Thread: Waiting in line to vote

Default Waiting in line to vote

Lots of skin. Birkenstocks and hot lib chicks with many tattoos. I love old Austin.

Getting sidelong glances for not displaying some sign of wokeness.

Only a few patchouli scented old men doddering around as a grim reminder of the revolution.

Iíll watch CNN tonight for fun.

Default Re: Waiting in line to vote

We had a big turnout in lower bumfuzzle where I live. Had to wait in line for 10-15 minutes, which isn't the norm. Of course, the last presidential election I waited over two hours, on a bad hip, in the cold, so this wasn't that bad.

Lots of oldsters where I vote. One old dude, arms covered in tattoos and with one of those MIA bandana thingees shouted out 'I am here to kick those Democrats out of office!', which raised a bit of a cheer. Only problem with that is, these were only state elections, and if there is a Democrat serving anywhere near my district in Washington I don't know of him/her. This is a one-party state. It was a Democratic party state when the whites all voted Democratic, and since Reagan has been a Republican party state without fail. Well, at least until the choices were between our sitting state attorney general and an accused pedophile, and the pedophile did a lot better than you'd think.

I try not to think too much about this stuff on voting days. As I said, I love my home state, but sometimes I just don't know why?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

What's a hot lib chick?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Lots of skin. Birkenstocks and hot lib chicks with many tattoos. I love old Austin.

Getting sidelong glances for not displaying some sign of wokeness.

Only a few patchouli scented old men doddering around as a grim reminder of the revolution.

I’ll watch CNN tonight for fun.
    I used to like voting in person. I'd run into neighbors I hadn't seen in months, and maybe have a chance to chat.

And I would be loathe to deprive you of your sociological observation time...

But I really have to say - this state's 'vote by mail' approach is an overall big improvement. More involvement. Easier to manage. Less opportunity for corruption/incompetence (though not zero). And no tedious, or even painful, experiences like Mickie's.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    It was a Democratic party state when the whites all voted Democratic, and since Reagan has been a Republican party state without fail.
    When the whites all voted Democratic, and the blacks couldn't vote at all. Alabama was a Democratic party state because Abe Lincoln and US Grant were Republicans, from the end of Reconstruction until the Great Southern Switch. (Not criticism, just history.)

I voted last Friday, early at the local library. Not much skin showing on anyone in Minnesota in November. There were lots of people there, a fair cross-section of the area, about a fifteen minute wait even with very, very efficient poll workers.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I voted by mail way back in October 16th, got a text from the State that my ballot was received and counted. Haven't waited on line since we moved to California.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

There was a young woman with cursive looking tattoo script running around her body. It dipped around her ribs then back up. And a dragon looking thing coming up her neck. I’d need to slowly spin her around to read the message. Really difficult to appreciate the art without a better view. Her clothing was too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    What's a hot lib chick?
    renee .jpg

Look no tattoos, no Birkenstocks and she knows I HATE the smell of patchouli

But I do have a hot tattooed lib chick friend

IMG_0335.jpg

They both voted strait Dem ticket by mail last month.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Voted early on Sat at the local university. ( traveling today). Mostly middle aged to old suburban white folks. No lines no waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Haven't voted in person in years, what with Washington going to all mail-in ballots. I used to go to the local elementary school, where my brothers and I went to grade school, see the same older women poll workers as the last election, and sign in and vote. I could tell which neighbors had already been there. Miss it a bit, but mail-in voting is far superior.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Thanks Joe. I couldn’t post anything my google search turned up.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I voted two weeks ago in a small town near here. Parked, walked straight up to a table and filled out a form. I then had to wait about one minute for an open table where someone looked at my ID and handed me a card for the machine. Might have taken about 15 minutes total. Most of that was reading the ballot initiatives and deciding if I wanted to give tree and chicken farmers a tax break on their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Thanks Joe. I couldn’t post anything my google search turned up.
    A new spin on Dorothy Parker's comment "If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit near me."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Walked into the local grammar school auditorium to cast my vote on my way to work.

