Thread: Creating 2 piece oars

Default Creating 2 piece oars

Hi, I imagine this question has been asked a few times before although I can't find the answer. I want to turn my oars into 2 piece oars so I can store them more easily in my 1960's clinker built 12 foot sailing dinghy. I'm fine with the sawing them in half bit but am struggling to find a quick and reliable way of connecting them back together as I don't seem to be able to find a supplier of ferrules in the UK. I guess this has been done many times before as a diy job so just wondered if anyone had any ideas . Thanks.

Default Re: Creating 2 piece oars

I've spent hours researching this topic. I need 12' oars for my CY but my storage area is only 8.5 feet. There are some very pricey 2-piece oars available for river rafting, but I have not found anything simple and inexpensive.

Local friend made some with a sort of scarf splice with each tapered end secured by a ring and a small bolt through the splice with a wing nut. We got the idea from a vid off a boat works site in the US. I will dig it out.
    They suit his little gaff cruiser very well and are quick to assemble.

If just cutting in half, how about visiting your local SS fabricater and getting short lengths of SS tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Stora Le View Post
    Whoa! Thanks for the link.

I've used the Duckworks ones and they are fine.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I was just looking at these for making a breakdown double paddle. In case you are thinking of looking around for a better deal, don’t bother. Everything similar that I saw was double the price. $30 for a big hunk of carbon like that is a pretty great deal apparently.
    Dreaming of sailing in Iowa, building a Carnell Nutmeg.

But what about the footprint?? There was a fellow who had an excellent takedown sculling oar for his cruiser, that was much as suggested by Andrew 2. A foot or foot and a half long tapered splice with a short metal sleeve in the middle with a pin through. I believe the one I saw used an SS bolt with a wingnut. It looked stout and practical.

I could see the duckworks units also being useful for making long oars out of shorter stock.

WoodenBoat issue #229 November-December 2012 .
    Page 40, "When the wind fails" is an article by Harry Bryan which explains the building of two piece oars and a side deck mounted bracket for a small outboard.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Page 40, "When the wind fails" is an article by Harry Bryan which explains the building of two piece oars and a side deck mounted bracket for a small outboard.
    Thanks, the video was of a decription of Harry Bryon's small gaff cruiser on his offcenterharbour.com series.

Thanks, they do look really good and it would be an excellent solution but unfortunately shipping a pair to the UK doubles the price and with the Pound/Dollar exchange rate that starts to look very expensive.
    Last edited by wingers; 11-13-2022 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Local friend made some with a sort of scarf splice with each tapered end secured by a ring and a small bolt through the splice with a wing nut. We got the idea from a vid off a boat works site in the US. I will dig it out.
    They suit his little gaff cruiser very well and are quick to assemble.

If just cutting in half, how about visiting your local SS fabricater and getting short lengths of SS tube?

Thanks. The article sounds really useful and would be very interested to read it once you've dug it out. I must admit I'm warming to the idea of just getting some stainless tubing and going with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Sounds interesting - do you know if I can read the article online or do I need to order a copy of the magazine?

I can recommend these, I have a pair of the small ones on a kayak , also have a pair of the larger ones on a pair of 9 ft 6in oars, both are very satisfactory.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wingers View Post
    Thanks. The article sounds really useful and would be very interested to read it once you've dug it out. I must admit I'm warming to the idea of just getting some stainless tubing and going with that.
    I saw the vid on here: https://www.offcenterharbor.com/tour/ but it was free back then. Now you have to sign up, but you could do the free trial...

Quote Originally Posted by wingers View Post
    Sounds interesting - do you know if I can read the article online or do I need to order a copy of the magazine?

You can visit our hosts site, Woodenboat store, and purchase digital issues for little money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.