Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: thinking of getting a dog

Default thinking of getting a dog

Trying to decide between a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd, any thoughts?

Full disclosure we have had 3 Border Cookies over the years. I am 65 and this could be the last dog we have.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: thinking of getting a dog

If you have the time and the energy.

It’s really hard to go wrong with a dog. Border collie, standard poodles (our dog of choice) or an unloved must from the pound. You just can’t go wrong.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I have no thoughts but wish you the best fun and patience, sounds like you know what you’re in for.

How much time can you spend with the prospective pooch?

I believe the two breeds you mention are active, intelligent delightful breeds - if you have the energy thruout their lives to keep them busy, exercised, engaged, and challenged. I wonder if they are good for one getting older. For a 'last dog'... I might be inclined toward something mellower.

I also am waiting for the right opportunity to lobby for another puppy. Our great rescue mongrel died, but our kids mongrel moved in. She's a good dog - sweet, loving, gentle with the kids, and friendly overall. A pit bull mix. But also a huge knucklehead. Hard to train, clumsy, needy, etc.

So, for what may well be our 'last dog', I'm thinking about hypo-allergenic coat. So some poodle mix perhaps. Or Portuguese Water Dog or mix. A water dog, of course. Labradoodle, Goldendoodle, or something similar. Hard to find as a rescue/shelter dog.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I vote Aussie. Trevor has been the best dog ever!

9421B098-CED9-4AA8-BE54-20EEABAFF7E3.jpg

35B78FFF-725C-48A1-B6D7-BF51F87F4877.jpg

9D97F66C-35DD-49D6-AF39-71130C946663.jpg

He’s twelve now and was out running around with the puppies in the park today.

Great choice for active youngsters like you and M.

Whaddy, in your 30's now? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Great sidecar shot!

When our Great Pyrenees goes a smaller dog would be our choice. Like a corgi. I have always been partial to them - usually smart, active, can go anywhere you will, if a bit yappy. All our dogs have been big and I’m not quite into muscling them around anymore if needed.

All dogs are good, and most of them are great!

My best dog was an Aussie. My neighbor said, "the good news is your dog is really smart; the bad news is your dog is really smart."

She too was a sidecar dog:

enduro hack 2 (2).jpg
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

D84FCC62-2B2C-409E-BC6B-0EE4EC1AE3E9.jpg

As long as you’re getting one dog you might as well get two.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Keep them away from the cigars

0B0CA972-709D-44DC-928C-A3981B12FD6D.jpg
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 09-30-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Keep them away from the cigars

0B0CA972-709D-44DC-928C-A3981B12FD6D.jpg
    And excessive amounts of beer. Even if it's GOOD beer --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie—
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find—it’s your own affair—
    But… you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long—
    So why in—Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling - 1865-1936
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but in Australia there isn't a breed called Australian Shepherd. It's an American invention. JayInOz

How about a focused dog.

IMG_3100.jpg

or an attentive one

molly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I believe the two breeds you mention are active, intelligent delightful breeds - if you have the energy thruout their lives to keep them busy, exercised, engaged, and challenged. I wonder if they are good for one getting older. For a 'last dog'... I might be inclined toward something mellower.

I also am waiting for the right opportunity to lobby for another puppy. Our great rescue mongrel died, but our kids mongrel moved in. She's a good dog - sweet, loving, gentle with the kids, and friendly overall. A pit bull mix. But also a huge knucklehead. Hard to train, clumsy, needy, etc.

So, for what may well be our 'last dog', I'm thinking about hypo-allergenic coat. So some poodle mix perhaps. Or Portuguese Water Dog or mix. A water dog, of course. Labradoodle, Goldendoodle, or something similar. Hard to find as a rescue/shelter dog.
    My Border Terrier was 14, and yesterday he hit his limit of how he was coping with a very aggressive cancer. That little dog had been my constant companion, went to work with me, guarded my pickup with its tools and machinery while I was working, took me for walks, went rowing and sailing, told me if there were visitors and generally made my home feel much less lonely.
    But the last few days were very tough, increasing doses of painkillers were enabling him to be 'There' with me for shorter and shorter times, and otherwise obviously very distressed so at 11 30 am, a very kind veterinary surgeon helped him on his way with me holding him to assure him that he was not alone.
    My eyes were very wet as I buried him in a favourite spot in the back garden.

