Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: EVís are becoming mainstream

Default Re: EVís are becoming mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Already happening in shopping centers for EV's and it's FREE

Attachment 123435
    I mean for places where it rains. With a coffee and pastries kiosk to wait out the drizzle or downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    in portlandia maybe
    Heck yeah, quality of life stuff.

I visited my daughter there awhile back. At the supermarket the refrigerated beer aisle had a gluten free IPA section. As much as I liked the city it elicited some of a nuerotic Berkeley vibe.
    Last edited by LeeG; 11-14-2022 at 08:54 PM.

The American Automobile Association (AAA) tested a small fleet of these trucks for about a decade but found that EV drivers paid more attention to their remaining range than drivers of gas cars and rarely needed the service.

This kind of range anxiety ONLY come from people who don't have an EV. I've had my Tesla for almost a year now and I've NEVER once in 15,000 miles of driving never experienced any range anxiety at all.
    Just anecdotal, but such is NOT my experience. Of the two folks I know who made to leap to an EV, both are nervous about range. One was a very early adopter, the other just recent. One swaps with his wife when a long trip is planned. Which sometimes takes some advance planning... and bribes.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I mean for places where it rains. With a coffee and pastries kiosk to wait out the drizzle or downpour.
    In Southern California ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

In Southern California ?
    ok, shade. I’m going for a slow moving 15 mph world.

In Southern California ?
    i got stuck in tejon pass in a snow storm last wednesday which triggered a wreck which caused chp to close i5

after three hours i went one mile and finally was able to turn around and backtrack to bakersfield then through the mojave at two in the morning (surreal that)
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just anecdotal, but such is NOT my experience. Of the two folks I know who made to leap to an EV, both are nervous about range. One was a very early adopter, the other just recent. One swaps with his wife when a long trip is planned. Which sometimes takes some advance planning... and bribes.
    Do they have a home charger ?
    Oh and yes of course it's anecdotal, mostly because I live in the land of Tesla and there are as many charging stations as there are gas stations.
    I don't even think about range, we go on road trips without any planning. One of the reasons Tesla's are great at squashing range anxiety is if you plan a long road trip the GPS will auto route every Tesla Supercharging station you need along your route. You literally can ride cross country without thinking about range at all.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 8.00.30 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-14-2022 at 11:06 PM.

i got stuck in tejon pass in a snow storm last wednesday which triggered a wreck which caused chp to close i5

after three hours i went one mile and finally was able to turn around and backtrack to bakersfield then through the mojave at two in the morning (surreal that)
    Remember that blizzard on route 95 last winter ? It closed down the highway for almost 30 hrs people in ICE vehicles were running out of gas and freezing, while people in Tesla's watched Netflix and were warm and toasty for hours and used up very little range since they weren't moving.

Man o man you have a country song right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjaNzKKbHLM
    Last edited by LeeG; 11-14-2022 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Man o man you have a country song right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjaNzKKbHLM
    And if his dog shot the sheriff during that run... it'll win awards! If you could get Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys to record it... you'd go down in history!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

EVs are definitely becoming more popular in our town, and they make a lot of sense here. We bought our first ev last weekend. There were six of them at the little corner car dealer, ranging from a used $14k Nissan Leaf to a new $75k Tesla model Y. Seems pretty accessible here.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Ya got 6 on Mount Desert Island, ME including 2 Tesla Superchargers
    Attachment 123421
    As I explained if you had actually read the post, the vast majority of those chargers are at hotels which are now closed for the winter. All but one location is level 2 and that one appears to be closed now. Many of the level two charger are only available M-F business hours since you have to into the business to get them to turn it on, which doesn't do you much good when the business is closed until late May 2023.

As technology advanced and EVs become practical for more people the big auto manufacturers will probably leapfrog Tesla very quickly. Economies of scale will make them hard to compete with. I think Tesla has somewhat of an image problem to overcome. A lot of people are put off by the negative stereotype of the typical Tesla driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dikhaut View Post
    As technology advanced and EVs become practical for more people the big auto manufacturers will probably leapfrog Tesla very quickly. Economies of scale will make them hard to compete with. I think Tesla has somewhat of an image problem to overcome. A lot of people are put off by the negative stereotype of the typical Tesla driver.
    And put off by the negative stereotype of the typical Tesla CEO (oops, not a stereotype!)
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

And if his dog shot the sheriff during that run... it'll win awards! If you could get Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys to record it... you'd go down in history!!!
    that kind of driving Pless did is good for seeing UFOs in the desert. If ya don’t get abducted and probed.