I like to vote in person as I see friends and neighbors, frankly.

Was a pretty busy place at 7:15 this morning. While I walked right in, noted my name and street address and was handed a ballot, I had to wait a minute for a voting booth. There had already been 66 ballots cast ahead of me. Hand marked paper ballots with optical scanners. Good, reliable way to vote with hard-copy back-up.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

All new voting machines here as well. Printed at the booth then scanned into a box. No hanging chads.

Optical here as well. I never got around to mailing mine, so I stopped off & voted on my way back from getting snow tires on. I already had my ballot filled out, so it took over 5 minutes, but that included a couple-3 minutes of chatting.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Voted 9AM today. Strong turnout, but surprisingly few campaign posters our front.

And believe me I did not want to see ANY skin. At 67, I was one of the young ones!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I was an election judge today. We were steadily busy from 0700-1330 when my shift was over. By then 20% of all registered voters in our precinct had voted; the big surge is usually between when most workdays end and the polls end at 2000. Not sure what was driving the turnout but there's a school referendum and a hot school board election on as well as a hotly tested gubernational election, too.

I used to vote in the basement of a little church I can see from my back window. I don't recall ever waiting, but I live in a rural county and and even more rural township (I think that's how our precincts' fall) Retired Lady volunteers mostly, Hi Mister VanFleet, show me your ID, here's your ballot.

I voted absentee last cycle and stuck with it this cycle. It take's more time this way, filling out the ballot, checking twice to make sure you followed the instructions explicitly. It's way more convenient though, I don't have to remember and rush off from work when I get a chance.

Vern

ID? What for?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    ID? What for?
    Been that way as long as I remember, I have no issue whatsoever with the requirement.
    I use a Drivers License, but I think there are many acceptable form of ID.

Even on the mail in ballot you have to provide something. If I recall correctly, it was the last four of my SS number.

Vern

The face of courage.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

"Waiting in line"?

Never done that, here. For all elections we vote in a local primary school, which covers ~8 local streets, maybe a 1000 voters. Given typical turnouts, polling stations open all day & evening, and many using mail-in ballots, there's never a queue. When I've been a Polling Agent (hanging around, showing the flag, texting in turn-out figures during the day, and inevitably getting rained on) a 'rush' might be a voter-per-minute.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

My precinct was empty when I went to vote early yesterday morning.

We were moved from the competitive Virginia 7th District into the gerrymandered 4th in the last redistricting. Don McEachin won re-election, he is a good man and I am proud to have him represent me.

In a bit of a surprise Abigail Spanburger won re-election in the 7th despite Republican attempts to write her out by there gerrymandering. Love Spanberger! She votes on issue not party politics. This does draw fire from both sides and makes her very dangerous to the status quo!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

By mail, early. Nebraska (the bastids) voted mostly red; passed a voter ID amendment (with no details of how that will be implemented); POS Pillen (rickets boy) won, refused to debate anyone. Lots of sabre-rattling, protect the border, pro-life talk. Suspect the boy took too many hits as a footballer, can't form a coherent sentence. But - he's red.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    By mail, early. Nebraska (the bastids) voted mostly red; passed a voter ID amendment (with no details of how that will be implemented); POS Pillen (rickets boy) won, refused to debate anyone. Lots of sabre-rattling, protect the border, pro-life talk. Suspect the boy took too many hits as a footballer, can't form a coherent sentence. But - he's red.
    They transplanted Georgia to Nebraska?
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Been that way as long as I remember, I have no issue whatsoever with the requirement.
    I use a Drivers License, but I think there are many acceptable form of ID.

Even on the mail in ballot you have to provide something. If I recall correctly, it was the last four of my SS number.

Vern
    Still think that whole idea is a solution looking for a problem.
    -William A. Ward