Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for this week.

Default Predictions for this week.

Tomorrow the republicans take the house. The Jan 6th commission is shut down, and the impeachment of Joe Biden begins. TFG announces his 2024 running mate.

Depressing days are about to begin.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Predictions for this week.

Saw this today, from HuffPo

When Trump Announces Candidacy, Watchdog Will File Insurrection Disqualification Challenge

—Mary Papenfuss

When Donald Trump announces he’s running for the presidency, as he’s expected to do, a watchdog group plans to file a challenge under the 14th Amendment, which bars reelection of officials who engaged in or supported an insurrection.

“The evidence that Trump engaged in insurrection is overwhelming,” Noah Bookbinder, president of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said in a statement last week. “We are ready, willing and able to take action to make sure the Constitution is upheld and Trump is prevented from holding office.”

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, passed after the Civil War, bars any officials who have taken an oath of office to defend the government from reelection if they “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the government—or have “given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

CREW sent a letter to Trump on Thursday alerting him to the planned challenge if he announces his candidacy for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.

“CREW believes you are barred from holding office Under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment because you engaged in insurrection against the government you swore to defend,” states the letter. “By summoning a violent mob to disrupt the transition of presidential power mandated by the Constitution after having sworn to defend the same, you made yourself ineligible to hold public office again.”

The “evidence that you engaged in insurrection as contemplated in the Fourteenth Amendment—including by mobilizing, inciting and aiding those attacking the Capitol—is overwhelming,” the letter adds.

“If you seek elected or appointed office despite being constitutionally disqualified ... we and others loyal to the Constitution will defend it,” the message warns.

Trump has not responded.

Though a similar action by a group of voters failed earlier this year to block Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-Ga.) run for reelection, a challenge by CREW and other organizations succeeded against an official in New Mexico in September.

A judge in that state ruled in response to a lawsuit by CREW and others that Otero County Commissioner Couy Griffin be removed from office, noting the attack on the U.S. Capitol was an insurrection and that Griffin’s participation in it disqualified him under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

The decision marked the first time since 1869 that a court has disqualified a public official under the amendment — and the first time any court has branded the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol an insurrection, CREW noted.
    If there's any real justice in the world, he'll be in jail or dead by then anyway. Which leaves us contending with DeSantis, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Tomorrow the republicans take the house. The Jan 6th commission is shut down, and the impeachment of Joe Biden begins. TFG announces his 2024 running mate.

The scumbags stop aid to Ukraine.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

need more doom to go with the gloom joe.

The January 6 committee ends with this congress whether the magats the house or not. The important investigation as far as criminal prosecution, is the DOJ investigation which will continue regardless. At least until indictment or the possibility of the magats taking the 2024 election. Oh, for what it’s worth, a lot of libruls know how to shoot, if need be.

We have a Trump backed racist Republican running in my Congressional district. One of his preelection promises is to impeach Biden (and he touts the usual Trump election fraud claims too). Unfortunately, it looks like he may win. The Democratic challenger has many attributes that could help her in this district, but she's received negligible help from the national Democratic organization. As one news report put it:

"The national Democratic party’s absence has left Gluesenkamp Perez to simultaneously parent her infant child, run a small auto shop with her husband and try to blunt the advance of Kent, who Democrats in Washington and around the nation are calling “too extreme” and a threat to democracy."

Why is my party of choice so goddamn stupid?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

All correct except I think Trump takes a day or two so he can own all the spotlight.

And, lawsuits by MAGAts in every battleground Senate state, seeking to confuse, delay, and lay the groundwork for a 2024 MAGat attempted steal.

I would guess that there is not a Republican anywhere who would rather see Kamala Harris in the White House than Biden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCarthy said today that when he is speaker he will begin investigations of Biden and his cabinet with an eye toward impeachment.

That means that the president scratching his nose just became an impeachable offense.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    McCarthy said today that when he is speaker he will begin investigations of Biden and his cabinet with an eye toward impeachment.

That means that the president scratching his nose just became an impeachable offense.

It would end up just like the Dems in the House impeaching Trump. They know the votes aren’t there in the Senate to throw him out. Just nasty politics as usual.

My fervent wish: Garland indicts Trump on Wednesday morning, to head off any false claims that being a candidate forestalls any legal actions.

