Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boats in Netherlands Post WW2 era

Default Boats in Netherlands Post WW2 era

I am borrowing a book from my Mom title, simply, "Nederlands". It is mainly a picture book of scenes around the Netherlands. Copyright date is 1957. There are several pictures of boats and ships which I thought might be of interest here. I'll be posting these occasionally, not all at once.

As background, my mom grew up in the outskirts of Grand Rapids, Michigan. This area was an epicenter of Dutch migration, leading to city names like Zeeland and Holland, and the local saying "If you ain't Dutch you ain't much". I assume this book was sold there due to the local interest in the homeland (and indeed, the inscription is in Dutch).

For each picture I'll post the caption and, if it makes sense, the Google translation of it.

Get ready, I hope you like leeboards! I'd love if anyone with expertise can provide more information on these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Boats in Netherlands Post WW2 era

The caption for this first picture is "Dit is Amsterdam: in alle getijden zijn schone zelf". Google translate is "This is Amsterdam: in all tides his fair self".

deleted
    Last edited by AJBTC; 10-28-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Photo 2. Large barges, but note the two small craft in the foreground, and oars still in use in the harbor. The caption is "Mond van de Maas". Google translate is "mouth of the mesh", which is not helpful. I believe "maas" is Dutch for the river Meuse, so this is the mouth of the Meuse river. I believe, then, this picture is around Rotterdam.
    Last edited by AJBTC; 10-28-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Photograph 3

Some sort of small pram or punt. The caption is "Drie man in een boot ... naar de koning (Hofvijver in Den Haag)"

You guessed it, that means "three men in a boat". The Hofvijver is the "Court pond", a small lake surrounded by government buildings. "naar de koning" means "to the king". I'm not sure why the king needed the ice broken up so badly!
    Last edited by AJBTC; 10-28-2022 at 09:41 AM.

A little google maps sleuthing for photo 3. "To the King" must refer not to the palace, but to the statue seen in the background. That is the Statue of King Willem II.

I'm not a Rotterdam expert but the picture in #4 could be the evening sun in the Maashaven in Rotterdam. It looks quite different now.

This is a fairly recent pic from the WSW looking to the ENE. The original picture is opposite
    maashaven.jpg

The rowing boat is probably an example of a typical "schippersboot" usually made in steel and rowed or sculled during the decade pictured.
    500.jpeg
    Last edited by dutchpp; 10-28-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks, DutchPP. That port sure has changed in 70 years. I would not want to navigate those tight quarters and large vessels in that small rowboat today!

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    I'm not a Rotterdam expert but the picture in #4 could be the evening sun in the Maashaven in Rotterdam. It looks quite different now.

This is a fairly recent pic from the WSW looking to the ENE. The original picture is opposite
    maashaven.jpg
    Maashaven was my first guess too, but I'm having doubts. I can't find any pictures of the maashaven with cranes on both sides. And these barges are a bit out of place there. The maashaven was where seagoing vessels docked, barges were supposed to go to the rijnhaven, visible just to the left on the picture. And the rijnhaven did have these cranes. So my guess would be rijnhaven.
    Maashaven and rijnhaven were, very conveniently, separated by the Katendrecht peninsula, Rotterdam's notorious red light district. Police were supposed to wait for a written invitation before going there.

Edit: and of course, one second after posting something like that, you will find pictures of maashaven packed with barges.
    But still, the lack of larger vessels tells me this is not the maashaven, I stick with rijnhaven.
    Last edited by AdB; 10-28-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBTC View Post
    The caption for this first picture is "Dit is Amsterdam: in alle getijden zijn schone zelf". Google translate is "This is Amsterdam: in all tides his fair self".

No information about the boats, I'm afraid. But I can tell that the church in the 'westerkerk' and the picture was taken on the corner of Prinsesgracht en Bloemengracht. Fun fact: according to Google maps, there are still bikes leaning against that railing.

The hofvijver now, the statue has a greenish color just left of the fountain. I couldn't find a picture with a better view on the statue.
    hofvijver.jpg

And an artist impression of a comparable little iceboat.
    ijsbootje.jpg

And I can agree with AdB, the "Maasmond" pic could be the Rijnhaven, almost the same angle to the (winter?) evening sun.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 10-28-2022 at 05:03 PM.

The cranes of the Rijnhaven ( perhaps the port in #4) picture from the '50's, I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as in #4 but it's hard to see.
    rijnhaven.jpg

Wow, I'm really enjoying the responses here, thanks! And today's picture has LOTS of boats!