Today though, my ex rang, she'd talked to me often during this whole thing, and said, "You'd better come over, I've got something here that might help".
    She sure did, and now I've a 10 week old Schnauzer Poodle cross, toy size, she's black, 2.5 kg, will grow to about 300mm at the shoulder and around 9 kg, is sound asleep on my lap ( she snores) already comes when called, will fetch her new toy, knows "no" and "sit". Thats after about 4 hours with me. She's so far beyond cute that I'm in wonder.

That mix, along with Dennys ( My ex) Poodle West Highland White cross, and many of the other terrier poodle crosses, are amazingly smart and tough little dogs, full of personality and always ready to please.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

This guy is available at Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh
    95775B88-B7DA-47CE-9620-D7E451EDF773.jpg

https://humaneanimalrescue.org/adopt/
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Trying to decide between a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd, any thoughts?

Full disclosure we have had 3 Border Cookies over the years. I am 65 and this could be the last dog we have.
    Get a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    My Border Terrier was 14, and yesterday he hit his limit of how he was coping with a very aggressive cancer. That little dog had been my constant companion, went to work with me, guarded my pickup with its tools and machinery while I was working, took me for walks, went rowing and sailing, told me if there were visitors and generally made my home feel much less lonely.
    But the last few days were very tough, increasing doses of painkillers were enabling him to be 'There' with me for shorter and shorter times, and otherwise obviously very distressed so at 11 30 am, a very kind veterinary surgeon helped him on his way with me holding him to assure him that he was not alone.
    My eyes were very wet as I buried him in a favourite spot in the back garden.

Today though, my ex rang, she'd talked to me often during this whole thing, and said, "You'd better come over, I've got something here that might help".
    She sure did, and now I've a 10 week old Schnauzer Poodle cross, toy size, she's black, 2.5 kg, will grow to about 300mm at the shoulder and around 9 kg, is sound asleep on my lap ( she snores) already comes when called, will fetch her new toy, knows "no" and "sit". Thats after about 4 hours with me. She's so far beyond cute that I'm in wonder.

That mix, along with Dennys ( My ex) Poodle West Highland White cross, and many of the other terrier poodle crosses, are amazingly smart and tough little dogs, full of personality and always ready to please.

John Welsford
    Congrats!!

BUT... you know the rule. Fotos, or it didn't happen <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but in Australia there isn't a breed called Australian Shepherd. It's an American invention. JayInOz
    I think the connection is to Australian sheep that the originals breeder had and he bred the Australian Shepherd. I think there are several versions of the story along these lines:
    Australian Shepherd Dog Breed Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet

History:

Historical reports on the origin of the Australian shepherd vary widely among various sources. According to one theory, Aussies were entirely developed in the United States to work on ranches. Their ancestors may have been Spanish herding dogs that originated in the Basque region of Spain and France and were brought to the United States with herds of Merino sheep during the early colonial days. Collie may also be in the background of the breed. The dogs are called Australian shepherds only because they were associated with Basque shepherds that came from Australia to the United States in the 1800s.
    Besides working as herding animals, Aussies serve as police dogs, narcotics detectors and competitors in obedience trials. They also make great family pets. They are a recent addition to the AKC herding group; some Aussie breeders fear AKC recognition may create undue emphasis on appearance over ability. The Australian Shepherd Club of America was the main registry of Aussies before AKC recognition and remains a powerful force in the breed.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Well, if you like fleas in your bed and sofa and the smell...

By all means, get a dog.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Well, if you like fleas in your bed and sofa and the smell...

