X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Too Little Time
    • Feb 2014

Re: Brext Benefits - Share the joy

Originally posted by heimfried
    But you schould preferably produce goods which only need materials, parts and tools you can grow in your own backyard.
    Originally posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt
    And which are capable of being sold to willing customers abroad.......
    I guess we could agree that with the proper decisions one would not be greatly affected by events like Brexit.
    Life is complex.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
      Old Grey Inquisitive One
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Too Little Time
      I guess we could agree that with the proper decisions one would not be greatly affected by events like Brexit.
      We are talking about politicians here.
      The politician that destroyed UK manufacturing was pro EU and resisted the idea of an exit referendum.
      She can be forgiven for not anticipating that her successors in her party would be moronic enough to run an exit referendum.
      It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
      The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Clan Gordon
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by AndyG
        "The UK leaving the EU has been cited as the main cause of huge losses in the food and drink export market. The FDF have released a snapshot report of January 2021 figures showing a 75.5% decrease of exports to the EU from £1.0bn to £256.4m."

Want more?

Andy
        According to the Food & Drink Federation’s own website, UK food and drink exports grew from £10.16bn in H1 2017, to £10.68bn in H1 2018, to £11.4bn in H1 2022 – so that industry at least seems to be holding its own.

The EU share went from £6.25bn (H1 2017) to £6.71bn (H1 2018) to £6.4bn (H1 2022) – something of a decline.

Interestingly, the non- EU share went from £3.90bn (H1 2017) to £3.96bn (H1 2018) to £5.0bn (H1 2022) – a rather substantial increase. I did not bother to look at what is going where.

The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) is the voice of the UK food and drink industry, the largest manufacturing sector in the country.

The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) is the voice of the UK food and drink industry, the largest manufacturing sector in the country.

Any figures comparing early 2021 with early 2020 would have been affected by the pandemic. This is what the FDF said about Q1 2021.................

The ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the change in trading relationship with the EU, led to a 28% fall in UK food and drink exports in Q1 2021 when compared to 2020, and a 36% fall when compared with pre-COVID Q1 2019 figures.

Exports to the EU fell by 47% compared to Q1 2020, whereas food and drink industry sales to non-EU countries were up by 0.3% in Q1 2021.
        For the first time in the FDF’s reporting, exports to non-EU markets exceeded those to the EU, making up 55% of all UK food and drink exports.
        Exports to the Republic of Ireland, traditionally the sector’s biggest export market, were down 71% at just £281m, compared to £961m in Q1 2020.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

This indicates what went where for the first 1/4: https://www.fdf.org.uk/globalassets/...ot-q1-2022.pdf

This for all of 2021: https://www.fdf.org.uk/globalassets/...rts-report.pdf

Comment

• Peerie Maa
            Old Grey Inquisitive One
            • Oct 2008

Second thoughts?
            The boss of retailer Next is urging the government to let more foreign workers into the UK to ease labour shortages.
            Lord Wolfson, who was a prominent advocate of Brexit, said the UK's current immigration policy was crippling economic growth.
            He said firms should pay a tax to employ foreign workers, to encourage them to recruit from the UK first.
            The government said it had delivered on its promise to "take back control of our immigration system".
            "Unemployment is at record lows and it's vital we continue to bring in excellent key workers the UK needs, including thousands of NHS doctors and nurses through the Health and Care Visa and the Seasonal Workers scheme which brings in the workforce our farmers and growers need," a government spokesperson said.

Free trade?

Lord Wolfson, a Conservative peer, told the BBC: "We have got people queuing up to come to this country to pick crops that are rotting in fields, to work in warehouses that otherwise wouldn't be operable, and we're not letting them in.
            "And we have to take a different approach to economically productive migration."
            He said that the government needed to decide whether the UK was an open free trading nation, or whether post-Brexit it wanted to be "fortress Britain", pulling up the drawbridge to foreign workers at significant cost to the economy.
            "I think in respect of immigration, it's definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit wanted," he said.
            "And we have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument, we have to remember that what post-Brexit Britain looks like, is not the preserve of those people that voted Brexit, it's for all of us to decide."
            He added that the majority of people in Britain have a "very pragmatic view" of immigration.
            "Yes, control it, where it's damaging to society, but let people in who can who can contribute," Lord Wolfson said.
            He suggested a market-based solution to fix current labour shortages, which have affected sectors including healthcare, hospitality and logistics.
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988

Comment

• dutchpp
              The Netherlands
              • Nov 2011

Lord Wolfson needs to be forked a little.

Comment

• Too Little Time
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Peerie Maa
                We are talking about politicians here.
                The politician that destroyed UK manufacturing was pro EU and resisted the idea of an exit referendum.
                She can be forgiven for not anticipating that her successors in her party would be moronic enough to run an exit referendum.
                I tend to ignore politicians and pay attention, in this case, businesses.

Businesses know how to handle political decisions. I expect some chose to bury their heads in the sand as it were. We have a lot of businesses in the US that follow that path.
                Life is complex.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                  Old Grey Inquisitive One
                  • Oct 2008

I tend to ignore politicians and pay attention, in this case, businesses.
                  I expect some chose to bury their heads in the sand as it were. We have a lot of businesses in the US that follow that path.
                  Not really in this case.
                  The politician in question hated our traditional manufacturing industries, steel, automotive, shipbuilding and coal. She dubbed them "Sunset Industries" and where they were nationalised ran them down or closed them.
                  She hoped to replace them with "Sunrise industries", by encouraging, but not investing in startups that she hoped could compete with the established Silicon Valley.
                  She really was not the sharpest knife in the box.
                  Meanwhile, the oil revenue promoted growth in our finance industries based in The City, which kept the economy humming, until Brexit caused the finance houses to move their main operations into other EU countries.

Comment

• Too Little Time
                    • Feb 2014

Not really in this case.
                    The politician in question hated our traditional manufacturing industries, steel, automotive, shipbuilding and coal. She dubbed them "Sunset Industries" and where they were nationalised ran them down or closed them.
                    She hoped to replace them with "Sunrise industries", by encouraging, but not investing in startups that she hoped could compete with the established Silicon Valley.
                    She really was not the sharpest knife in the box.
                    Meanwhile, the oil revenue promoted growth in our finance industries based in The City, which kept the economy humming, until Brexit caused the finance houses to move their main operations into other EU countries.
                    I would suggest that the businesses that are having problems were not the sharpest knives in the box. But I don't live in England.
                    Life is complex.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                      Old Grey Inquisitive One
                      • Oct 2008

But I don't live in England.
                      No you do not, nor do you understand how much power a government has to support, or hamper a business.

Comment

• birlinn
                        Isle of Mull, Scotland
                        • Jul 2011

But I don't live in England.
                        Neither do I but we are still suffering from the effects of Brexit.
                        63% of the Scots voted Remain.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                          obnoxiously persistent.
                          • Jan 2005

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Too Little Time
                            • Feb 2014

No you do not, nor do you understand how much power a government has to support, or hamper a business.
                            That is just it. I do know. That is why I made the business/work choices I have made for the last 30 years. It took a while to understand.
                            Life is complex.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                              Old Grey Inquisitive One
                              • Oct 2008

That is just it. I do know. That is why I made the business/work choices I have made for the last 30 years. It took a while to understand.
                              So why are you putting the blame on the businesses?

Comment

• birlinn
                                Isle of Mull, Scotland
                                • Jul 2011

The benefits keep on coming....

Paris is now Europe's biggest stock market, overtaking London for the first time since records began in 2003.

Comment

Working...