Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Favourite Songs ---

Default Some Favourite Songs ---

As requested by JayInOz, some favourite songs from BROM of October!.....one a day, some I've posted before on previous threads, I will try and include most that haven't.

I would often walk into Batman Records in Swanston St, Melbourne, browse through the record selection and pick one by the cover art without even listening through the stores headphones. .

This is one of them. Sons Of Champlain; Welcome To The Dance.

Sons of Champlin | website

The Sons of Champlin started in 1965 in Marin County, California, rising from the wreckage of the Opposite Six, a locally popular R&B band from the pre-Beatle era. “Six” members, Bill Champlin and Tim Cain, added Terry Haggerty and the first of a series of drummers and bass players. The new band was named for the “front” man, Bill Champlin. For a couple of years the Sons played as a five-piece band, working the college and high school dance circuit and the various clubs and bars in the Bay Area.The Sons’ first record release, on Verve Records, was a single called “Sing Me A Rainbow”. It got a little local AM radio airplay. In 1967 the Sons of Champlin became a seven-piece band, adding a trumpet and more importantly, Geoff Palmer on keyboards, alto sax, and vibraphone. By this time the San Francisco scene included the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms, and as the Sons joined that rock circuit, they earned a reputation as a group of R&B and jazz musicians far above the caliber of the electrified folk-rockers who formed the core of the scene. Not only did the Sons boast a horn section, their philosophical themes, R&B and jazz tempos and arrangements were far ahead of any in rock music, and set the Sons apart from the guitar-dominated bands playing the San Francisco ballrooms. Because nearly every other major San Francisco band signed a big record deal before the Sons did in 1968, they have sometimes been referred to as a “second wave” San Francisco band, although the Sons predate most of the fixtures in that scene. Between 1968 and 1977 the Sons of Champlin released seven albums. Despite developing a fanatic fan base in a number of regions, the national breakthrough never arrived, and in 1977 the members dispersed to other projects. However, their fans never forgot the Sons of Champlin and continued to spread the word and the music. After a twenty-year hiatus, the Sons reunited for a series of successful reunion gigs in 1997. Two of the earliest shows were in April at the legendary Fillmore Auditorium where it all began. Several more concerts were held in July, followed by more in the fall. On January 24, 1998, the Sons recorded their first-ever live CD. It was released on July 28, 1998, in cooperation with Grateful Dead Records. The Sons’ earlier studio releases never quite captured the magic of their live shows. Quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle, the Grateful Dead’s Mickey Hart said of those earlier shows: “they were breathing fire… they were the most talented of all the bands.”More concerts followed whenever schedules permitted over the next few years, including some that were promoted by fans.In the fall of 2001, original guitarist, Terry Haggerty, left the band to pursue other musical endeavors. He also introduced the band to his replacement, Tal Morris, who is a great guitarist and blended into the Sons’ lineup very well. Early in 2002, in an extraordinary partnership with the Expression Center for New Media, located in Emeryville, CA, the Sons were back on stage and back in the recording studio. This collaboration resulted in the release of a live CD and DVD titled “Secret”, which captured the magic of the Sons at their best, not just live … but Alive. The Sons of Champlin continued to tour as their schedules permitted, mostly on the West Coast and in the Pacific Northwest. There were more personnel changes, with Tal Morris, as well as the horn section, leaving the band to pursue other musical opportunities.

Sons of Champlin - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-30-2022 at 10:19 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Default Re: Some Favourite Songs ---

The whole album for you to sit back and enjoy. ( a testimony to when an album had continuity and was and was listened to as a whole )

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

This is an old favorite. My sweetie drags a piano transcription out periodically and favors us... as she did after work today.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Lonnie Mack did a pup tour of Australia in the early 90's and I made sure I didn't miss his Melbourne shows at The Prince Of Wales hotel in St Kilda. Fantastic to see him play in a small venue. I bought his album The Hills of Indiana years before.

Bruce Cockburn

I was in elementary school. Elvis recorded this at SUN. I loved it then, and it's still one of my favorite recordings. The world went crazy over the rock, but I loved this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6s...sPresley-Topic
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

The Sun recordings are my favourites of Elvis too. That one with the C, A minor, F and G chord structure the same as Always Look on the Bright Side of Life and thousands of tunes. When playing around the campfire with friends I used to do a medley of them. All IHave To Do is Dream by the Everly Brothers is another.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    The Sun recordings are my favourites of Elvis too. That one with the C, A minor, F and G chord structure the same as Always Look on the Bright Side of Life and thousands of tunes. When playing around the campfire with friends I used to do a medley of them. All IHave To Do is Dream by the Everly Brothers is another.
    I'd have a long list of favorites. I just remember this as being my first favorite song.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

This one made it to my favourites list after hearing it at the boys shared house a few years ago.....

