Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inflatable Kayaks, experience and opinions.

Nice!

Made here on Long Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Inflatable Kayaks, experience and opinions.

Skip, remember to dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature. The water will be much cooler than the air, probably in the mid-50s. Hypothermia is a real danger this time of year. Always wear your PFD. Your new watercraft have a much higher risk of capsize than your big fishing boat.

A couple of our friends in the Coastal Canoeists have the Aire inflatable kayaks and like them a lot. Neither of these folks paddle heavy whitewater; they are Class I-II paddlers. I encourage anyone paddling rivers in Virginia to join the Coastals. It is a group of great people. They run trips almost every weekend, and are very safety conscious. http://www.coastals.org

Richmond does indeed have great whitewater on the James, right in the middle of the city. Pony Pasture to Reedy Creek is Class I-II. Downstream from Reedy Creek is Class III-IV; you would probably be uncomfortable (and swimming) on that section. Check the American Whitewater website https://www.americanwhitewater.org
    /content/River/view/river-index
    and also the USGS river gauges https://dashboard.waterdata.usgs.gov...00&open=147077

Your hometown river also has its share of hazards. Two young women drowned over Memorial Day weekend after they were trapped in the backwash below Bosher's Dam, just above the Chippenham Parkway bridge. https://www.canoetripping.net/thread...idents.127541/ The dams at Williams Island are also dangerous low head dams. Below Reedy Creek, in the Class III-IV section, there are broken down dams at Belle Island and the Manchester bridge.

Be careful, stay safe, and have fun! See you on the river (SYOTR)!
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Skip, remember to dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature. The water will be much cooler than the air, probably in the mid-50s. Hypothermia is a real danger this time of year. Always wear your PFD. Your new watercraft have a much higher risk of capsize than your big fishing boat.

A couple of our friends in the Coastal Canoeists have the Aire inflatable kayaks and like them a lot. Neither of these folks paddle heavy whitewater; they are Class I-II paddlers. I encourage anyone paddling rivers in Virginia to join the Coastals. It is a group of great people. They run trips almost every weekend, and are very safety conscious. http://www.coastals.org

Richmond does indeed have great whitewater on the James, right in the middle of the city. Pony Pasture to Reedy Creek is Class I-II. Downstream from Reedy Creek is Class III-IV; you would probably be uncomfortable (and swimming) on that section. Check the American Whitewater website https://www.americanwhitewater.org
    /content/River/view/river-index
    and also the USGS river gauges https://dashboard.waterdata.usgs.gov...00&open=147077

Your hometown river also has its share of hazards. Two young women drowned over Memorial Day weekend after they were trapped in the backwash below Bosher's Dam, just above the Chippenham Parkway bridge. https://www.canoetripping.net/thread...idents.127541/ The dams at Williams Island are also dangerous low head dams. Below Reedy Creek, in the Class III-IV section, there are broken down dams at Belle Island and the Manchester bridge.

Be careful, stay safe, and have fun! See you on the river (SYOTR)!
    This is all sound advice!

You are very right about the hazards, I am excited to be expecting a large order of proper cool weather paddling gear (clothing and safety gear) from NRS. This does not mean I plan on jumping into tackling the whitewater downtown. Our paddling is mostly flat water or down river in the class 1, 2 range. We will build our skill and go with guides before we take on the big stuff.

I am a calculated risk kind of guy.

It looks like we are going paddling this afternoon on Swift Creek Lake in beautiful Pocahontas State Park. It's a like long quiet lake. And we shall be careful.

Coastal Canoeists sounds very interesting, I will be looking into it!

I hope we really do see you on the river. Maybe we could plan a trip for the upper James or Shenandoah some time next year!

Best regards.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    This is all sound advice!

.... I am excited to be expecting a large order of proper cool weather paddling gear (clothing and safety gear) from NRS. ....

It looks like we are going paddling this afternoon on Swift Creek Lake in beautiful Pocahontas State Park. It's a like long quiet lake. And we shall be careful.

Coastal Canoeists sounds very interesting, I will be looking into it!

I hope we really do see you on the river. Maybe we could plan a trip for the upper James or Shenandoah some time next year!

Best regards.
    Good thinkin' about the order from NRS, Skip. I haven't done any cold weather in a long time. A dry suit is not in the budget, and there are no "relaxed fit" wetsuits.

I have never been to Swift Creek Lake. It sounds really nice.

The Coastals usually have a couple trips each summer on the Seven Islands section of the James from Hardware River WMA to Bremo Bluff. Their traditional fall meeting trip is Newport to Luray on the S. Fork of the Shenandoah, and there is often a summer trip there as well.

KIT
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

A wetsuit is designed to keep you warm in the water. If you get wet and then get out and are exposed to a cold wind, it can chill you pretty fast.

Good idea to keep some insulating gear (hat, gloves, vest, windbreaker/parka) in a drybag.

I sort of hate drysuits, but they are effective in really cold conditions.

Super warm day for November. It was in the mid 70’s and the low angle of the sun made it damn near hot.

pulling dinner out of the oven now but I will try to give an honest review and trip update later.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Super easy to inflate (with the electric pump) it took maybe 20 minutes to get ready.....but a lot of that was helping Ken get the system down. He is devoid of engineering skills. His skills aren't mine and mine aren't his. I think we will cut that time in half on our next trip.

Deflating and packing up and loading the truck was super easy. 10 minutes Boom done!

They aren't race horses but it also wasn't to hard to make a decent pace. We had our seats too far forward. We did some adjustments when we got back to the ramp. And then Ken took a quick test paddle to confirm our new arrangements. I think I will be much better with the seats moved back slightly.

Ridiculously stable.. I think I could square-dance on it without it tipping over. It tracks pretty good with the skeg installed and spins on dime when you want to.

Overall Ken and I are both satisfied. No boat is perfect in every situation but I thing these boats are going to be very satisfactory for a wide variety of paddles, flat water to slightly spicy rapids.
    Skip

Skip

Well done

That sure is a healthy turtle population!
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

What variety of turtles are those? They don't look like snappers but my eyes are not that sharp anymore.

Eastern pained turtle. Chrysemys picta picta

https://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...ted_turtle.php

They are super common here. Live bait stealers when your fishing but harmless other than that.
    Skip