Probably won’t happen… but a guy can dream, can’t he?
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

It would end up just like the Dems in the House impeaching Trump. They know the votes aren’t there in the Senate to throw him out. Just nasty politics as usual.
    Throwing the both-sides-isms around. Even if the Rs get a majority and bring impeachment proceedings against Biden, and even though the result would be essentially the same, meaning no conviction and no removal from office, the two things are completely different. The one thing that would be consistent, though, would be the craven corruption of the Rs involved in both instances. So there's that. The point being that they covered for trmp who was guilty as hell, as they actually admitted though they wouldn't vote that way, and Biden hasn't done anything even remotely impeachable, no matter how much the Rs hate him.

Dems hold the House and pick up a couple of Senate seats. Trumpers flip out and become violent. Yee-Haw-Howdy … it will be a long, angry winter.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

And once the ballot counting is over, Merrick Garland shows us he has some stones after all, and has been quietly putting together everything to put youknowho in the slammer for his coup attempt, and a dozen other travesties. And then the shooting in the streets.

huskies upset the ducks
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    huskies upset the ducks
    I'm a Husky 1971 - worked for UW Dept of Oceanography for 8 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    My fervent wish: Garland indicts Trump on Wednesday morning, to head off any false claims that being a candidate forestalls any legal actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan
    And once the ballot counting is over, Merrick Garland shows us he has some stones after all, and has been quietly putting together everything to put youknowho in the slammer for his coup attempt, and a dozen other travesties.
    I believe the DOJ has been waiting for the conclusion of the mid-term election to move on Trump and his fellow traitors. After November 8 I expect things to get very interesting very quickly.

I also think the Republicans will take control of the House of Representatives while the Democrats gain at least one seat in the U.S. Senate. That spells stalemate in the Legislative Branch while the Executive Branch remains in Democratic control. Vetoes will be upheld. And the Judicial Branch has shown to date that they will uphold existing law.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 11-07-2022 at 07:40 PM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    need more doom to go with the gloom joe.
    OK...Repubs take over the house and senate. Support for Ukraine is summarily cut off and Putin seizes a perceived advantage and redoubles (OK...continues) his press on Ukraine but decides to advance into NATO territories. Europe is led into a complete war effort and, being a NATO member the US is drawn in briefly before the Repub house reneges on the NATO treaty leaving Europe stranded. Since the US is showing weak cards, China invades Taiwan and NK bombs Japan because they feel that they can. Putin realized he can't hold off all of Europe and cracks out his nukes and is retaliated on by all of the European powers. China succeeds with Taiwan and decides that now is the time to support Putin who will end up an Asian puppet and the whole world is drawn into nuclear holocaust. Seven guys playing poker in the Sanae Research Station in Antarctica end up being the only survivors but they ultimately freeze to death waiting for supplies that never come and they never know why. Astronauts on the ISS watch the whole thing in horror knowing they'll never be able to leave, but a planet killer asteroid takes out the station on its way to earth leaving nothing but another asteroid belt and a big sign saying "Solar System Being Cleared for Interstellar Highway...So Long And Thanks For All The Fish".
    Yeah...it's been that kinda week.

In a constant search for attention, Joe and P-Less will post several times each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    In a constant search for attention, Joe and P-Less will post several times each day.
    Joe (SoCal)

Total Posts 41,666
    Posts Per Day 5.51
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    huskies upset the ducks
    small potatoes..If Oregon stays Blue that would more take any sting away..

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

Yes, he posts a lot. So what. Just don't read the threads he starts. I don't agree with Joe much, but my only complaint is that he quickly moves to name calling pretty fast instead of staying on the issue. When he does it, just stop replying or put him on ignore. Free speech man.

not for impeaching biden, but whatever the process is to remove for health reasons. i don't think he has the mental capacity to hold that office.

not for impeaching biden, but whatever the process is to remove for health reasons. i don't think he has the mental capacity to hold that office.
    25th Amendment.

And no, if nobody could bring themselves to remove Trump via the 25th, or even to delegate his Presidential authority to Pence when (as we now know) he was fighting for his life with COVID, then stripping Biden of his office because he's old is ridiculous.

Biden's clearly not sliding into dementia (as Reagan was). I was involved once developing legislation for "substitute decision makers" for people who lost competence to make decisions about their medical care, legal affairs etc. I'm not a clinical expert, but the clinical experts I worked with would absolutely consider Biden to be fully mentally competent, fully capable to make decisions, and that stripping him of such rights would be wholly unjust.

