Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to name a boat?

Default Re: How to name a boat?

I name everything, even my cars, or at least the older ones that have personality. My yellow '92 Miata is called 'Buttercup', and my old pick-up is 'Bubba'. How can you have a proper christening without a name? "I christen thee...TBD.

We do too. I think it's the humorous connection my wife and I share in a "family lexicon" when we name things. Our diesel for instance was referred to as "Rudolph" after Mr. Diesel himself. We also convince ourselves that by paying the engine "proper respect" that "He'd" perhaps honor us by behaving "himself" (most of the time) ;-)

We've been known to assign "pet names" to our motor vehicles too. With boats it's easy to understand why... they're more "alive" in motion and adventure than a car or truck, etc. They actually seem to possess a personality and moods. (Shrinks-have at us!).

So, aside from the superstitious nature of "cuddling up" to inanimate objects because they give us pleasure, shared memories, humorous sentimentality, I think this has been common among people since caveman Og named his favorite pet rock.
    It's also definitely a personality type thang. If one is sentimental, likes to "riff" humorous asides, etc. They're maybe... more likely to name objects than a serious, fact/evidence based personality who is "more" logical, seeing an inanimate object as matter rather than "spirit". A bit "woo woo" but obviously we're not alone in this madness ;-)

Last edited by Dinghy Pipedreams; 10-05-2022 at 01:21 PM.

There is the ever-popular Boatie McBoatface - it was the winning name for a British Research vessel

Nice Georgian Bay video Tom good music too.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

The current front-runner is 'Ratatoskr', a squirrel from Norse mythology. Why? I have no idea.

I have a wooden sea kayak I built, a laughing loon design, which a member of my kayaking group named pirate because it looks menacing. The rest of them have fiberglass or kevlar composite sea kayaks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Satter View Post
    Nice Georgian Bay video Tom good music too.
    Thanks--glad you enjoyed it. It's amusing how much enjoyment I get out of the tedious process of putting together little videos like that--a nice way to relive the trip.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    The current front-runner is 'Ratatoskr', a squirrel from Norse mythology. Why? I have no idea.
    good one!

Ho boy. Beware cutesy and pun-ish names. I am guilty of naming a nice home-built kayak 'Killer Sperm."
    I was gonna name one boat Miss Molley. My wife, referring to a recently departed pet named Molley, said "I miss Molley too." Oops.
    My newest vessel name, Alerik, was lifted from a Deep Purple masterpiece, Son of Alerik which is almost a Ritchie Blackmore solo.

What is the meaning of Alerik?
    Well, Alaric I was King of the Visigoths, but according to the Urban Dictionary, Alerik means "To pretend to do something. To pretend to work hard on any given day"

​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell