendas without talking about Herschel Walker, the Republican candidate for Senate in the runoff election in Georgia. But in order to talk about Walker, I’ve got to start in what may be his actual state of residence, Texas.

I watched the film version of Friday Night Lights almost obsessively during my senior year of high school. My father had just died. He was a diplomat, a businessman, and the general counsel of the U.S. Army, and he loved conservative optics and southern spaces and all manner of iconic Americana, for good or ill. So the movie connected me to him, or something—offered me catharsis, or something. The movie immersed me in all of the hard, strange things about the South, the questions about achievement and race and class and excellence and objectification, and what it can mean to lose or win or talk to God about any of it.

But there was one scene I hated to watch. Coach Gaines is getting ready for the start of the season, and attending a booster-club dinner with a table of wealthy white donors who presumably love God and football and Texas and not a whole lot else. It’s a subtle scene, the dinner party spliced with distracting clips of the players at a raucous high-school party. A woman talks almost salaciously about the physicality of the young men she saw on the field during practice: “What I saw was speed out there, but where’s the beef, Coach? I saw me some small boys.” The master’s wife, perusing the auction block. Then a cut to more beer guzzling, more Run-D.M.C., more teenage hijinks. And then it’s back to the elegant, sinister dining room.

Quietly, the woman worried about how small the players are this year offers Gaines some advice. “You know what you should do?” she says. “You should play Boobie Miles [on] defense. Work him both ways.” Coach doesn’t quite see it that way—you don’t risk your prize thoroughbred on a recreational outing. “Well, see, the problem with that is,” he replies, “I don’t want to get him hurt. We need him to score touchdowns.” The woman doesn’t miss a beat. And her reply is seared forever on my brain. “Bull****. That big nigger ain’t gonna break. You wanna beat Midland Lee, you play him middle linebacker.”

That big nigger ain’t gonna break. Every time I watch one of these smug, jowly, dangerous Republicans sitting next to Herschel Walker, wheeling him out for their own designs, I see that dinner-table conversation in the background of my mind. Walker is a big, ball-carrying Black man, and these Republicans do not have an ounce of care for him. They are using him to advance their own Constitution-compromising agenda, the way conservative white people in this country have always used Black bodies when given half a chance.

Walker stands up at podiums, and I feel shame and sorrow and resentment. He is incoherent, bumbling, oily. He smiles with a swagger that does nothing to disguise his total ignorance of how blatantly he is being taken advantage of by a party that has never intended to serve people who look like him.

Walker’s candidacy is a fundamental assault by the Republican Party on the dignity of Black Americans. How dare they so cynically use this buffoon as a shield for their obvious failings to meet the needs and expectations of Black voters? They hold him up and say, “See, our voters don’t mind his race. We’re not a racist party. We have Black people on our side too.” Parading Walker at rallies like some kind of blue-ribbon livestock does not mean you have Black people on your side. What it means is that you are promoting a charlatan—a man morally and intellectually bereft enough, blithely egomaniacal enough, to sing and dance on the world stage against his own best interest. Is he in on the joke? Does he know they picked him to save money on boot black and burnt cork, this man who made his name by bringing the master glory on the master’s field, who got comfortable eating from the master’s table?

For the record, Coach Gaines did play Boobie Miles, and Boobie Miles suffered a career-ending injury. And the team carried on. They left him and his broken Black body behind. His dreams, nothing to them. His legacy, utterly compromised.

Whether Walker wins or loses, whatever was good or valuable or worthy about his prior professional legacy has been utterly compromised. His many trophies are now and forever eclipsed by the humiliating spectacle of his political foray. He is ruined, and the party that propped him up does not care.

From where I sit, the election looks like a kind of grotesque minstrelsy. The Republican Party is saying that it wants power more than decency. It’s saying that race is a joke. We must all take note—it is willing to destroy a man to advance its cause. The party thinks he won’t break. And if he does, well, he wasn’t really one of them, anyway, was he?

I grew up in Tennessee and still live here. Although it has become obscure, in the South, if you listen closely in the right (wrong) crowd, you will still hear the term ofe thrown around to describe a Black person. Not o-a-f. Ofe, spelled o-f-e. Obsolete Farm Equipment.

I’ll ask again: What does it mean to be a Black man in the South, working a white-owned field?

I don’t particularly care that Herschel Walker doesn’t seem to know he’s being used. I care that America let it get this far, that this country has been wildly careless with Black bodies, Black stories, Black truths. I care that I’m watching the news every day with the foot of bigotry on my back and the noose of regression tightening around my throat.

Whoever wins today, Walker’s candidacy is an American tragedy.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Yes, and you don't get as good as he was at football without them. But Mr Walker last played pro football 25 years ago, and it's very common, almost a truism, that even extremely talented athletes are often not very good at other things once they retire. There are exceptions, of course.

I think the opposite.
    Pro athletes who fail in business or commit crimes make the news, not because its common, but because they are the exceptions and they are celebrities.

Ex athletes car dealership continues to flourish or star players restaurant chain expands doesnt make the news.

I would bet that if we could pull a pro teams roster at random and list the successes and failures, the former would exceed the latter.

Kevin