Feinstein's 88, and has lost capacity. Grassley's also 88. Shelby's 87, Inhofe is 86. Leahy is 81. The Congressional Research Service says that 23 Senators are in their 70s, actually, and only one is younger than 40.

If you want to suggest term limits, mandatory retirement ages, I'm all ears. Barring that, the way to remove Biden from office is the same way folks are hoping today to remove Grassley from office. At the polls.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    25th Amendment.

And no, if nobody could bring themselves to remove Trump via the 25th, or even to delegate his Presidential authority to Pence when (as we now know) he was fighting for his life with COVID, then stripping Biden of his office because he's old is ridiculous.

Biden's clearly not sliding into dementia (as Reagan was). I was involved once developing legislation for "substitute decision makers" for people who lost competence to make decisions about their medical care, legal affairs etc. I'm not a clinical expert, but the clinical experts I worked with would absolutely consider Biden to be fully mentally competent, fully capable to make decisions, and that stripping him of such rights would be wholly unjust.

Feinstein's 88, and has lost capacity. Grassley's also 88. Shelby's 87, Inhofe is 86. Leahy is 81. The Congressional Research Service says that 23 Senators are in their 70s, actually, and only one is younger than 40.

If you want to suggest term limits, mandatory retirement ages, I'm all ears. Barring that, the way to remove Biden from office is the same way folks are hoping today to remove Grassley from office. At the polls.

i'm all in on term limits. and while there are plenty of people that are sharp at older ages, i would be fine at capping the age to 70 for ANY office.

I agree. Have long thought so.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

25th Amendment.

I agree that Regan's second term was scary due to his deterioration. However, I do think Biden is becoming senile and that the stress of being president is accelerating this.

I hope the GOP does not start an impeachment process when they take the house. It will only make the polarization worse.

I too agree with term limits. I have always felt that career politicians are more fixated on campaign donations and re-elections than they are with representing their constituents. However I would also change the congressional term of office to four years instead of two.

Biden's clearly not sliding into dementia (as Reagan was).

Dementia or not, every time he opens his mouth his handlers have to come in behind him to explain that he didn’t say what he said, and tell us what he really meant to say. Kamala Harris isn’t senile but she’s as bad or worse.

Biden's not showing signs of senility, however much some sources would like to make it seem so. For instance, here he is from 4 months ago, at a news conference at a NATO summit on the Ukraine/Russia war. He spoke for 9 minutes, and took (and handled easily) questions from an international cadre of journalists for the next 20 minutes. Without notes. The link to the news conference is unedited.

A senile man can't do that. One may disagree with his policy points, but it's simply not true to think that Biden's displaying dangerous deficits in his mental processing. Biden's stutter interferes with his ability to speak without a bit of a halt, and he shows the common (according to my Speech Pathologist daughter) strategy to switch to a more easily pronounced synonym when his stutter makes his initial word choice problematic. If anything, the command of the wider vocab necessary for this shows his continued mental acuity.

I agree that Biden's slower than he was once - he'd have been better suited to be POTUS ten years ago, or even 5. I'm slower than I was ten years ago too, and I'm only 60. But objectively, it's hyperbole to suggest that Biden's becoming senile.

so you'd rather kamala?

that was unexpected

Al and his 'party' have been casting aspersions at President Biden from the start, all the while ignoring trumps obvious decline into dementia, made worse by being an absolute horrible person.

Can't really blame them - what else do they have? No party platform, other than to block the Democrats, line their own pockets.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
    And things seem hard or tough,
    And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
    And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough,
    Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
    And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
    It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
    The sun that is the source of all our power.
    Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
    Are moving at a million miles a day,
    In the outer spiral arm, at 40, 000 miles an hour,
    Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.
    Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars;
    It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
    It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
    But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.
    We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
    We go 'round every two hundred million years;
    And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
    In this amazing and expanding universe.
    Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
    In all of the directions it can whiz;
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
    Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

yes, Monty Python...

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post

Can't really blame them - what else do they have?
    pro life moral high ground?

if that's their high ground - why they always running the bilge pumps? Hmmmm? Answer me that!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    And once the ballot counting is over, Merrick Garland shows us he has some stones after all, and has been quietly putting together everything to put youknowho in the slammer for his coup attempt, and a dozen other travesties. And then the shooting in the streets.
    Politically, I hope he brings charges before youknowho announces he is running.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx