Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Finish for Cedar Fishing Net Foat, Lake Superior

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    71

    Default Finish for Cedar Fishing Net Float, Lake Superior

    I got a fishing net float from the Maritime Museum in Bayfield, WI for contributing a few dollars towards their expenses. They pack up and close down in the fall as the building is a boathouse and re-open after the stored boats are back in the water. It came complete with fish scales...Since then I have wiped it off and make a couple scrap cedar 'copies' trying to learn some on the lathe. I am wondering what would have been the go-to finish for something like this. I have polyurethane, pine tar, stains, pigments, paints, thinners, epoxy, and varnish. Original float is about 5 1/8" long x 1 9/16" diameter with a 3/8" hole (135mm x 40mm x 9.5mm bore).Thanks!


    https://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...t/nmah_1291229 -article about a float mill

    https://www.bayfieldmaritimemuseum.org/ -museum, take the virtual tour if you like

    spot_wb_floats1.jpg
    Last edited by Spot; 10-01-2022 at 02:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Finish for Cedar Fishing Net Foat, Lake Superior

    Wondering if it would be something along the lines of pine tar+ turpentine + linseed oil + Japan dryer

    https://maritime.org/conf/conf-kaye-tar.php

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...oating-Formula

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Finish for Cedar Fishing Net Foat, Lake Superior

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...e-and-pine-tar

    I was hoping to mix pine tar + turpentine + varnish (to get some drying ability in there), but all of my varnishes seem to be polyurethanes and I am not versed in organic nor polymer chemistry to wager a result. I did a first coat 50/50 pine tar and turpentine by weight, 34g total. Filled up the bored holes for a ten-count and let them drain out, then proceeded to 'baste' them back and forth and round and round in the old bread pan. They looked like little cedar enchiladas. Stood them up, let them drain, flipped them end for end, and now they sit.

    spot_wb_sauce1.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •