Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home burial

Default Home burial

“A family may take care of all aspects of disposition from death to interment, inurnment, entombment or transporting out of state without the assistance of a funeral director/establishment.” Texas Funeral Commission

Not really at home, but out at the place. People have been burying family on their land for a long, long time. Pick a nice spot. Have a hole pre-dug. Only need to be covered by 2 feet of dirt. Wrapped in a sheet. Or call it a shroud so it sounds fancy. Load up in the back of the jeep. Drop the package in. Shovel shovel. Done.

Quick. Can be the same day. Need to fill out a one page form and fax it to the health department.

Save the family $10,000. And I have no love for the funeral industry. I think the nephews could handle the heavy lifting. Why not?

Default Re: Home burial

sky burial
    birds gotta eat too
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If the law say 2 feet of dirt you just know reality is less than 1. Bunch a rebels…
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Sky burial would be messy. Coyotes digging it up would be messier.

when i bury a cow stomach i put a piece of plywood over and weigh it down with tires.

No one wants to buy your relatives corpse when you sell your house.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Make it easy for them, dig the hole, install the marker, buy the required number of shovels and a wheelbarrow, fill out the form and store it with a pen, a cotton sheet and some string in a clearly marked envelope on your nightstand. Next family reunion inform the nephews that you have amended your will so that they either respect your burial wishes or the entire estate goes to *** (insert something they find despicable).

Sounds a good plan. Though cremation is pretty cheap. Maybe a geezil. Maybe even less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sounds OK to me on a homestead. Probably not on a place destined to be sold in the near future.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter;[URL="tel:6754302"
    6754302[/URL]]when i bury a cow stomach i put a piece of plywood over and weigh it down with tires.
    Have you priced plywood lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon;[URL="tel:6754336"
    6754336[/URL]]Sounds OK to me on a homestead. Probably not on a place destined to be sold in the near future.

Vern
    There was an old graveyard in the woods near my uncle’s place. Some nice headstones, some crude. About 2 dozen. Overgrown and lost.

No marker; no one has to know. I’ve got 3 dogs buried in the backyard. Nobody minds.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 11-09-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Have you priced plywood lately?
    ok, you deserve the truth, i use osb.

Planting a pine tree ontop of dog graves is something I do. My Sister got a road burial.
    Her ashes were scattered along a rural motorcycling route she loved.
    My Dad always said he wanted to be buried in a post hole, his feet sticking out for birds to roost on.
    Ma planted Dad six foot deep, horizontal.
    As home burial goes. Ma's ashes lay on a ledge of a sandstone outcrop of the ridge above the farm where she was born in Huff Valley Ontario, WI
    I was conceived and born at the same farmstead, one generation on, my dusty remains on the same ledges.

My mother-in-law always said she wanted to be rototilled into her garden. As the one most likely to be given that assignment, I didn't relish the thought of grinding her flesh and bones into the soil.

I was relieved, many years later, to learn she planned to be cremated first.

I forgot to tell the buyer of our last house that the owner before us buried his wife in the garden and planted a tree over her. Tree was flourishing...

When he passed, my Dad was cremated, and his ashes broadcast over the 80 acre farm he loved ( Northwest Indiana )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

You need good records.
    The last thing that you want is to be digging up Great Granny when planting your mum.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That’s been pretty common for a long while. 5-6 years in the ground and the bones come out for the next one.

That’s been pretty common for a long while. 5-6 years in the ground and the bones come out for the next one.

How far back do you go?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Good reminders for the living. Puts things in perspective.

D9E8EE18-2E41-4BF0-95EC-0921D40C3D05.jpg

When my mother-in-law passed, we put her in a pine box and buried her in a cemetery that went with the old home she lived in. I think the family thought we were being cheap, but she would have had it no other way. She always said, "I don't care what you do with my body. I will be gone". We did erect a rather elaborate marker and I do think she would have approved of that too.

Then there was the friend we shot out of a cannon....
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

One of my best friends was just buried on a hill overlooking his house in Swoope, Virginia, his wife has a bench up there and can sit and remember him and enjoy the view.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Mom and Dad's ashes were scattered at Red 32 just off the breakwater at Stamford Harbor.

We always said if you can see 32 you can make it home......

When my parents died, I followed the Jewish tradition; they were buried in a plain casket with no finish, just bare wood, in a Jewish cemetery. It is only a couple of miles from my home.

It is also a Jewish tradition for visitors to a grave to place a rock on top of the gravestone, to show that a mourner had visited. Unfortunately, the cemetery is a memorial park, meaning that there are no upright headstones, only bronze plaques flush to the ground, and stones are prohibited to make maintenance like grass cutting easier.

