Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Drones Flying Over Private Property - Can You Stop Them?

Default Drones Flying Over Private Property - Can You Stop Them?

The quick answer is NO !

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Drones Flying Over Private Property - Can You Stop Them?

nnod westervelt can and will stop them
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I wonder if those laser white flash lights can damage cameras?

Try me

Can you shoot them for skeet practice?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

good video.

the faa rules designating drones as "aircraft" and granting them "navigable airspace" rights is kind of like saying "corporations are people, too".

anyway, the vid is all about what's legal. not about what is socially acceptable.

you have the legal right to rip a fart in the middle of a crowded restaurant. who cares what's legal, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Try me
    What you are not getting is the FAA ( A FEDERAL AGENCY ) has designated drones as "aircraft"
    Try shooting down any aircraft and see what federal prison time you get.

I'm not militant on the subject of drones, but I once had one drop down into my property (a courtyard surrounded by buildings) at eye height and nearly run its forward rotors into my face. I grabbed for it but the operator got it out of there too quickly. If I had gotten my hands on it (and it was a nice DJI model) I would have turned it into unrecognizable scrap. While the operator couldn't have known I was there in advance, it was, IMO, totally reckless behavior. He or she should have done some higher altitude recon before dropping it down behind a building.

one of our ailments as a society is the growing emphasis on legal technicality.

we can't really survive with everyone doing everything they are not prohibited from by law, or law enforcement. and at a certain nearby point, legal technicality and lack of enforcement are indistiguishable.

as the donald put it, "that means i'm smart".

do you want a ****hole country? because that's how you get a ****hole country.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    I'm not militant on the subject of drones, but I once had one drop down into my property (a courtyard surrounded by buildings) at eye height and nearly run its forward rotors into my face. I grabbed for it but the operator got it out of there too quickly. If I had gotten my hands on it (and it was a nice DJI model) I would have turned it into unrecognizable scrap. While the operator couldn't have known I was there in advance, it was, IMO, totally reckless behavior. He or she should have done some higher altitude recon before dropping it down behind a building.
    Reckless drone pilot and he could be also prosecuted and seriously fined as he should be.
    This drone pilot obviously does not posses an FAA part 107 drone license and have the FAA license number printed on his drone like I do.

In order to fly your drone under the FAA 's Small UAS Rule (Part 107), you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA . This certificate demonstrates that you understand the regulations, operating requirements, and procedures for safely flying drones.

I have a Part 107 Certificate and I fly not only within the law but also with consideration to all those around me. I would never fly near or at such a low altitude around people. You must take off and land in approved locations and not private property. So if that drone touched the ground or an object in your yard you are by all means allowed to confiscate it.

Additionally I think I would be safe from drone assassins since I primarily fly in remote nature or at a high enough altitude to not even be noticed. Also I have no desire to spy or creep my neighbors out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Reckless drone pilot and he could be also prosecuted and seriously fined as he should be.
    This drone pilot obviously does not posses an FAA part 107 drone license and have the FAA license number printed on his drone like I do.

In order to fly your drone under the FAA 's Small UAS Rule (Part 107), you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA . This certificate demonstrates that you understand the regulations, operating requirements, and procedures for safely flying drones.

I have a Part 107 Certificate and I fly not only within the law but also with consideration to all those around me. I would never fly near or at such a low altitude around people. You must take off and land in approved locations and not private property. So if that drone touched the ground or an object in your yard you are by all means allowed to confiscate it.

Additionally I think I would be safe from drone assassins since I primarily fly in remote nature or at a high enough altitude to not even be noticed. Also I have no desire to spy or creep my neighbors out.
    The only object in the yard it almost touched was me, and I would have treated that as assault. I should mention that this happened several years ago when the first generation of GPS guided, stabilized DJI drones were all the rage and the rules were less established. At that point I'm not sure that a Part 107 drone certificate even existed.

The death of drones will be simple boredom. I have a couple of friends with drones, and after a few hours of “Gee whiz”, the drones were pretty much forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The death of drones will be simple boredom. I have a couple of friends with drones, and after a few hours of “Gee whiz”, the drones were pretty much forgotten about.
    Yes and no, when used as a small tool to aid in telling a story they can be remarkably effective. Although I'm totally guilty of no story just drone filming . I'm amazed at story tellers like Casey Neistat and other YouTubers who use small snippets of drone footage to add just a little context to the story. As someone who slaps editing together in minutes and throws it up on YouTube. I see these almost invisible drone shots that you know took hours to launch, shoot, edit and splice into the story. It's an amazing amount of work.

