Thread: Need a table saw miter gauge recommendation

Default Need a table saw miter gauge recommendation

My miter gauge for my Grizzly G1023RLX table saw evidently got lost in the wash during our move. As I unpack stuff into my done-next-week shop, I can't find the bloody thing anywhere.

Anyway, Grizzly has one for $80, plus shipping.

Any other ideas? Amazon has several, and of course we all like the free shipping with Prime.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Default Re: Need a table saw miter gauge recommendation

I like the look of these, and have been thinking about getting one. There are several brands of this type available.

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Don’t have any advice, but we often save the Grizzly shipping charges by driving to the Grizzly store in Bellingham. That only costs us gas, a $100 lunch, and often a $300 piece of art from a gallery on Chuckanut Drive. But we save $15 on shipping. One of these days it’s going to cost a lot more than that because the Porsche dealer is across the street from Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I like the look of these, and have been thinking about getting one. There are several brands of this type available.

I got to use the one from Incra and it's pretty sweet. I like the long fence and the fact that you can slide it side-to-side to use either slot on your table top. Unfortunately I don't have a spare arm and leg to buy one with....

There are a lot of choices.

Don't know what sort of woodworking you do, but unless it's the most rudimentary... I'd not bother with the Grizzly option. If you want to do precision work, get a good one - you'll soon have one of those 'why didn't I do this earlier' moments.

Reviews --

https://www.woodmagazine.com/tool-re...uges-and-sleds

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2021...ii-miter-gauge
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

#3: LOL. When I lived in Everett, I drove up for their tent sale two years in a row, which is how I got my table saw and 17" band saw on s-w-e-e-t deals.

#5: David, thanks for those links, will check them out.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I have two. One is locked down tight permanently and accurately at 90 degrees. The other for angle cuts.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    I have two. One is locked down tight permanently and accurately at 90 degrees. The other for angle cuts.
    The type of work you do - it makes more sense to have a dedicated 90 degree miter gauge than a sled of some sort? Before I had a vertical panel saw, I used to use a sled a ton for panel product.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Looks like a nice one. This thread got me wondering why I almost never use one. I guess I use sleds for 90s, and my cutoff saw for angles.

^ Use my sled for 90s, and miter gauge or custom 45 degree jig for when I need miters for my honey's picture frames. For my boxes' mitered corners I use my sled.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Speaking of your boxes, are any of your bird legs boxes available for sale? The gallery in Langley said you escaped with them all.

^ Yes, they in fact sold out of them just before we left for ABQ. Since I am no longer a resident there, and since Rob Schouten's gallery specializes in Whidbey artists, I am no longer eligible to show there, alas. I do hope to find gallery representation down here.

PM me if you want my website address. I do have some boxes in stock, but none of the bird's leg boxes. I need to start making a series again once I have my shop up and running.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Gerard, as I recall, Taos had a huge artist presence some years back - I am not familiar with the your local art / gallery situation .

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

^ Indeed so. And Santa Fe is the third largest gallery scene in the country after NYC and LA.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Just a word of caution. I've never heard of that brand, and I do pay some attention to the scene. My fear is that it may be a Chinese knockoff, which tend to vary widely in their quality/accuracy. Plenty of well-known brands out there (see the reviews I posted above).
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Incra 1000 HD. solid detents every 1 degree. Adjustable in length and has an adjustable stop that can be tweaked to within a hairs breadth.