Nonetheless, I visit often. Someone once said that no one truly dies until there is no one left alive that remember them in life, and it is something I take to heart. Every year, I travel to NJ/NY to visit the graves of my grandparents, where I can leave a stone. I’m sure I am the only one who visits, but their memory is still alive, for me.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

A volunteer on the battleship New Jersey had his cremains fired over the Delaware River from one of the secondary battery guns.

Since the 1980s, WW2 vets visiting battlefields would throw a quarter wherever they’d lost a friend. Metal detector hobbyists have learned to leave them.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I suppose it makes a difference if you have a lot of land or not.A small suburban garden wouldn't be an obvious choice.I have heard of a man who had his ashes scattered on the green of his bowling club (for our American friends,over here bowling is an outdoor activity conducted on grass,Francis Drake style).All well and good until the bowling club folded and the ground was sold to a builder whose application for planning permission was derailed when a neighbour brought up the matter.Not only was the builder shocked by the information,he also recognised that people might not want to live in a house built over the spot.I never did hear what happened next.

Upon my death, I would hope that someone who enjoyed dickering would commence a negotiation with the funeral people. First, they'd chose the lowest cost options for each and every decision, groaning under their breath, and then, once the tally is announced, groaning quietly again and asking "yeah, but what's the cash price?" As this is how I would conduct the conversation.

Dig a hole and roll me in. An OSB lid is fine, too, though honestly, don't you think I deserve some reclaimed hardiebacker?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    An OSB lid is fine, too, though honestly, don't you think I deserve some reclaimed hardiebacker?
    Members of the woodenboat forum deserve a craigslist special, smear the bilges with a bucket of tar, then add a can of gasoline. Makes for a nice insurance claim for the descendants.

I wonder how many chords of wood are needed for a proper funeral pyre? Don’t want medium rare leftovers to upset sensibilities.

I remember wakes at the rural homes of the deceased. I once belonged to a woodcarving club that included the owner of a Funeral Home. As I owned an old home having a room layout with a "front parlor' I asked whether such a wake was still possible, and he said "sure".

I ... maybe I shouldn't?

Nah, I will...

My Mum died near the start of the Covid pandemic. Her will stated, with regards to funeral plans, NO FUSS!, in big block capitals and underlined twice - I didn't know her computer printer could do that - but it did request her cremated remains be interred with my (buried) father. Her cremation, under the then-enforced strict lockdown rules, precluded friends and mourners from attending, and (as it was basically pointless) any family present.

The day of the funeral, me and my wife sat down in the kitchen and lit a candle, 100 miles away from the unattended cremation.

Roll on a few months. The funeral director, wearing a mask, and refusing to come within 2m, handed me, arm stretched, a cardboard tube, about the size of a decent 1-litre bottle of whisky.

Ashes.

But it ain't me Mum. She lives in my memories, and in the photos and a few artifacts saved from her house sale. In the jokes me and my brother in the US share by Messenger.

So I put the tube in the boot of the car.

And, since then, well, she's been to work with me about 300 times, travelled around Scotland more than she ever did in her life, popped down to the beach once or twice, and passed two MOTs.

The church where she wants to be buried say "£300" for the No Fuss Special. They, naturally, do religion. I do not.

But I will get around to it. She wanted it. Though certainly from the legal point-of-view, I note she never specified quite "when" she wanted to be buried, and - I have to say - I quite like having her around. She's no fuss, for sure.

Thing is, I suppose, when I do get around to it, my ties with North Cumbria will be gone. Her friends - the ones I knew, growing up - are elderly, very elderly, and I'll have no real connections, no reasons to visit other than to clean a gravestone (110 miles away?), nothing in the years ahead.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

I’ve been looking, twice, for a small graveyard on the texas coast where my great grandfather is buried. I saw it once as a child. With the stone bearing my name. My memory is that it was a house sized lot in an old neighborhood. There are a couple of more little towns to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Members of the woodenboat forum deserve a craigslist special, smear the bilges with a bucket of tar, then add a can of gasoline. Makes for a nice insurance claim for the descendants.
    Set it afloat somewhere and have a Viking funeral. As for being 'green' about it, I'd think it would be okay, if it isn't strictly legal, to just dump a body in the drink, if it was far enough off-shore, it's gonna feed the crabs and etc before it washes up recognizable anywhere. But that is just an off the cuff idea I'm making up and someone's already thought all this through long long ago, so

I wonder how many chords of wood are needed for a proper funeral pyre? Don’t want medium rare leftovers to upset sensibilities.
    About 1/3 cord of seasoned hardwood, for an approx. 6h burntime. This asumes the fire is tended properly, otherwise you need more.