Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152425

Thread: Dems are going to win.

Default Re: Dems are going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith
    For my Boomer experience, it sort of begins with the administrative state subsidizing Gloria Steinem's speech to the US Naval Academy in 1972 https://recoveringdemocracyarchives....naval-academy/ . The powerful state advanced speech that furthered a change in the cultural values of the electorate to fit long term social engineering goals of the statists.
    Who exactly are you saying subsidized Gloria Steinem's 1972 speech at the U.S. Naval Academy to an audience made up of 3,000 midshipmen and 2,000 civilians? The U.S. Federal government? How? By the U.S. Naval Academy paying Ms. Steinem for her speech (reportedly $12,000)? Are other invited speakers not paid and reimbursed their traveling expenses? Was this unusual in any way?

Do you fear there were midshipmen present with minds full of mush who came away from Ms. Steinem's speech thoroughly indoctrinated and committed to participating in the long-term social engineering goals of the statists? If so all I can say is... WOW, that is whack.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 11-17-2022 at 08:44 AM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Default Dems are going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    This is another Bilge anomaly. Being in the tail end of the Baby Boomer generation, my government schools taught me Hitler burned the books. I guess if you are slightly younger, or are Jello Biafra, it was Tipper Gore and the James Dobson Religious Right that burned the books.

The truth in the end is that the administrative state has always burned the books, or in its real full scale censorship-subsidizes the culture and science that advances the long term internal goals of the state (not the electorate) to the point that dissenting views are starved out and displaced in the West as opposed to locked away in prisons or executed in poorer statist countries. Fritz Lang ran to the USA when Hitler admired Lang's 1927 German expressionist science-fiction drama film Metropolis and wanted Lang to make propaganda movies for the Nazis.

For my Boomer experience, it sort of begins with the administrative state subsidizing Gloria Steinem's speech to the US Naval Academy in 1972 https://recoveringdemocracyarchives....naval-academy/ . The powerful state advanced speech that furthered a change in the cultural values of the electorate to fit long term social engineering goals of the statists.
    From the above link at

https://recoveringdemocracyarchives.umd.edu/rda-context/?ID=214

By 1972, Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes had toured together for two years as a dynamic speaking duo, lecturing on the Women's Liberation movement. The interracial pair hoped to galvanize grassroots support for the movement and to help establish feminism as intersectional and mainstream.1 On May 4, 1972, however, the pair faced an audience unlike any they had addressed before. The two women spoke to a field house full of United States Naval Academy (USNA) men.2 The women took the stage and addressed the midshipmen in a lecture about women's equality and the future of the navy. The midshipmen responded with energy and open confrontation -- some laughed at notions such as "women have been much too docile . . . for too long, but I think that era is about to end;" and others threw their after-dinner oranges on the stage.3 Decades later, Steinem would remember that she "was especially uncertain about what the midshipmen thought; a positive or negative conclusion was impossible."4

Steinem and Pitman Hughes were invited to the United States Naval Academy as a part of the school's 1971-1972 Forrestal Lecture series. This lecture series was established only a few years prior, in 1970, to honor the nation's first Secretary of Defense, James V. Forrestal. The series, which continues today, is described on the USNA website as intending to "enhance the education, awareness, and appreciation of the members of the Brigade of Midshipmen in the social, political and cultural dimensions of the Nation and the world."5

That hardly sounds like "statist social engineering".

More like an attempt on the part of the Naval Academy to broaden midshipmen's minds and give them some exposure to what's going on in the broader world.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 11-17-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    More like an attempt on the part of the Naval Academy to broaden midshipmen's minds and give them some exposure to what's going on in the broader world.
    At that time women were kicking down the doors of the male dominated professorships, grad school, law school, medicine, science, politics and much else.

My Admiral was one of them.

Women have every right to equal opportunity, and I am glad they demanded it.

Our society is very different now.

"social engineering" my kiester

The truth in the end is that the administrative state has always burned the books . . .
    OK so Nazi Germany was an administrative state, of course. What modern nation isn't, or aspires to be? The AS, such as Canada, always burns the books just like the Nazis, except . . . not.

. . . or . . . in its real full scale censorship-subsidizes the culture and science that advances the long term internal goals of the state (not the electorate) to the point that dissenting views are starved out and displaced in the West . . .
    Clearly not. That's how Trump became President.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

The truth is, if Canada was gonna burn books, we'd have done it long since to stay warm.

I've spent literally a lifetime studying or working within Canada's "administrative state." While there's lots that we've got wrong over the years, burning books hasn't happened at least in the last 60 years when I've been paying attention.