My next door neighbor was recently in a head on collision and needs a new car. She wants to go electric but is having trouble finding any in the dealerships. She is fine, thanks to her airbags. We still don’t know why the other driver was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Default EV’s are becoming mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    My next door neighbor was recently in a head on collision and needs a new car. She wants to go electric but is having trouble finding any in the dealerships. She is fine, thanks to her airbags. We still don’t know why the other driver was driving on the wrong side of the road.

I have heard of a dealership in ME that gets the Ioniq 5 in frequently. I will see if I can find the name.

Edit. Try Quick Hyundai in Bangor. They had one in stock very recently. All the electrics are hard to find.

Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 11-15-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    Tom

As technology advanced and EVs become practical for more people the big auto manufacturers will probably leapfrog Tesla very quickly. Economies of scale will make them hard to compete with.
    Tesla will soon have the ability to produce 3 million vehicles/year. And Tesla has a 30% profit margin.

It is going to be difficult for other manufacturers to leapfrog them. It will be some time before other manufacturers get up to that scale.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Tesla will soon have the ability to produce 3 million vehicles/year. And Tesla has a 30% profit margin.

It is going to be difficult for other manufacturers to leapfrog them. It will be some time before other manufacturers get up to that scale.
    Don't know why other manufacturers would want to. GM would have to cut its sales by half to match Tesla's goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post

The other manufacturers are already building many times more cars. They only have to use their existing capacity to produce EVs instead of ICE powered cars.

China is producing quite a few EVs in the $10-25k price range now. Not sure why US suppliers are so determined to make EVs a luxury item, except for the profit motive.

We'll be in the market in a year or two. One challenge will be to find one without all the blingy crap (large-screen entertainment system, etc.) that gets piled on to up the sticker price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Don't know why other manufacturers would want to. GM would have to cut its sales by half to match Tesla's goal.
    The other manufacturers are already building many times more cars. They only have to use their existing capacity to produce EVs instead of ICE powered cars.
    https://electrek.co/2022/10/18/us-el...rough-q3-2022/ has a table showing how many EVs the various manufacturers are producing.

The numbers do not show an ability to produce EVs that the general market will buy. Aside from Tesla. (And I don't see Teslas as cars for the masses.)
    Life is complex.

As I've argued before, EV's are not really ready for prime time. Anyone who buys one now is paying a premium for the privilege of doing beta testing for the mfgr/industry. And 'becoming mainstream'? Not so much. Growing in market share, yes... but even there, not as much as hybrids. And for good reason. Reliability. And this article doesn't even get into the issues around the present charging networks --

Consumer Reports Has Some Surprising News About Hybrids & EV's

As most of the major automakers play catch-up with Tesla (TSLA) - Get Free Report and make the move to fully electrify their fleets, some people might think it would be lights out for the hybrid.

However, the hybrid doesn't seem to be taking the hint.

Hybrids captured 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2013 and 5.5% in 2021, according to U.S. Department of Transportation statistics, while all-electric vehicles accounted for 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2021.

And Toyota (TOYOF) just unveiled its newest version of the Prius, which the Japanese vehicle maker introduced in 1997.

JD Power and Associates said in a report last year that "hybrid cars work best in urban areas and warmer temperatures."

"Their level of complexity, added weight, and higher purchase price presents an apparent downside," the report said, "but higher fuel efficiency in urban driving conditions and comprehensive warranty coverage can offset these disadvantages."

Now a study has found that hybrid vehicles and midsized or large sedans may not be the most popular new vehicles sold, but they are among the most reliable.

The advocacy organization Consumer Reports said that its latest Annual Auto Reliability data also shows that electric vehicles and full-size pickup trucks are the two most troublesome categories.

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-v...o&cm_ven=YAHOO
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Consumer Reports

How many EV auto's advertise in that geriatric rag ?

Consumer Reports

You spelled 'trustworthy' incorrectly. Or maybe you meant 'unbiased'? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You spelled 'trustworthy' incorrectly. Or maybe you meant 'unbiased'? <G>
    What does The Saturday Evening Post, Harper's Weekly or any other quant completely out of touch geriatric rags say about the emerging EV market ?