If they are aircraft, ought not the operator need a pilot's license?
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

A Part 107 certifcate is only required to fly a drone for commercial purposes. Flying a drone into a courtyard surrounded by buildings would most likely be illegal due to the operator not maintaining visual contact with the drone. It's not legal with or without a part 107 certificate to fly a drone where you can't see it.

Shooting at a drone would definitely be illegal. And unless it was very close the chance of actually hitting it would be slim.

As with anything else, it's possible to do things with a drone that are legal but not socially acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikhaut View Post
    A Part 107 certifcate is only required to fly a drone for commercial purposes. Flying a drone into a courtyard surrounded by buildings would most likely be illegal due to the operator not maintaining visual contact with the drone. It's not legal with or without a part 107 certificate to fly a drone where you can't see it.

Shooting at a drone would definitely be illegal. And unless it was very close the chance of actually hitting it would be slim.

As with anything else, it's possible to do things with a drone that are legal but not socially acceptable.
    I got my 107 because I wanted to fly responsibly and just know more about this hobby. Also if you post your videos to YouTube like I do the FAA can and will look at YouTube videos to see reckless pilots and track them down and fine them $$$$$ Also if I ever wanted to monetize my YouTube channel or use my drone for profit, I can now.

What you are not getting is the FAA ( A FEDERAL AGENCY ) has designated drones as "aircraft"
    If I'm not mistaken, the minimum altitude for aircraft over populated areas is 1,000' ?

Quote Originally Posted by HRDavies View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the minimum altitude for aircraft over populated areas is 1,000' ?
    According to FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

A slingshot two ball sinkers and a short length of fishing line
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

According to FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).
    Interesting ... however, if they are going to protect the little nuisances as aircraft, then it seems to me that they should regulate them out of people's back yards as well. We have ordinances against peeping toms, yes ?

Back when I flew balloons commercially the rule was that you were supposed to be 1,000' above any person, vessel, vehicle or structure within a 2000' horizontal radius --- except when you were on approach for landing, or in the process of climbing out. Flying advertising, we spent a lot of time "on approach". We were nearly always in radio contact with the local control towers though and for the most part they were just happy that we were low enough to not be in the way of the real aircraft they were dealing with.

Since drones have a 400' max altitude restriction in the U.S. flying at 1,000' would be a no-no. I've had mine up to 396' above our lake up north a couple of times and at that altitude I kind of have trouble seeing it and finding it if I look down at the screen and then back up in the air, so most of the time I'll only fly about half that high or less.

Brn.jpg

hobie-Brown-Lake.jpg

There are several groups of little old men who do this stuff. If you operate on ham radio frequencies without a license, or hack the cable TV signal, and now, fly a drone in violation of the regs, the come to get you. It starts with a letter. Then you settle and write a big check. Because by the time they write the letter, they’ve got you. And you settle or they refer for prosecution and it gets more difficult and more expensive. And they take a particular joy in their jobs. Like the the parking enforcement people, but more self righteous. Snap a pic, and file a complaint.

I wonder if you can fly a drone over say Dick Cheney's private property?

Quote Originally Posted by HRDavies View Post
    Interesting ... however, if they are going to protect the little nuisances as aircraft, then it seems to me that they should regulate them out of people's back yards as well. We have ordinances against peeping toms, yes ?
    Let us all know when you become director of the FAA

Let us all know when you become director of the FAA
    He seems to know quite a bit about Peeping Tom ordinances...

Is there a duck hunting season at that location?

Remember that line from The Red Badge Of Courage? "We figured you was firing at crows".

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Remember that line from The Red Badge Of Courage? "We figured you was firing at crows".

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    He seems to know quite a bit about Peeping Tom ordinances...
    So what you're saying is that if I have an annoying drone flying over my property and I'm going out back with my air gun, I should drop my pants first? I like that. Good to know.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    So what you're saying is that if I have an annoying drone flying over my property and I'm going out back with my air gun, I should drop my pants first? I like that. Good to know.
    now thats funny

In truth no one really wants to fly over your property unless your property has some sort of natural wonder. Personally, peoples back yards are of no cinematic interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    now thats funny

In truth no one really wants to fly over your property unless your property has some sort of natural wonder. Personally, peoples back yards are of no cinematic interest to me.
    Yes! Hence, dropping my pants...

I threw that softball hoping you would get it and hit it out the park like you did

I threw that softball hoping you would get it and hit it out the park like you did
    Now we will note who is the pitcher and who is the catcher

bull****

you may have no interest but there are countless episodes each day in america of drones flying over private property for a large variety of annoying yet legal reason
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.