By all means, get a dog.
    You're not trying to suggest that there are better pets than a dog, now are you? A hamster, perhaps? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Who? Me?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

215EAD9E-ACF6-4B47-869B-546773D63B83.jpg

you get a lot more time before the end with one of these. 17-22 years.

And other things, too.

Our dogs put a big feral tomcat up a poplar tree this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    215EAD9E-ACF6-4B47-869B-546773D63B83.jpg

you get a lot more time before the end with one of these. 17-22 years.
    We have 4 now. Our own aging girl, growing decrepit now. Plus the 3 the kids brought with them when they moved in. One Maine Coon. Alternately aloof & snuggly. One huge Siamese. Sweet-tempered but more aloof than not. And, my fave, the black/chocolate 20# Tonkinese. She and I quickly became best buddies. She'll sleep on or beside me every night if I'd let here... but she is a restless sleeper, so I don't. But any time I sit, she's liable to be right up on my lap. Personality is kinda half-cat/half-dog. Comes when called. Speaks when spoken to. Leaves the room when told. Playful as heck. Loves the foot/hand under the covers game. Jumps up or jumps down upon suggestion. Very vocal. In fact purrs with the slightest provocation, and talks a LOT. Also lots of head-butts and nuzzling. Loves being worn like a stole as I walk around the house. Interesting crab-like sidling gait, and inquisitive head-tilt.

But I've never had a cat want to go camping with me, or boating. Though my darling mil took her two in the camper with her for two looping cross-country trips. Or protect the house, or the kids. Or want to play with the loud rambunctious children.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The Border and Aussie have a similar temperaments they are bred for the same purposes and I suspect there is a lot of Border in the Aussi from before the days of breeds being a fixed class.
    They are more in appearance of a Border than the Basque shepherd they claim they are descendant of.

We have had Border and or Rough Collies for over 40 years, 8 at the same time at one point. If you are doubtful of your fitness to carry on with Borders, I'd recommend a Rough, they have much the same temperament, but are much more laid back.
    In three months we'll start searching for another Rough, we are the same age as Rigadog, while we can cope with a Border now, in 15 years?

Not 10ft from me is our current Border Collie, very concerned as SWMBO has just gone out, at an unusual time, to a weaving group exhibition.
    Here's 12 Year old Ben.

IMG_20220610_135144.jpg
    Some of our previous Rough Collies from left to right as you look at them, Odin, Crystal, Baron, Amber, Glenn.

woofs2.jpg

Oh cats? We've had one, but they can cause other problems..
    Here's my brother's cat.
    20220914_053539064.jpg
    Last edited by The Q; 10-01-2022 at 02:53 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

This little chap was "free to good home".
    He has now moved on to another loving family home at no cost, as sadly my ex has advanced dementia and needs constant attention in a care home.

DSCN0184.jpg

ETA: "Who, me?" Same dog.
    He enjoyed the mud more than being hosed down afterwards.

ben wet.jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 10-01-2022 at 04:20 AM.

Dogs and humans are unique in their coevolved relationship. No other pair of species can read each others' moods as we and dogs do, nor offer mutual emotional connection.

Since no one else will say it and I don't GAF, I'm going to speak on behalf of the tens of thousands of dogs that die alone at a dog pound, who's senior people died or couldn't take care of them any more. At 75, you may outlive your prospective pooch but the likelihood is diminishing by the year and there is nothing more sad than a pup who has to spend the last weeks in a shelter, alone, abandoned, and stressed out when it could have been prevented. I've cursed more than a few selfish POSs who didn't think of what would happen to their dog or other pets after their passing. That said, buying a dog is stupid and selfish. There are so many dogs like I just described, waiting to live their last years in a loving home. Foster or adopt them, don't support breeders. The need for a vanity dog is effing ridiculous.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

027DE412-1699-4C14-A1EE-7C4F2B825307.jpg
    Apollo, above, is a Maltese-Poodle mix. No shedding (hypo-allergenic). Super smart and loving.