Thread: Iran crisis

Default Iran crisis

It is now over two weeks that massive protests continue across Iran.

https://www.aljazeera.com/where/iran/

Default Re: Iran crisis

Repression in action.

Iranians are some of the bravest protesters in the world. When they go for it they are tigers. The unfortunate result of this willingness to take risks in the defense of their convictions is even more brutal repression. I hope this time it will be different but the regime will not go down easily.

Ukraine is understandably taking most of the headlines but the resistance in Iran deserves more focus and attention than it has received. The protesters’ courage and fortitude is remarkable.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

"We have to kill her in order to save her."

I support the people, and especially the women, of Iran as I support the people of Ukraine. I hope they throw off their oppressors and regain their independence by whatever means possible.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Islam hates women. The mullahs will pull out all the stops to put this down.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    yeah, yeah and Christians hate women. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    The thing that impresses me is that they make women cover up because they tempt men, but nobody says, "Why are the men so weak?" Maybe the fault lies with Islamic men who can't show a little discipline.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Lately I’ve been thinking about militancy as the common thread in the oppression resulting from these religious/political movements and regimes of oppression.
    militant

/ˈmɪlɪt(ə)nt/

adjective

• favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause.

The paradox is the movement militancy finds expression in Is or starts out from a motive to “make the world a better place” in accordance with the particular ideology. Consequently it’s often not the ideology in and of itself but the propensity for militancy in some who are motivated by the ideology. They take over using the common tools and techniques of power and the movement becomes the antithesis and hypocritical to of its original purpose and ideals.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I don’t myself know any Muslim ladies who wear hijab, but that’s just fortuitous; it happens that all the Muslim ladies I know don’t wear it, and it’s forty years since I was last in Iran.

I think that there are aspects of Iran’s Islamic constitution that are admirable. The system of checks and balances is well thought out, but there are two (maybe three) problems.

One is that the Supreme Leader doesn’t stand back and act as an arbitrator; he gets actively involved in political matters.

The other two are the existence of the Revolutionary Guards and of the Baseej Militia, both of which organisations seem to be above the law. They both ( quelle surprise! ) report only to the Supreme Leader.

There are lots of other things about Iran that seem admirable; Iran’s education system is excellent and does not afaik discriminate against women at all.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    There are lots of other things about Iran that seem admirable; Iran’s education system is excellent and does not afaik discriminate against women at all.
    We've had a lot of Iranian women studying for advanced degrees.

They are universally pleasant and none of them want to go home.

Religion corrupted by those who purport to follow it in the lust for power over others. Who'd have thought it?.

Long item on BBC TV News tonight mainly on the work of BBC Persian. Lots of bright Iranian women working there, indeed it seems to be a channel staffed almost entirely by women, not one of whom covers her hair. Needless to say the Iranian Government hates it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

#7: Yes, seriously. And since you bring it up, the three Abrahamic religions do indeed opress women, if not downright hate them. Read their stuff.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

This photo is from 1979 when the hijab law was first proposed:

DB7167D3-9D96-42E4-9CEB-669967E703CC.jpg

Let’s hope the outcome is different this time. From what the protestors are saying it’s only the younger generation out on the streets. The older folks are staying home.

How to deal with a prison full of pesky protestors against hijabs……..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-...ison/101540608

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I don’t myself know any Muslim ladies who wear hijab, but that’s just fortuitous; it happens that all the Muslim ladies I know don’t wear it, and it’s forty years since I was last in Iran.
    I worked with a couple.
    One from a Muslim family, has completed the Hajj, wore a smart trouser suit.
    The other, an English convert who wore the entire uniform, head to toe, in muted shades of grey.

What you wear has sod all to do with what you actually believe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Converts are nearly always extreme as they try to convince themselves that they really do believe…………
    god shopping

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We are one SCOTUS member into the same.
    not one member away, one in .
    coathangers

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Iranians are some of the bravest protesters in the world. When they go for it they are tigers. The unfortunate result of this willingness to take risks in the defense of their convictions is even more brutal repression. I hope this time it will be different but the regime will not go down easily.

Ukraine is understandably taking most of the headlines but the resistance in Iran deserves more focus and attention than it has received. The protesters’ courage and fortitude is remarkable.
    In Berkeley in the mid 70’s they were the dominant group protesting on campus. Everyone else was taking a break.

One can presume that she does not have her own account?