Thread: Wilcox-Crittendon #1 Tuning Fork

Default Wilcox-Crittendon #1 Tuning Fork

As a musician who often brings a guitar on sailing trips I was tickled to find the single Wilcox-Crittendon Bronze #1 open oarlock horn that a neighbour gave me rings a nice clear A 440. Which, to the non-musicians, is what one normally gets from a tuning fork.
    It'd be great to have a pair but for now I carry this one as a spare because I have
    broken a brass oarlock before.

IMG_3053.jpg

Default Re: Wilcox-Crittendon #1 Tuning Fork

Well, 440 is standard in the U.S. I think European orchestras--some of them, anyway--use A=444.

But I guess if your oarlock is Wilcox-Crittendon, there should be no surprise that it's tuned to 440!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

My understanding was that it was pretty worldwide, however orchestras tune to an oboe.
    it was a British fellow, amateur pianist and electrical engineer who chose A440

Neat brief read
    https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...andard-feature

"A year later, Swinburne was the Musical Association’s representative to a preliminary conference called to decide what the British position on concert pitch should be. British piano tuners had settled on A439 in 1899, but, his interest in ratios and electronics converging, Swinburne objected: 439, he noted, was a prime number; 440 was more easily factored, and more easily electronically synthesized. The other European powers agreed. It was one of the last things they would agree on before the outbreak of World War II."

Those bronze “tuning forks” have really gone up in price. I couldn’t find my second pair this summer so I thought I’d grab a pair at Hamilton Marine - $50! I looked a little harder and found them right where I left them, in the passenger side door of my van.

Cool. Jazz, pop, blues. It's all 440.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Those bronze “tuning forks” have really gone up in price. I couldn’t find my second pair this summer so I thought I’d grab a pair at Hamilton Marine - $50! I looked a little harder and found them right where I left them, in the passenger side door of my van.
    $50 for Perko, but you can get the real thing for less if you keep an eye on eBay. I've purchased several pairs of original WC oarlocks there. These look pretty nice for example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225000745011

(I'd be tempted to buy them myself but I have a few pairs already). Some people want silly prices of course, but there are deals if you look.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    $50 for Perko, but you can get the real thing for less if you keep an eye on eBay. I've purchased several pairs of original WC oarlocks there. These look pretty nice for example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225000745011

(I'd be tempted to buy them myself but I have a few pairs already). Some people want silly prices of course, but there are deals if you look.
    I bought them! (There's one pair left--$31 and free shipping on "Buy It Now")

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Hmm I was wondering about the strange truncated bottoms. I like the remove and dangle aspect of the chains/line

Not much use to me anyway as they do not ship internationally...effectively cutting down there potential customers. A fair amount of US sellers do this.
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 10-02-2022 at 05:56 PM.

432 wish you were here, as far as i know

There is some debate over the best pitch of A, there's even the obligatory internet conspiracy theories, involving Nazis (of course!) and Pythagoras(more cred than the Nazi's) and even the Pyramids!
    I'm mostly glad that when I play with others we all have a shared standard pitch. Makes the music so much better. Supposedly Leonard Bernstein tuned the Orchestra up to 444 regularly to give the music an edge.
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 10-02-2022 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Hmm I was wondering about the strange truncated bottoms. I like the remove and dangle aspect of the chains/line

Not much use to me anyway as they do not ship internationally...effectively cutting down there potential customers. A fair amount of US sellers do this.
    International shipping is expensive--OK if buyers will pay it--but it's also a hassle, involving customs forms, etc. Really not worth it. I ship books internationally and lose money that way.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I used to ship internationally all the time too. It has however gotten very expensive lately.
    Here at least it was very little hassle, a few lines on a small form. One priced for shipping accordingly including some handling cost.
    I used to ship vacuum tubes, caps, electronics, speakers, guitars, what have you. Smaller, hard to break things were always more cost effective and less work. An oarlock would be pretty simple to ship but might be a little costly due to weight. At least as much as the cost to buy. That would be the buyer's choice though.
    Ive bought lots of stuff from the States and abroad and generally expect the shipping to be higher.
    I agree that as a buyer it's daunting now.