So if we're gonna burn them "in the end," I suppose it's not the end yet. And it looks quite a long ways off.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    From the above link at

https://recoveringdemocracyarchives....ontext/?ID=214

That hardly sounds like "statist social engineering".

When you've decided that the HAMMER is the only legitimate tool...

Every problem starts to look like a nail.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Landrith is funny - or at least he would be if he weren't serious.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Sand, as well. Well, maybe not 'funny'. In the usual sense.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Funny peculiar?

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    You mean I am "funny" because I stand up for women's rights ??

I am totally proud to be that sort of funny.

I was a little young then, so I got the Gloria Steinem speech reverberation in about 1979. I think we have forgotten how momentous it was. Being forever in a reserve component of the US Military, I recognize it is not normally a social change leader. I am conservative as in resistant to change, the US military is normally just plain backwards. However ( remember you Bilge shippies and your love for Eleanor Roosevelt?) , the US military was a leader in racial integration. Even in the central Midwest, it was hard for me to adapt to or accept how far behind minorities still are in civilian workplace equality after Basic and Advanced at Ft Benning school for boys. The Steinem speech could be seen as continuing that spirit of Social Progressiveness.

Maybe the pushback here about me bringing it up is that some of you here recognize the Eugenics now rebranded as Transhumanism direction some are now are identifying in our current pushed change agenda...Not me, I am still lost in the 1970's , thinking about Steinem, Jane Fonda....
    Last edited by Landrith; 11-18-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Boebert has reportedly led by 1,122 votes for days now, on CNN anyway.

Tom
    Boebert was just declared winner. Very close though - there maybe a recount

Lauren Boebert's Democratic Challenger Concedes in Shockingly Tight Colorado House Race

On Friday Adam Frisch, a former Aspen city councilman, announced that he'd called Boebert to concede in one of the final House races in the country to be called. At the time of his concession, he sat only 551 votes behind Boebert, close enough to trigger an automatic recount according to Colorado state law.

Default Dems are going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Boebert was just declared winner. Very close though - there maybe a recount

Not "may be" a recount: will be a recount. State law requires a recount when the delta is less than 1/2 of 1 percent.

And, per Colorado law, the computation of that delta made by taking the total vote difference (currently 554 votes - I just checked) divided by the total votes received by that largest vote getter (that's currently Boebert at 163,832).

[Just going to note that that is statistically incorrect -- the computation should be the difference divided by the total number of votes cast -- but the law is what it is.]

At any rate, that works out ( 100 * 554 / 163832 ) to 0.33815 percent, so unless a whole lot of votes suddenly show up and increase the differential, it's an automatic recount.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 11-18-2022 at 02:42 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

^ Even if one candidate concedes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Colorado Revised Statutes

C.R.S. § 1-10.5-101 (Lexis Advance through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session)

1-10.5-101. Recounts required - expenses.

(1)
    (a) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2001, p. 1265, § 1, effective June 5, 2001.)
    (b) A recount of any election contest shall be held if the difference between the highest number of votes cast in that election contest and the next highest number of votes cast in that election contest is less than or equal to one-half of one percent of the highest vote cast in that election contest.

If there is more than one person to be elected in an election contest, a recount shall be held if the difference between the votes cast for the candidate who won the election with the least votes and the candidate who lost the election with the most votes is less than or equal to one-half of one percent of the votes cast for the candidate who won the election with the least votes.

A recount shall occur only after the canvass board certifies the original vote count.
    And . . .

C.R.S. § 1-10.5-102 (Lexis Advance through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session)

1-10.5-102. Recounts for congressional, state, and district offices, state ballot questions, and state ballot issues.

(1) If the secretary of state determines that a recount is required for the office of United States senator, representative in congress, any state office or district office of state concern, any state ballot question, or any state ballot issue certified for the ballot by the secretary of state, the secretary of state shall order a complete recount of all the votes cast for that office, state ballot question, or state ballot issue no later than the thirtieth day after the election.

(2) The secretary of state shall notify the county clerk and recorder of each county involved of a public recount to be conducted in the county at a place prescribed by the secretary of state. The recount shall be completed no later than the thirty-fifth day after any election.

The secretary of state shall promulgate and provide each county clerk and recorder with the necessary rules to conduct the recount in a fair, impartial, and uniform manner, including provisions for watchers during the recount. Any rule concerning the conduct of a recount must take into account the type of voting system and equipment used by the county in which the recount is to be conducted.

