Thread: I can't catch a break

Default I can't catch a break

Forgive me if I've already brought this up. I checked. I write every day, on the same notepad on the computater that I use to write my Bilge posts before I submit them. So I know I've written about it but I'm not certain I haven't posted it. Anyway...

A couple of years ago, I read somewhere that, after a forty year hiatus on research of the use of psychedelics for psychiatric therapy, due to Nixon's drastically unfortunate war on drugs, asshole, the legitimate use of psychedelics in psychiatry is again legal. Synthetic versions of psylocybin and a mescaline are being produced in licensed labs and there is a growing trend of the use of psychedelics in doctor supervised settings for relieving alcohol abuse syndrome and for treating therapy-resistant depression, and in particular relieving the existential anxiety that some people experience with a diagnosis of a terminal illness.

So this popped back into my awareness more recently, and I'm thinking I could benefit from such therapy. I definitely feel like I'm on the rapidly declining downhill end of the life-curve. My COPD is progressing relentlessly, there's no cure, no surgical intervention, no chemo or radiation. I expect that as I am more and more restricted in the amount of physical activity my pulmonary system can support, I will be consigned to a chair, and left more or less totally dependent on my wife to accomplish all that needs to get done around here. I hate the thought of being a lumpish dependent burden and helpless to do anything about it. And that phase will end with me being essentially bed-ridden until I ultimately demise. And all of that weighs on me, and I'm feeling some depression over it. I've even had the fleeting thought of breaking my nearly seven year abstinence from booze. I won't do that, but just having the thought is a red flag for me.

So it occured to me to do some informal research, read up on the latest info regarding psychedelic therapy. I have no experience with anything like LSD or shrooms. My intuition back when I was a teenager in the late sixties was that I might be one of those few people who would wig permanently out and spend the rest of my life believing I'm a citrus fruit.

My wife has told me in the past that she did do LSD as a teenager, a couple of times. My next door neighbor and best friend of the last two decades, who is my age, was a power-user back in the day, told me he'd done at least a thousand acid trips.

The thing that got my attention in the latest reports I've read, was that, unlike more conventional psychiatric therapies, a continuing use of the substance and repeated sessions was not a requirement to get the benefit. Patients and their doctors report that a single session was enough to eliminate a desire for alcohol permanently. In the NOVA episode I watched, a guy who had been a binge drinker since age twelve, and had been through rehab a dozen times over the years, along with AA etc, had experienced an immediate and permanent cessation of the urge to have alcohol. Similar reports from patients are that a single session gave them a profound life-changing, spiritual experience and a persistent feeling of the interconnectedness of 'the universe.' Peace of mind in spades. An end to the the anxiety and fear of dying.

Then halfway through the NOVA episode a psychiatrist involved with the practice stated that it was not suitable for patients with certain mental disorders—schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Fck me. I'm going to do it anyway. My wife is in favor of the idea for me, and is willing to help find me a practicing therapist. I trust her sober judgement and she has some semi-formal experience counseling people with various issues. Of course the VA shrink would not be allowed to provide that treatment. Of course the feds would be officially aghast at the prospect.

I wouldn't dare to do it on my own, not without the supervised purposeful setting, and I wouldn't have a clue how to score shrooms or acid anyway. But I figure the benefit will outweigh the risks. Thinking about it, I've been a heavy user of pot in the recent past, and I'm sure a sober psychiatrist would say the same thing, that heavy pot use would be contraindicated for me, and that leads me to believe I can anticipate and probably weather the possible side effects.

And who knows, I might be a citrus fruit after all anyway.

Default Re: I can't catch a break

You are far more current with the research than I but even with bi-polar or schizophrenia there's no need for a bad trip if you've a small dose to start and a good guide. Perhaps in an unhurried way you might be able to follow some oxygen into your lungs and on. Could be really cool to watch.

G'luck

citrus ain't a bad option. I might hold out for a pomegranate though.

Seriously, cultures across the globe and the ages have used such things to prompt spiritual experiences since forever. My hunch is that approaching it with such an intent will be much more rewarding than similarly trying stuff out as if one was a tourist.

My best wishes. Let us know how it goes for you.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

"I think" well I'm pretty sure on that nova program one of the therapists was in SF...

Oregon legalized medicinal psilocybin for depression. Many localities. however, have ballot proposals banning clinics that dispense it. Lots of confusion but it may be a promising start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Forgive me if I've already brought this up. I checked. I write every day, on the same notepad on the computater that I use to write my Bilge posts before I submit them. So I know I've written about it but I'm not certain I haven't posted it. Anyway...

A couple of years ago, I read somewhere that, after a forty year hiatus on research of the use of psychedelics for psychiatric therapy, due to Nixon's drastically unfortunate war on drugs, asshole, the legitimate use of psychedelics in psychiatry is again legal. Synthetic versions of psylocybin and a mescaline are being produced in licensed labs and there is a growing trend of the use of psychedelics in doctor supervised settings for relieving alcohol abuse syndrome and for treating therapy-resistant depression, and in particular relieving the existential anxiety that some people experience with a diagnosis of a terminal illness.

So this popped back into my awareness more recently, and I'm thinking I could benefit from such therapy. I definitely feel like I'm on the rapidly declining downhill end of the life-curve. My COPD is progressing relentlessly, there's no cure, no surgical intervention, no chemo or radiation. I expect that as I am more and more restricted in the amount of physical activity my pulmonary system can support, I will be consigned to a chair, and left more or less totally dependent on my wife to accomplish all that needs to get done around here. I hate the thought of being a lumpish dependent burden and helpless to do anything about it. And that phase will end with me being essentially bed-ridden until I ultimately demise. And all of that weighs on me, and I'm feeling some depression over it. I've even had the fleeting thought of breaking my nearly seven year abstinence from booze. I won't do that, but just having the thought is a red flag for me.

