Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Leno is in a burn center after a burn to his face

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Jay Leno is in a burn center after a burn to his face

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/14/jay-l...-cancel-vegas/

Jay was in the Burbank garage where he stores his cars on Saturday when one of the cars erupted into flames without warning. Sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ ... the flames burned the left side of Jay's face, but thankfully did not penetrate his eye or his ear.

Default Re: Jay Leno is in a burn center after a burn to his face

“I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire,” Leno told the entertainment industry publication in a statement. “I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
    . Hope it's not too bad and wishing him a speedy recovery. I was always a Leno fan, never watched his late night competition.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I hope the burns aren't too deep.
    I'm not a car guy but I really love watching "Jay Leno's Garage".
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

That's painful! Hope he recovers well. At least nowadays they have much better burn treatments than in days of yore.

I am a Jay Leno enthusiast. My knowledge of cars is superficial only, but he pitches his programmes at my level.

I hope he is not in too much pain and can make a good recovery.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I was in a flash fire as a young man. Got my face and hands. Burned off all of my facial hair and melted the lenses on the glasses I was wearing. My hands had to stay wrapped in gauze for weeks. I have had many wounds and broken bones over the years, but never have I had pain the likes of which that couple of seconds of fire caused me. I am sure Mr. Leno has the best care in the world, but the pain, dang. I hope he gets through it quickly and makes a full recovery.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I seem to remember one of his steam car videos where there was a flash of fire under the car while lighting the boiler. That one didn't do any damage, but it seems like they replayed the flash in slow motion. I couldn't find that video last night.

It seems like the reports today are expressing more serious injuries than were admitted to yesterday. I'm hoping it's just the rhetoric of the "news" (or gossip) agencies. I can imagine that a bad facial burn might make him decide to end his appearances on TV.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Never liked his comedy, but his car show and collection are great. Gotta love a gearhead.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Default Jay Leno is in a burn center after a burn to his face

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    It seems like the reports today are expressing more serious injuries than were admitted to yesterday. I'm hoping it's just the rhetoric of the "news" (or gossip) agencies. I can imagine that a bad facial burn might make him decide to end his appearances on TV.

I would actually be surprised if he does not do a show on the accident. He is a pretty down to earth guy by all reports and I would think he would want to talk about the accident and safety issues around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I would actually be surprised if he does not do a show on the accident. He is a pretty down to earth guy by all reports and I would think he would want to talk about the accident and safety issues around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thought as well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

he should get some dreadlock moisturizer for those burns

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I hope you're right. Facial disfigurement can be a severe emotional trauma.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I seem to remember one of his steam car videos where there was a flash of fire under the car while lighting the boiler. That one didn't do any damage, but it seems like they replayed the flash in slow motion. I couldn't find that video last night.
    Found it. Following one at 16:45

Third degree burns that may require skin grafts. Damn.

JAY LENO
    FRIEND SAVES HIS LIFE ...
    After Sprayed With Gas And Engulfed In Flames

EXCLUSIVE
    11/15/2022 1:00 AM PT

jay leno
    TMZ.com

Jay Leno could have died in the fire that erupted in his Burbank garage -- it was that serious -- and we've learned it was a friend of his who may have saved his life.

Jay tells TMZ from his hospital bed ... he was working on his 1907 White Steam Car in his famed garage this past Saturday, fixing a clogged fuel line. He says there was a fuel leak and gasoline sprayed on his face and hands. Almost simultaneously a spark triggered an explosion, setting the comedian on fire.

Jay says his quick-thinking buddy Dave was right there and jumped on him, quickly smothering the flames.

TMZ broke the story ... the left side of Jay's face was badly burned. His hands were burned as well. He says he's now dealing with 3rd-degree burns and may need skin grafts. As we reported, the burns did not damage his eyes or his ears.

Jay, who was rushed to a nearby burn center by ambulance, says he expects to be hospitalized for somewhere between 5 and 10 days.

We're told Jay has canceled his various engagements for 2 weeks.

By the way ... in case you didn't do the math, the car in question is 115 years old.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/15/jay-l...-flames-burns/
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

It does sound a lot worse than originally reported. He's got to be in a lot of pain.

I'm sympathetic to his pain, having had several near misses with gasoline burns. Really lucky his eyes and ears are ok

(He's learning the hard way why external combustion is passé for automobiles)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I am a Jay Leno enthusiast. My knowledge of cars is superficial only, but he pitches his programmes at my level.

I hope he is not in too much pain and can make a good recovery.
    Same here. He has “isn’t this cool” quiet entusiasm.

A few years ago a friend of my son in law was removing the engine on a dead Subaru in our new shop and set the engine aflame. I was thanked in absentia for all the 10lb fire extinguishers I placed around the shop. Yeah, EVs are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I'm sympathetic to his pain, having had several near misses with gasoline burns. Really lucky his eyes and ears are ok

(He's learning the hard way why external combustion is passé for automobiles)
    I learned early on about gasoline as a kid, besides my own idiocy dad would bore us to tears about ways things blow up.

30 years ago, Jay’s agent talked him into making a movie. It’s not bad, and he was pretty good. But he didn’t enjoy the whole process.

https://youtu.be/HH1K7CeA9aQ

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I learned early on about gasoline as a kid, besides my own idiocy dad would bore us to tears about ways things blow up.
    My father said that when he was a kid and was told to burn a pile of leaves, he once sprinkled some gas on it. He did not do that a second time.