Photograph 4: The caption is "Oudejaarsavond (Scheveningen)". The first word means "New Year's Eve". The parenthetical is an area in The Hague. Current maps show a beach area and then a harbor area that seems to now be called the Vissershaven (Fishing Haven). I'm not sure if it is the same, but if it is, then we are looking at a bunch of fishing boats. I believe the white structures on the deck of the first ship on the left are smaller boats, either lifeboats or perhaps the boats that did the actual fishing. Obviously a ton of masts in this picture. If the barrels are connected with fishing, perhaps this is how the fish were transported, or maybe they contain fish oil? There is a herring fishing festival in the Hague. Lots of questions and lots of information in this photo for someone who knows what they are talking about!

Photo 5: Ok, finally some closeups of some boats. The six boats sailing in the same direction, with numbered sails, gives me the impression that this is a race, or at least a sailing group. A gaff rig here. I can't tell in the shadow behind the mainsail whether each boat has just one spinnaker or if this is a cutter with two foresails. I'd love any identification of the boat type.

The caption is simply "Spelen in de zomer", which is of little help because it means to play in the summer. There are two pictures on this page, this sailing picture and people walking in a park, with two locations in parenthesis, Brasemermeer--Rockanje. The first is a lake between Amsterdam and The Hague, which translates "Bream Lake." The second is a town west of Rotterdam, which is the mouth of a river emptying into the channel/north sea. My guess is that these boats are on the Brasemermeer lake, given the orientation in the book.

Great picture!
    Looks to me like a one design race in light air.

The boats in #15 are from the Regenboog class ( Rainbow class) one of the oldest one design classes in the Dutch sailing world. They are still raced today and are very powerful boats.
    The lake is indeed the Brasemermeer.
    I will add additional info about the boat later.
    This is the Rainbow that was donated to our King, of course in the color orange, he still owns the boat and races it now and then.
    oranje.jpg
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-01-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Photo 5: There are more photos of boats like these on the home page of a sailing club on that lake. Website: https://www.braassemermeer.nl/index....0cfa651dd0a7b0

Photos, including of this type of boat: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wvbraa...57711320137388

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    The boats in #15 are from the Regenboog class ( Rainbow class) one of the oldest one design classes in the Dutch sailing world. They are still raced today and are very powerful boats.
    The lake is indeed the Brasemermeer.
    I will add additional info about the boat later.
    This is the Rainbow that was donated to our King, of course in the color orange, he still owns the boat and races it now and then.
    oranje.jpg
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing more.

The specifics of the Rainbow class:

LOA. 8,00 meter
    LWL. 5,18 meter
    Beam. 1,96 meter
    Draft. 1,10 meter
    Ballast. 745 kilogram
    SA Main. 28 m2
    SA Genua. 12,1 m2
    Spinnaker. 30 m2

She's manned with 3 crew members and she is a bit of a beast. She's intended for inshore racing, the design is 105 years old in 2022.
    The designer was Gerard de Vriesch Lentsch Sr.
    I will add a couple of design drawings in an edit.

The lines plan
    lijnenplan regenboog.jpg
    The construction plan
    constructieplan regenboog.jpg
    The sail plan
    zeilplan regenboog.jpg
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-01-2022 at 01:50 PM. Reason: adding drawings

The Rainbow class in a serious breeze.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvqSa5GYpAM

I will have a look at the fishery picture now.

OK post #13
    What you see is a large part of the Dutch herring fleet in their homeport Scheveningen ( The Hague), Scheveningen was the small fishing village which was swallowed by the city during the growth of The Hague.
    scheveningen.jpg
    The seamap of the port.

A recent picture
    scheveningen haven.jpg
    New Years day is an official day off in the Netherlands now, I think it already was a day off in the 50"s (I'm not sure) but most of the boats seem to have returned to their homeport in this pic.
    Herring was caught with large nets, the small sloop pictured is IMO a coincidence, the fishing was done on board of the larger ships, usually Luggers and Cutters.

The herring was cleaned in a specific way, salted and was kept in the barrels you can see on the quay.
    The specific way of cleaning the herring is called "kaken" in Dutch ( I don't know if there's an English word for it), the gills and all the guts, except the pancreas, are removed. Because of enzymes in the pancreas the herring ferments in a specific way in the heavily salted environment of the barrels which creates a specific taste.
    Most Dutch and German people like this taste, I don't like it

On this picture of a herring lugger you can see the crew busy with the "kaken" process and the filling of the barrels with salt and herring.
    haringlogger.jpg

Of course modern boats don't use these oak barrels anymore, it's stainless steel holding tanks now, except during the start of the herring season on the North Sea ( which is heavily regulated), the first "barrel" of herring is auctioned for charity.
    That first barrel of herring is a smaller but traditional 12,5 kg barrel of oak and it usually yields more than €110.000,-
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-01-2022 at 01:28 PM.

