Thread: restoring cedar strip skiff , need advice

Default restoring cedar strip skiff , need advice

I just picked up a 1964 Lakefield sailing skiff. 100% solid, would like to restore it to as close to original as possible. I have question about varnish. The boat is is a little mottled in color. Part side Darker than starboard (probably because of unequal sun exposure). the boat is somewhat light al things considered because stored 80% of it s life. I am new to this, Are the dark areas and the mottled spots dark in the varnish or in the wood? would removing he varnish (sand or strip) get me to the original wood and even color throughout? Or is the dark areas in the word itself?

Default Re: restoring cedar strip skiff , need advice

Welcome aboard!
    I suspect the dark part is in the wood. That would mean stripping, bleaching and refinishing. Posting pictures will help get informed opinions. If the boat is glued strips, be careful using chemical strippers that might soften the glue. Good luck, keep us posted.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

This does not appear to be a "stripper". It looks like a regular tight seamed boat.
    Anyway, First thing is to strip it, if you wish to refinish her bright. Problem will be hitting the fastening heads..screws/nails/rivets??
    You may find that the UN dark spots are bleached out , and the dark spots were spots that were scraped and revarnished....or not.

That's what I read from one photo.
    more photos please, inside, transom, planking material
    thangawd there is no rust
    Bruce
    maybe delete one of two almost duplicate posts ,as not to dilute content.

no rust
    It is a Lakeview cedar strip built in '64 stored inside for 80% or more of it's life. definitely the last 6 years, dirty. some Wear down to unvarnished wood on oak? gunwale and inside top of ribs. Transom. I think is oak,I am told seats are mahogany IMG_3034.jpg IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3040.jpg IMG_3043.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yikes she 's a beaut!