Thread: Getting off trailer for paint...

Default Getting off trailer for paint...

I just found out the boatyard nearby "won't touch wooden boats" so haul out isn't an option so I have no backup right now. Basically our Eun na mara is sitting on the trailer in our yard but I've failed to get it lifted in a way I was comfortable with so I can do a new bottom coat. It's 20ft and ~1700 lbs or so. I really hate to buy or build a lifting device to take up a bunch of permanent yard space...does anyone have innovative ideas to offer? Kind of stuck on how to get her bottom painted and it's definitely needed

Default Re: Getting off trailer for paint...

Maybe something here to help with ideas? Jacks, levers, fork lift, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lifting+boat+off+trailer+with out+lift

Here's a good one on what not to do lol, the bravery showing this mistake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQETAiW9f4A

Have you thought of renting some Brownell stands and just lifting it enough to roll under the bunks/pads on your trailer and then doing the rest? If I weren't so far away you could use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Have you thought of renting some Brownell stands and just lifting it enough to roll under the bunks/pads on your trailer and then doing the rest? If I weren't so far away you could use mine.
    This was actually what I first tried, the problem is the trailer has a groove for the keel so I need to lift it quite far to get to the bottom

Lift it as far as you can, then let the air out of the tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Lift it as far as you can, then let the air out of the tires.

Well that’s an idea, thanks!

I once lifted a 3500 lb boat about 6 inches off the trailer, long story as to why. Trailer had 4 lifts for support, similar to brownells, just took my time going from one to the other and doing the same amount of turns. A bit nervous at first but it worked surprisingly well. If you need extra assurance, maybe you could fabricate a few hardwood wedges to plant under your keel as it rises and replace as needed in order to paint. 1700 lbs is not a lot, 4 stands would do but get 6 if you can, borrow/rent them for 2 days as it will go fast. Good luck and work slow.

...Or jack up the trailer, place stands, lower trailer, place wood on ground, remove tires, ground trailer, slide out trailer on wood.

4500 lbs, one jack and some blocks of wood...
    Jack it up, block it and roll the trailer forward until you hit a cross member. Reposition the jack and blocks to the rear of the cross member and repeat until the trailer is gone. Some tubafors under each rail will keep it from capsizing.

Any of the above. Also this: Drop the trailer tongue to the ground, block up the stern, crank the trailer tongue as high as it will go, now support the bow. Ease down the trailer and it MIGHT roll free. It depends on how much the springs decompress when you remove the weight of the boat. If the trailer will pull out, you'll have to rejigger the bow support as the trailer is pulled forward.

I've used this method on a couple of boats, both larger than yours. On one of them, I had to scrape trenches in the gravel drive to drop the trailer another 2 or 3 inches.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by skerry View Post
    It's 20ft and ~1700 lbs or so.
    There used to be an Eun Mara builders discussion group. Most of the boats weighed in at around 1200 kilograms or 2600 pounds. I have yet to weigh mine but from the way it settles on the 3500lb capacity trailer I use, 2600 sounds about right.

I have lifted the boat for paint purposes using four boat stands. the semi-ring frames at the mast and the bulkhead forming the aft buoyancy tanks are good solid spots to bear against.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

How did the lift go?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I was noodling around looking for adjustable screw-pads to replace support pads on my trailer and saw this Brownell lift system: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/brow...ing-system/bl2

It costs a fair bit, but looks to be useful. I think a clever person could adapt the idea to use materials at hand.

Jeff

I have used Platte racks/shelving units like the ones in the big box stores with come alongs and jacks. You can find platte rack used on line.
    That is a Catalina C30 in the photo 10'200 lb. displacement +
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by John Howland; 10-17-2022 at 01:02 PM.
    John H.

I have four scaffold levelers much like these that I have been looking at re-purposing onto my boat trailer. Like the "official" boat ones they have a nice coarse thread, updates on this little project after I haul the boat out next month.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Any of the above. Also this: Drop the trailer tongue to the ground, block up the stern, crank the trailer tongue as high as it will go, now support the bow. Ease down the trailer and it MIGHT roll free. It depends on how much the springs decompress when you remove the weight of the boat. If the trailer will pull out, you'll have to rejigger the bow support as the trailer is pulled forward.
    This is just brilliant and I'm going to use it next time.

The basic idea wasn't that bad, It was the fast execution. You can see the jack wheel drop down due to something in the surface in front of the shed which brought the back of the bunks/stands up which knocked his support over.
    I would've done that at a snails pace, stopping and checking every foot or so
    That was horrible to watch!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Your boat is not wood, it is composite.
    never call it wood when speaking to insurance/marinas/boatyards

#19, what did I miss?
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    4500 lbs, one jack and some blocks of wood...
    Jack it up, block it and roll the trailer forward until you hit a cross member. Reposition the jack and blocks to the rear of the cross member and repeat until the trailer is gone. Some tubafors under each rail will keep it from capsizing.

This^
    Peerie Maa is only 18 foot long and lighter, but I slid the trailer out from under her leaving her on blocks, and then bilged her from side to side to access her bottom http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...aa-40-years-on.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    #19, what did I miss?
    post#2
    It wasn't a great idea but the fellow could've pulled it off if he hadn't been so hasty...poor guy!

Sorry all I ended up at a boatyard, wife wasn’t too fond of me working under the boat