This is a painting of the beach of Scheveningen before there was a harbor, this painting is from 1872.
    bomschuiten scheveningen.jpg
    They fished for herring with so called "Bomschuiten", very very sturdy oak ships with leeboards, the ships were pulled up on the beach with horses for unloading.
    In top view these ships were almost rectangular in shape, the sailing characteristics were not very good.
    These ship were very vulnerable on the beach during storms and after another storm in 1894 the authorities finally decided on building a new port (1898)

By the way the distance between the port of Scheveningen and the Hofvijver pictured in #5 is just 3 kilometers.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-01-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Bedankt, dutchpp, you are making this fun!

I like it AJBTC.
    And there's always something new to learn from old pictures, so I'm curious if you have another one

I like visiting Scheveningen, there's a great place close to the harbour to enjoy a Broodje garnalen,and it can be followed with ice cream by the beach while watching the very talented kite surfers.

Here is a detail of Oranje at the dock during the 2017 Woodenboat Festival in Hobart. The dock lines in national colours was a nice touch!
    Oranje_Hbt.jpg

^ I think the picture in #16 was in Hobart as well.

Ok, two smaller boats in canals today. The first boat has four people in it plus the oarsman. The caption is "Men noemt het Holland's Venetie (Giethoorn)", which is "They call it Holland's Venice", referring to the village of Geithoorn.

The second picture has three small boats, two on shore and one in the pond or canal. The caption is "Hollandser kan het neit", meaning "It can't get more Dutch." No location given.

The first picture is easy, the boat is a "Punter" a traditional flat bottomed boat of solid wood. It can be equipped with a small sail and leeboards. In the canals of Giethoorn they were traditional pushed forward with a pole, "punteren" in Dutch.

A punter in Giethoorn.
    punter.jpg

The way of building a punter is quite special, the sides of the boat are very wide planks which are burned into the required shape.
    This is a link to one of the shipyards that still builds these boats, the building process is pictured, the text is in Dutch but the pictures are self explaining.
    https://www.punterbouw.nl/page/23

The second picture is a bit difficult, I'm not sure where it is taken, but I will try to find the location. The boats are standard farmers rowing/fishing boats, when I have found the location I probably can be a bit more specific about the type of boats.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-02-2022 at 02:23 PM.

There are a couple of locations with 3 windmills in a row.
    My best guess is the location in the vicinity of Leidschendam/Stompwijk. This picture is taken from the opposite direction.
    Leidschendam_Molendriegang.jpg

The water still seems to have a similar shape, the little lock on the bottom part of the OP picture is disappeared but there seems to be a small culvert now. The shape of the hood of the mill is similar. The farm on the horizon at the end of the water in the OP picture is still there.
    The only difference is that the window's in the mills seem to be located slightly differently, but that could have been the result of the restoration of the mills in 1959, perhaps to create more light inside of the mills. In the years before 1959 the windmills were in a very bad shape, I think the OP picture was taken before 1959.
    Another picture from a different direction.
    driegang leidschendam.jpg

An a map from the location, 3 mills ( molens) an on the bottom side the farm.
    molendriegang stompwijk.jpg
    I will try to find some working boats form this area of the country.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-02-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Wow, thanks again for the research. Burning planks into shape!?

yes, the windmills must be before 1959 because the copyright date of the book is 1957.

Also, I looked at the sticker on the inside cover. There is an address, either of the store or the person who owned it, which is still standing in the Hague today. Paul Krugerlaan 175.

The only boat that was specific for this region was a so called "Vijf korfse praam", a flat bottomed boat that was used for farming activities, transporting milk and menure etc. because the ground/soil was very swampy, especially during the winters.
    This boat seems to have a similar shape to the second boat on the shore and perhaps the shape is similar to the boat on the water.
    Attachment 122743
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-02-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBTC View Post
    Wow, thanks again for the research. Burning planks into shape!?

yes, the windmills must be before 1959 because the copyright date of the book is 1957.

Also, I looked at the sticker on the inside cover. There is an address, either of the store or the person who owned it, which is still standing in the Hague today. Paul Krugerlaan 175.
    Yes, burn them into the required shape
    Take a look at this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBTQ9uDtGU

I found a Google hit with an add for a bookstore Hoekstra at the Paul Krugerlaan 175 in The Hague, it's from 1973
    Up until recently it was a woman's clothing store.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 11-02-2022 at 03:20 PM.