I have a story...
    A lifetime or two ago I had a '56 Belvedere 2 door wagon (a one owner) little flathead six I drove it cross country at or over it's limit speed and burned about half the exhaust valves.
    In my driveway I pulled the head replaced the valves and replaced 3 valve seats which involves some cutting of material and thorough cleaning afterward.
    So the head and manifold are off, the engine has no compression and the rubber fuel line is just hanging there. This is the lightbulb moment!
    I can just spin the engine with the starter, blocking the fuel line a bit with my thumb and wash everything off with gasoline.
    Well, if you do that, disconnect the ignition because there are 6 spark plug wires laying right there along the block, After about ten seconds of smugly "pressure washing" the valve seats and all with gasoline, kablooey! the thing lit off. After I put the fire on my hands out (quickly wrapped with shirt tails) I ran to the garden hose on the side of the house and washed it all still flaming into the gutter and was able to put out the fire. With water, which theoretically doesn't work. Well it in fact does work if you carefully and accurately mist it over the event.
    I survived without much damage except to my ego and my slightly toasted hand, to continue on and finish the job that day. But I am lucky, mostly have always been lucky and you do learn these things.
    Today over 50 odd years later, I always pull the ignition wire to the coil before I pressure wash using gasoline and the cars fuel pump
    (Jay Leno is also lucky (that he is alive) because I suspect he was working with a pressure vessel that doesn't just stop spraying fuel. Naphthalene (white gas) was a popular fuel for steam vehicles, I think. An excellent solvent btw.

I have another story, diesel fuel this time if anyone is interested
    *note, I learn the hard way...

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    My father said that when he was a kid and was told to burn a pile of leaves, he once sprinkled some gas on it. He did not do that a second time.
    For me it was a school safety presentation by the fire dept on the dangers of gasoline. They made a little cannon that only needed one drop of gasoline to shoot a ping pong ball into the audience. That got my attention. So I , uh, experimented. My poor mom.

Hehehe.... don't believe it was s'posed to be instructional....

As a teacher of kids, you really need to be able to think like a kid. Different wavelengths.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    For me it was a school safety presentation by the fire dept on the dangers of gasoline. They made a little cannon that only needed one drop of gasoline to shoot a ping pong ball into the audience. That got my attention. So I , uh, experimented. My poor mom.
    Mothers of boys deserve special thanks.

Back before he made it onto TV, Jay used to work at strip clubs in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Hehehe.... don't believe it was s'posed to be instructional....

As a teacher of kids, you really need to be able to think like a kid. Different wavelengths.
    I took to heart all the warnings about finding blasting caps, saw what cherry bombs could do. I kept looking for blasting caps but never found any. But that ping pong ball cannon? I had to try that out. Never made one but did make a huge blasting torch out of an underground fort. My friend somehow survived a 1/2 second blast of flame that totally engulfed his body while shooting up 20’. He was smoking, eyelashes, eyebrows and hair all curly standing stunned then we all started laughing hysterically.

Since there are stories... This is gasoline, but no fire. I was working on a customer's car that had a frozen fuel line (20 or so below outside) and I was working under it on a creeper using a heat gun to thaw it. The spot that had frozen thawed after I'd moved on a bit & a drop or 2 of gas went straight into my ear. I had heard of, but never experienced, "blinding pain". At that moment I did & yes, my world went completely black for 10-15 seconds before (I presume) the gas evaporated.

Then there was the VW bus I burned up & it got so hot the magnesium castings caught on fire. Not caused by gas though.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When I was about ten years old, a neighbor kid who was a friend got a gas flash burn on his leg.

I can still hear the screams.

An update:

Jay Leno has undergone surgery for 'significant burns,' physician says

CNN Updated: 4:49 PM EST Nov 16, 2022
    Stella Chan, CNN

Jay Leno has undergone one surgery for his burn injuries and will undergo a second procedure later this week, according to his physician.

Leno, an avid car collector, had been working underneath a vehicle on Saturday when he was burned by a gasoline fire, Dr. Peter Grossman, who is treating the former "Tonight Show Host," said during a press conference Wednesday.

"When he got pulled out from the area underneath the car, it was noted that he had pretty significant burns to face and hands," he said.

"His burns include his face, his hands, and his chest, the burns are fairly significant," Grossman noted.

Leno was first taken to a local hospital and then was transferred to the Grossman Burn Center in Los Angeles after the incident.

Leno's wife has been by his side and is "obviously very concerned," the doctor said. His injuries are a mixture of second-degree and possibly some third-degree burns, according to Grossman.

"Some of the burns to the face are a little deeper and a little more concerning. Right now they're in that progression of somewhere between deep second and third-degree burns to the face. We're hoping we can keep them from progressing by using these alternate treatments, including good wound care and hyperbaric oxygen and aggressive surgical management," he explained.

"He's Jay Leno, he's walking around, he's cracking jokes," he said, noting the comedian is "incredibly kind" to the hospital staff.

"His injuries are serious, his condition is good," he said. "I do anticipate him making a full recovery."

https://www.wpbf.com/article/jay-len...urns/41982571#
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

He's Jay Leno, he's walking around, he's cracking jokes," he said, noting the comedian is "incredibly kind" to the hospital staff.
    Why am I not surprised?

This may have been the White he was working on...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8miprLH60

Reading up on burns it is interesting to learn that while second degree burns are very painful, third degree burns are not. I guess the nerve tissue is burned away?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.