So with 5 house seats still undecided and one senate seat awaiting a run-off, I am going to say that I predicted the outcome pretty closely regardless of these undecided seats. I was off by two governorships, and likely one senate seat, and likely one house seat once the counting is all done. I wish I could pre it stock prices this closely.

I am dearly hoping that there will be a chaotic floor fight for speaker and McCarthy will not just be handed the gavel.
    This will make him a very weak speaker if he does get in and it would be a huge embarrassment for the GOP.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I am dearly hoping that there will be a chaotic floor fight for speaker and McCarthy .
    The Uniparty requires McCarthy to be Speaker unless some Wisconsin representative resigns and the governor appoints Paul Ryan to fill the term so he can be reinstalled as Speaker of the House to further the Limousine Democrats and Trotskyite Republicans' control of the Uni-party. The Congress has not been about representing the people for a long time. Instead Congress's business is picking winners and losers in our China style state capitalism system.

I was in disbelief when the Uni-party embraced Neo Feudalism. By the end of Pelosi's reign we had entered the New Dark Ages. Our GOP Senate needs to continue Pelosi's agenda of delivering more legislation to deprive the US serfs (formerly citizens) of their private resources for their state capital patrons. Republicans in the House will be brought to heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I am dearly hoping that there will be a chaotic floor fight for speaker and McCarthy will not just be handed the gavel.
    This will make him a very weak speaker if he does get in and it would be a huge embarrassment for the GOP.
    Being a weak speaker means he will cave to every demand from the maga wing of the party. I don't look forward to this.

I still think that there is a non-zero possibility that at some point in this next 2 years a speaker is selected who is supported by moderates from both parties. Or by Dems and a handful of utterly disgusted and furious Republicans.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I still think that there is a non-zero possibility that at some point in this next 2 years a speaker is selected who is supported by moderates from both parties. Or by Dems and a handful of utterly disgusted and furious Republicans.

That would be great. And likely the wedge that triggers the schism into 3 or 4 parties.

Not holding my breath though. That probability may be non-zero, but it approaches zero. That would require a lot of repugnicans to break party discipline, something that they appear unable to do. Standing on one's own two legs seems to require gronicles.

The Uniparty requires McCarthy to be Speaker unless some Wisconsin representative resigns and the governor appoints Paul Ryan to fill the term
    With a Democratic governor, Wisconsin won't be appointing Paul Ryan to anything.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The Uniparty requires . . .

Ladies and gentleman, we have a strong candidate for the silliest political post of 2022, and maybe of the century. Anyone who can believe this after the past few years is so out of touch with reality that they might as well be holding long involved conversations with elm trees.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

In the challenges to the results of the 2020 election, I said the Democrat unappreciated benefit of the Electoral College is that it quickly resolves who won the decentralized presidential election without court interference. I also said that in spite of the precedent of Bush v. Gore and actually because (feel free to insert conspiracy theory here) of Bush v. Gore, the US Supreme Court would not interfere with state's determinations of their own votes.

I did not include consideration of whether the Supreme Court would review the actions of Congress in determining the 2020 winner. It now is a remote possibility Brunson vs. Adams https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...the_swamp.html

But, at least this answers the question asked of me in the Bilge of how Trump is President for three terms...lol
    Last edited by Landrith; 12-08-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Richard Feynman

I made the mistake of reading the link to the "American Thinker". There's a few minutes I'll never get back.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I made the mistake of reading the link to the "American Thinker". There's a few minutes I'll never get back.
    It wouldn't matter except out of the 7000 average Supreme Court petitions that get don't get heard https://www.uscourts.gov/about-feder...rces/supreme-1, this one is docketed for conference...It really is stranger than fiction

This is how I feel after reading a series of posts by Landrith.

"They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

It wouldn't matter except out of the 7000 average Supreme Court petitions that get don't get heard https://www.uscourts.gov/about-feder...rces/supreme-1, this one is docketed for conference...It really is stranger than fiction
    OK - valid point. If the SCOTUS does hear this, things are more worser than I thought.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"This is how I feel after reading a series of posts by Landrith."

Prince Charles also had the same architectural tastes...https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...984-story.html
    Last edited by Landrith; 12-08-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    OK - valid point. If the SCOTUS does hear this, things are more worser than I thought.
    Oh but just take refuge in the far right conspiracy theory that the court was never going to hear Brunson, it is on the calendar only because the lame duck Congress and Biden have made sounds about changing the number of Justices on the Supreme Court and the cases that it hears. Another very unlikely event.

Enough…
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…