Thread: Value of Herreshoff 11' 06" Columbia Dinghy

Default Value of Herreshoff 11' 06" Columbia Dinghy

I am buying a cedar over oak sailing/ rowing Columbia dinghy from a friend for "whatever you think it is worth." His dad built it in 1978, has never been in the water, but has been protected under a roof outside for last 44 years. It is in good condition, with only a few cracks in a few planks around the copper rivets. I don't know if it will leak when it is splashed. The varnish is in good shape and there is some visible caulk that is not very pliable. There are oars, a 16' mast, dagger board, tiller and rudder. There is no trailer, sail, boom, hardware for the rudder, deck or for the mast. Any input on the value would be appreciated. Thanks All! Alan

Default Re: Value of Herreshoff 11' 06" Columbia Dinghy

If buitlt correctly, she's lapstrake and should have no, much less show no, caulking. It's possible that the splits were caused by drying over the past four decades or originally by over-tightening the rivets. From your post, can't tell if swelling her will work of if you've a nightmare of work ahead.

Try putting her in the water, swamped, and let her sit a while.

Thanks Ian. I am wrestling with swamping her as you suggest or epoxying her while she is dry. The cracks are a concern. I was surprised to see the caulking. I wonder if his dad put her in the water and caulked some leaks. I suppose swamping her would give me an idea of what I am dealing with project wise. Venture an opinion of what I should pay my friend for the boat?

Pictures please... before you crack seals on epoxy.

Welcome aboard!
    As much as the Columbia Dinghy is revered design, I'm of the opinion that a wood boat that doesn't float has little cash value. I would consider the price as if were a parts boat. A few years back I sold a 19' sailing dory skiff for $500 as there was one rotten spot at the chine. It was complete with trailer and sails. Good luck, keep us posted.

Photos would be good. Visible caulk doesn’t sound good. Let’s see her.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

jebus do not put epoxy on her !!!
    and coming from me.....
    the wee boat could be worth quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hardwick View Post
    I am buying a cedar over oak sailing/ rowing Columbia dinghy from a friend for "whatever you think it is worth." His dad built it in 1978, has never been in the water, but has been protected under a roof outside for last 44 years. It is in good condition, with only a few cracks in a few planks around the copper rivets. I don't know if it will leak when it is splashed. The varnish is in good shape and there is some visible caulk that is not very pliable. There are oars, a 16' mast, dagger board, tiller and rudder. There is no trailer, sail, boom, hardware for the rudder, deck or for the mast. Any input on the value would be appreciated. Thanks All! Alan

Personally, I walk away from situations like this. Friendship is more important.

Jeff

Writing as an epoxyholic, epoxy has no place in those seams or planks.

Sinking is really to let her gently swell. Could take a week.

A boat of this sort in perfect condition is worth a bit. This sounds a few hundred work-hours off. As is she sounds worth more getting out of one garage (and into another) is the prime value.

G'luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Writing as an epoxyholic, epoxy has no place in those seams or planks.
    My take as well, unless what you're seeing is closer to kindling than a safe and (relatively) sound boat in dire need of some TLC for salvation.

Too, you ought to consider what your level of woodworking skills may be at this point in your endeavor, what you can bring to the task of successfully completing what you're about to undertake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hardwick View Post
    ...has never been in the water, but has been protected under a roof outside for last 44 years. It is in good condition, with only a few cracks in a few planks around the copper rivets. I don't know if it will leak when it is splashed.
    I'd wager it'll leak.

Maybe a little, maybe a lot. (There are alternatives to simply tossing it into the nearest pond, then waiting to see what happens.)

Pictures would help us all appreciate the better what you alone have been able to lay eyes upon so far, make a call as to what might be worth doing next.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 11-12-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Value, a subjective topic. One one hand you are getting a boat that cost someone a certain/significant amount on the other hand you are doing that family a significant favor by rescuing their negligence. I’d give them $500 and then take the best advice that is coming your way in order to complete the original vibration.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

20221107_143317.jpg20221107_143231.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks to me like you should take the boat and go rowing and sailing. Does she have the rig? There is no rudder hardware, but that is easily solved. The break in the plank at the bow may have been dealt with already with glue, hopefully. These boats row and tow beautifully and sail very well, sitting in the bottom gives plenty of ballast. You might well get the book on building this boat for more details.

I'd put her in the water (when conditions where you are permit such an outing) while staying watchful for leaks or evidence of movement.

Looks like much of the evident damage to planking was sustained when the riveting was being done, not something that happened during use.

A complete restoration will take time, skill, patience and money but that may not be necessary, depending on your intentions.

Forget about epoxy. It's neither appropriate nor recommended.

The current owner has nothing invested in it but sentiment. Were I in your position I'd willingly accept it as a gift, otherwise maybe make an offer in the $400-500 range.

That is reasonable. It isn't finished, it has minor issues and it isn't a great replica with sheer and sheerstrake issues (cosmetic, not structural).

Ian, Steven, John, Thad, SP, Matt, Patrick and Wizbang, Thank you all for your guidance. I will forget about the epoxy. I ordered the Barry Thomas book, Building the Herreshoff Dinghy. Sounds like the proof will be in the pudding, or putting her in the water, that is. My friends father is 92 and he thinks his dad will be thrilled to see pictures of the boat on the water. $500 makes sense given the uncertainty of how she will behave once put in the water. I proposed this with a suggestion of more money if she will not require a lot of work. I will keep you posted how she does when splashed the next Indian Summer or in the Spring. Thanks again!

That's a great deal! Any updates?