Thread: A little gratitude

Default A little gratitude

I worked on various **** from sun up to sun down today. Painting, cutting steel, bolting stuff, moving stuff, digging holes, hauling stuff. Up and down the stairs. Up and down the ladder. etc, etc. Iím beat. Going to get up at sunrise, coffee up, and do it again tomorrow.

Iím really grateful I can still do all this. Not as strong, not as fast, hurts more, but still going.

Default Re: A little gratitude

word.

up​...
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Good to be that self-aware.

Having reached my 70's, loving my pizza & beer, being partial to baked goods, it is impossible to avoid the fact that 'I'm not as good as I once was...' physically.

I'm impressed with my own prescience, though. I explained to my sweetie when we decided to have kids, "No girl babies, only boys". And, luckily, my two boys still enjoy working in the shop with ol' dad. So I have access to muscle when I need it. And they're stout kids.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Girls can’t work in shops?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Turns out they can. Had an excellent female foreman once. But, even these days, they're less inclined to.

But I must confess... my request for 'no girlbabies' was rooted more in my early childhood experience with relatives. No sisters. Very few girl cousins, and one a true virago... even at an early age. Fact is, I was ignorant and scared.

The cool thing, though, is that bluedog appreciates what he has while he has it.
    Last edited by David G; 11-05-2022 at 10:17 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    When my younger sister was in college, she wanted to take a wood working class. This was in the sixties. The instructor noticed that she wasn't a boy, so he told her that there was a prerequisite for the class. She was expected to identify the species of a half dozen different wood pieces in the bin. Of course, she failed, and wasn't allowed to take the class.
    ďArenít you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?Ē
    ďThatís diplomats. Weíre not gentlemen.Ē
    ďSo you lie to save your hides.Ē
    Thatís politicians. Different game entirely.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    When my younger sister was in college, she wanted to take a wood working class. This was in the sixties. The instructor noticed that she wasn't a boy, so he told her that there was a prerequisite for the class. She was expected to identify the species of a half dozen different wood pieces in the bin. Of course, she failed, and wasn't allowed to take the class.
    DumBassery
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

It took me at least half my life to figure out that I actually prefer working with my hands, and that 'not living up to my potential' was someone else's problem. I grew up in a household where if you didn't become a doctor, lawyer, professor, or executive, you were a failure in life. I'm grateful that I have the ability to build stuff, and at 69, can still work all day (but don't have to).

gratitude sure beats grumpiness

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    loving my pizza & beer
    finally, common ground with david g
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Gratitude is an attitude and one of the more important attitudes I believe, as it helps us recognize and appreciate life. I find it more important with each passing year that I put a signboard up in my shop/garage to remind me on a daily basis, should I ever forget to appreciate all I have and all that I can do.

IMG_3194.jpg
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Fact is, I was ignorant and scared.

I also love pizza and beer, so there's that. But what I appreciate more is David's acknowledgment that we all are not quite so smart as we think we are when we're young. I know it took me a long time to realize my ability to make poorly thought out decisions.

75 is on my near horizon and I know I'm not the guy I was ten years ago. But I keep on truckin... just a little slower. And often having to reverse a bit in order to change to an easier path.

Jeff

Tom, I came back to this thread. When I first read it I had a list of whineyness and aches. Tried to fake the gratitude. Fed the pigs, played with babies then went for a short bike ride w grandaughter. Sitting w the smoker now. Yeah, this. I get to do this.

79 in a couple weeks and I feel like Gladstone Friggin Gander, luckiest guy on earth. Of course it could go south tomorrow, but so far, so good.

The best description of the reality of ageing I ever saw came from Woodenboat a long time ago;Herb Ellis was talking about his retirement job and said "I can still do a day's work-it just takes me all week to do it".