If you buy everything consumer reports tells you'll be driving a sh!t brown Toyota Camry, to pick up your Two Buck Chuck Wine and Depends Underwear
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-17-2022 at 10:51 PM.

What does The Saturday Evening Post, Harper's Weekly or any other quant completely out of touch geriatric rags say about the emerging EV market ?

If you buy everything consumer reports tells you'll be driving a sh!t brown Toyota Camry, to pick up your Two Buck Chuck Wine and discount deodorant
    Who would you suggest is a better, more accurate, less biased, source of automotive info? My next in line would be Car & Driver. But that's a completely different business model, so you can't really compare.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Who would you suggest is a better, more accurate, less biased, source of automotive info? My next in line would be Car & Driver. But that's a completely different business model, so you can't really compare.
    Bingo !!!!

Consumer report model is like trying to listen house music on the BBC with Graham Norton.

Essentially, what I'm saying is Consumer Reports may not have the finger on the pulse anymore.

Bingo !!!!

Consumer report model is like trying to listen house music on the BBC with Graham Norton.

Essentially, what I'm saying is Consumer Reports may not have the finger on the pulse anymore.
    Once again - who would you put forward as 'better'?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The cost of electric still turns a lot of people away. India is producing budget electric vehicles for the local market. The three wheeled Auto Rickshaws which are very popular there are available in electric for around $1350 US, and electric scooters start at around $340 US. And I'll bet the guru who developed them is way less of an arsehole than Elon Musk JayInOz

Once again - who would you put forward as 'better'?
    Buggy Whip Monthly ?

FWIW I'm going to the LA Auto Show next week I will report back how many Hybrids vs Fully EV.

Buggy Whip Monthly ?

FWIW I'm going to the LA Auto Show next week I will report back how many Hybrids vs Fully EV.
    You are dodging the question because you have no real argument. The only reason you take issue with Consumer Reports is because they've dissed your 'team'. The same way you used to get loopy when someone was pointed out the least thing wrong with Apple. You are a fanboi to the core, and you enjoy that state of being. But - like Evangelical Christians - don't try to convince the rest of us that your faith-based approach makes rational sense.

There's actual content in the article I cited. Facts. Data. Reasoned argument. But rather that agree, disagree, or rebut with contrary facts... you choose to attack the source of the article. That's faulty rhetoric. It really doesn't matter if it was Alex Jones, and Vlad the Impaler who authored the article... if it's correct. And you've offered nothing to suggest that it's not.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

As I've argued before, EV's are not really ready for prime time. Anyone who buys one now is paying a premium for the privilege of doing beta testing for the mfgr/industry. And 'becoming mainstream'? Not so much. Growing in market share, yes... but even there, not as much as hybrids. And for good reason. Reliability. And this article doesn't even get into the issues around the present charging networks --

Consumer Reports Has Some Surprising News About Hybrids & EV's

As most of the major automakers play catch-up with Tesla (TSLA) - Get Free Report and make the move to fully electrify their fleets, some people might think it would be lights out for the hybrid.

However, the hybrid doesn't seem to be taking the hint.

Hybrids captured 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2013 and 5.5% in 2021, according to U.S. Department of Transportation statistics, while all-electric vehicles accounted for 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2021.

And Toyota (TOYOF) just unveiled its newest version of the Prius, which the Japanese vehicle maker introduced in 1997.

JD Power and Associates said in a report last year that "hybrid cars work best in urban areas and warmer temperatures."

"Their level of complexity, added weight, and higher purchase price presents an apparent downside," the report said, "but higher fuel efficiency in urban driving conditions and comprehensive warranty coverage can offset these disadvantages."

Now a study has found that hybrid vehicles and midsized or large sedans may not be the most popular new vehicles sold, but they are among the most reliable.

The advocacy organization Consumer Reports said that its latest Annual Auto Reliability data also shows that electric vehicles and full-size pickup trucks are the two most troublesome categories.

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-v...o&cm_ven=YAHOO
    Evs are just as ready for prime time as ICE’s when oil production slows down. In other words the context of the times will weigh on the access to energy enabling an individual to move one person with 4000lbs of vehicle and build a few million EVs. EVs are ready for prime time but not as replacements for ICEs from the last century.

Consumer Reports

Same number as IC autos--none.

Bingo !!!!

Of course,Consumer Reports is the only US magazine maintaining its own independent test track, and buys the cars it tests.