So it occured to me to do some informal research, read up on the latest info regarding psychedelic therapy. I have no experience with anything like LSD or shrooms. My intuition back when I was a teenager in the late sixties was that I might be one of those few people who would wig permanently out and spend the rest of my life believing I'm a citrus fruit.

My wife has told me in the past that she did do LSD as a teenager, a couple of times. My next door neighbor and best friend of the last two decades, who is my age, was a power-user back in the day, told me he'd done at least a thousand acid trips.

The thing that got my attention in the latest reports I've read, was that, unlike more conventional psychiatric therapies, a continuing use of the substance and repeated sessions was not a requirement to get the benefit. Patients and their doctors report that a single session was enough to eliminate a desire for alcohol permanently. In the NOVA episode I watched, a guy who had been a binge drinker since age twelve, and had been through rehab a dozen times over the years, along with AA etc, had experienced an immediate and permanent cessation of the urge to have alcohol. Similar reports from patients are that a single session gave them a profound life-changing, spiritual experience and a persistent feeling of the interconnectedness of 'the universe.' Peace of mind in spades. An end to the the anxiety and fear of dying.

Then halfway through the NOVA episode a psychiatrist involved with the practice stated that it was not suitable for patients with certain mental disorders—schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Fck me. I'm going to do it anyway. My wife is in favor of the idea for me, and is willing to help find me a practicing therapist. I trust her sober judgement and she has some semi-formal experience counseling people with various issues. Of course the VA shrink would not be allowed to provide that treatment. Of course the feds would be officially aghast at the prospect.

I wouldn't dare to do it on my own, not without the supervised purposeful setting, and I wouldn't have a clue how to score shrooms or acid anyway. But I figure the benefit will outweigh the risks. Thinking about it, I've been a heavy user of pot in the recent past, and I'm sure a sober psychiatrist would say the same thing, that heavy pot use would be contraindicated for me, and that leads me to believe I can anticipate and probably weather the possible side effects.

And who knows, I might be a citrus fruit after all anyway.
    Something that was in the news yesterday : https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/02/healt...ess/index.html
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Shrooms have the wonderful, almost motherly quality of guidance. They will take you as far as you need to go as long as you are respectful and can trust the process, of which you are.
    The dosage is measured in dry grams. .01-.03 grams a micro dose and 5 grams being considered a “heroic dose”.
    You can have a micro does every other day for a general mood lift, anxiety relief. You wont “trip” on a micro dose. Just a general sense of well being. Saying that, there is no cure for our mortality than to face it… Shudder. But i do believe it would help. Along with prayer, (whatever that means for you)
    A heroic dose on the other hand…
    It depends what you’re looking for? Although I haven’t had a large dose in 30 years and only ever one, i would prefer to be at home, alone in a small room in the dark, with someone i could trust in another room. If things get edgie get them to play some guiding music, it will bring you back.
    For your anxiety though micro dosing may be all you need.
    I would ask your mate with the 1000 trips under his belt, i would say he could source some.
    This came up in my YouTube suggestion this morning, maybe it is for you? https://youtu.be/tvuhCwy3YBM
    All the best.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Oregon legalized medicinal psilocybin for depression. Many localities. however, have ballot proposals banning clinics that dispense it. Lots of confusion but it may be a promising start.
    Republicans who are running for different offices here are going crazy about that program and promise to do everything in their power, if elected, to stop it.
    Typical. O, and Mr.Mahan...you should know that in the late 60's no one I knew even thought about the size of the dose...so, as expected there were some...major overdoses and some citrus was created. All and all, it was an uplifting time.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...e_smokers_quit
    I know I posted this before, but one of the big thing that it suggests is that there is a permanent change that happens in the brain.

I have heard (ahem) that being in nature with friends is best for the optimal schroom experience.

That depends, if "Nature" is the gulf of Alaska in January and your friends turn out to be drunks/junkies then I would argue that.
    Some things are just better in California.

Why not. There’s a lust of **** I’m saving up to do when I’m old….er.

edit-“list”. 😂

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

One thing that I learned back in my college days when we would pick mushrooms out of cow pastures was that you never knew just what dose you would get from one of them. Some were much stronger than others. I had one grad student friend that would eat them straight out of the cow paddies. I would at least rinse them off first.

When I visited Bali in the 1970's you would get hallucinogenic mushrooms as filling in your mushroom jaffle snack (kind of a toasted sandwich).
    My friends were wanting to try them but I was cautious, so declined. They bought one and shared it between the two of them. After a while they didn't feel much, so ordered another and split that one between them. Time goes by and they say the effect was pretty mild so I order a third one. Little did I know that the woman selling them had put more in the second one because my mates had said the effect was slight. When I ordered the third one I got even more mushies put in mine.

An hour later things were coming pretty full on. If you have ever seen those Balinese paintings of dragons etc. you now know where all the bright multi colours come from. That took care of the rest of the day and pretty much all of the night. I remember having spaced out conversations about the nature of cockfighting with my mate somewhere over there on the other side of the shared bedroom in the guesthouse, and watching lizards run around on the bamboo woven ceiling.

Apart from feeling tired there were no ill effects.

I found it surprising that Indonesia with its strong anti drug laws allowed such things to be sold quite openly.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.