It's been a lovely sunny day here with a big family get together. Our eldest son Ben's little boy Mac was baptised and we had a get together in our favourite park after for a BBQ and some music playing on a bluetooth speaker and this track came on.

Bruce Cockburn

First time I heard John Martyn I was hooked on his sound, his passion and his unique style of guitar playing. I made sure I had great tickets for his Melbourne concerts when he toured Australia and was fortunate enough to meet him after the show. I was amased at the fact that he played heavy guage strings with an action that was not as low as I expected such that it was difficult to play his guitar. He must have a lot of strength to play like that and the reason he gave was that volume and tone benefit from such a set up. I took that in and changed my set up from light to medium. My acoustic guitar sound improved as a result but it took a few months of daily practice for my playing to adapt. Consequently this is a move I used to suggest to players I taught who were serious.
    There are several versions of this song but this live one best represents the John Martyn sound and style I experienced.

Bruce Cockburn

I was late in my appreciation of the blues. Dutch Tilders was a Melbourne blues guitarist and one evening in the early 90’s I sat down to a cassette of his playing and worked out one of his tunes note for note and the light switched on! Dutch had opened the door in my brain to the blues and I began to explore the options on the frett board! I had always listened but not appreciated or known the blues. A few years later I was into Stevie Ray Vaughan jamming his tunes and others with a few mates and gigging at the local chapter of the Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club plus back yard BBQ’s in summer. It was a good time.

Bruce Cockburn

Taking it back to 1969 with this one from the Dutch group Shocking Blue. We'll call it a pop song I think. For a few reasons it made an indelible impression......

Bruce Cockburn

For those who don't visit the Pub --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Dave Bromberg long way to nashville

This one's a concert my wife and I have listened to a few times now. Good production values all round, Sound is good.
    Jackson Browne, Austin City Limits concert earlier this year, so grab a spare hour, your favourite beverages and or other mood enhancing concoctions, make yourself comfortable and turn up the stereo.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Taking it back to 1969 with this one from the Dutch group Shocking Blue. We'll call it a pop song I think. For a few reasons it made an indelible impression......

One of my all-time faves!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

....and back to the early 70's. War! Check out these cats!!

Bruce Cockburn

Bruce Cockburn

This one taught me a lot about opera.

Headphones, or decent speakers.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

^ Nice recording! I love big reverbs that create that etherial soundscape on the right material and this performance fits the bill nicely.

and now for some old favourites from my childhood days!

and for interest sake a re mastered version:

https://youtu.be/EGiaa0vVZAw
    Last edited by Hallam; 10-19-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

...and this one:

Bruce Cockburn

Due to the strange interaction with the forum software and my browser, I cannot see a single one of your offerings.

Sigh.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Due to the strange interaction with the forum software and my browser, I cannot see a single one of your offerings.

Sigh.
    thats a pitty. Are you viewing from an iPhone? If so there's a thread about it. A quick fix for me was to delete my browser history.

Bruce Cockburn

As I shut down my garden this week I think of this wonderful song to a text by Dylan Bustin.

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Burl Ives - Blue Tail Fly

Now it’s off on a blues tangent for a few songs so first up we gotta have a harmonica train song……

Bruce Cockburn

This one is a slow blues with an extended harp solo, the recording is stellar with full solid bass great organic tone on the harp and a great mix!

Last edited by Hallam; 10-20-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

we gotta have a harmonica train song……
    Forrest City Joe - Train Time

Just came across the music of Madison Cunningham. Man am I impressed with the musicality and mood of her music and some stunning vocal performances.

Joni Mitchell meets Jeff Buckley puts it in some sort of frame..........

Bruce Cockburn

This one broke me up when I first heard it........ each time I hear it.....sublime beauty.

Bruce Cockburn

Madison and Courtney remind me of each other.

Courtney Marie Andrews - Me & Jerry

Bailey Bigger seems to be still unknown outside of Memphis, but I love her voice and writing. Her brother, Wyly, is a very talented blues keyboard player.

Bailey Bigger "Coyote Red"

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I missed this thread when it first appeared.

Not only did I see the Sons of Champlin a couple of times in '72 or so, but a # of them came to a party at our house in Fayetteville, AR & ended up crashing there for the night. Really nice people.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I missed this thread when it first appeared.

Not only did I see the Sons of Champlin a couple of times in '72 or so, but a # of them came to a party at our house in Fayetteville, AR & ended up crashing there for the night. Really nice people.

Well there you go! That's a connection. I had never heard of them and bought the album because of the cover. This was mid 70's. I used to do that often in a random way of finding new music. The album has remained an all time favourite.

Bruce Cockburn